today's handful - testing sigma 30mm f1.4

matwhittington

Link Posted 01/05/2010 - 20:03
Hello all, being a weekend () I have been out and about again - this time trying out the sigma 30mm f1.4 which I picked up from a second hand shop in the week. Being a bank holiday the weather has broken a bit so not the same bright sunshine of the last couple of weeks but such is life. Here are a handful anyway - hope you like them...

First up, backlit leaves:

A Fly takes a break in its otherwise hectic day:

The sky starts to glower a bit (I might have gone a bit overboard on the PP...:

One of the Egyptian Geese takes his turn on sentry duty at the pond:

Finally, some leaves which I took at f1.4 to see what the lens was like at its biggest aperture...

As ever, any comments welcome. Overall impressions of the sigma 30mm is pretty favourable. It seems pretty well put together, It seems pretty sharp and is a good size on the camera. Chunkier than one of the Pentax ltd primes and it doesn't have quick shift - although autofocus is very quick. I shall have to try it out in low light (the f1.4 was what interested me in the lens in the first place) - focussing seems trickier at the biggest aperture setting...

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

My Flickr: link

aliengrove

Link Posted 01/05/2010 - 21:57
I really like the first picture, great patterns and tones! Works really well as B+W. Did you notice the spooky face in the top right third?

I also like the other B+W one, though I think it might have been better with more of the tree included. It's a shame about the light on the goose shot, a bit of sunshine would have made it a great shot!
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

mikew

Link Posted 01/05/2010 - 22:12
Last one for me Mat. The DOf at 1.4 is pretty slim and mine needed some AF adjustment to make it reliable. It is a lovely lens.
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

CoDa

Link Posted 01/05/2010 - 23:26
The duck and leaves are great shots
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

matwhittington

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 09:10
Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated - I shall definitely have to keep playing with the lens at f1.4... I have spotted the spooky face now (I think) in the top right of the leaves - scary teeth

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

Cliff-P

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 18:50
Love the two mono shots Mat, The leaf patterns in the first are incredible, and the sky in the second one is stunning. Great photography as usual.

aliengrove wrote:
did you notice the spooky face in the top right third?

Just seen it, Very weird
Cliff.

My Flickr link
Nikon D750, D7000 , Nikkor 80-400, 70-300 and 18-200 lenses

matwhittington

Link Posted 02/05/2010 - 21:19
Thanks very much Cliff

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

womble

Link Posted 03/05/2010 - 00:37
I love the first leaves shot, very pleasing image indeed. The last shot is pretty good too Number 3 could be great if you toned down the PP a tad

Looks like a lovely lens!

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

i-Berg

Link Posted 03/05/2010 - 08:48
Evil Face? Or Teletubby?

Good work Mat, the last shot and the BW for me (agree re the post-processing FWIW).
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

matwhittington

Link Posted 03/05/2010 - 10:03
Thanks guys - I thought I had got a little carried away on the PP in the third one Think the leaves is my favourite of this set though - I'm using it as my computer background for now...

Cheers

Mat W
Mat W

royd63uk

Link Posted 03/05/2010 - 10:21
great shots ,i love the leaves one too.As a colour image was there any pf in that shot?

Roy
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery

matwhittington

Link Posted 03/05/2010 - 14:12
I'm being dense - pf??

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

DOIK

Link Posted 03/05/2010 - 14:23
Only you can answer that Mat. Read this and you will be an expert.
LINK

John

matwhittington

Link Posted 03/05/2010 - 14:48
A-ha! purple fringing... I don't think so, or not apparent to me anyway... (having now been back to have a look...)

Here is the colour version of the leaves shot:

and here are a couple of '100%' crops of the image - first one from near the centre of the image:

and this one from the very edge (bottom right corner)

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

royd63uk

Link Posted 03/05/2010 - 17:29
nope these are perfect.
i want one of these

roy
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.