To the woods, to the woods ! (K1 image heavy).

davidwozhere

Link Posted 17/04/2019 - 11:49
It happens every year but is no less beautiful for that. The woods and hedgerows shed their drabness and come alive with colour.
Many spring photos tend to concentrate on that colour alone and are shot at the height of the flowering season. I decided to make
use of that softer period, when the process first begins, by concentrating on those pioneers that first pop their heads out of
their buds. The main benefits are less leaves and more even light, enabling some really nice "portraits".

1. My favourite wood is a remnant of the Forest of Arden which contains something of everything, with surprises at every turn.

2. Looking straight up from that spot, the canopy is just beginning to break bud. (There was a squirrel up there too !)

3. And straight down, just off to the side, is one of nature's strangest creations - a slime mould, which is a mobile community of
fungus-like entities that uses its collective strengths to move on (almost literally 'flowing on') to new pastures and, eventually, as
is happening here, to condense into a hard cyst that will mature, burst and scatter its spores to start the process over.

4. Blackthorn is the first to appear. Great thickets of white without any leaves at all suddenly appear that almost demand that
you photograph their flowers against the bright sunshine.

5. On the ground, wood anemones appear in their hundreds ....

6. .... accompanied by flashy, glossy celandines that look for all the world like enameled metal.

7. And before it gets swamped by stinging nettles, the gorgeous yellow 'dead nettle' called archangel is worth a close look.
A bee's weight on that dazzling landing pad causes the lid to clamp shut over its hairy bum, depositing a great load of pollen.

8. At the same time a 'giant' chickweed called stitchwort is making use of unoccupied patches alongside the path. It needs
to grow, flower and seed quickly before brambles and nettles overtake it.

9. But we can't ignore the bluebells! All their lovely detail is lost when photographed en masse. When there is no
competition from huge carpets of them you are naturally encouraged to examine the forms of individual flowers.

12. I was very surprised to find this white forgetmenot. It's a 'first' as far as I am concerned.

13. And a lovely little collection from the side of the path to finish it off.

Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

LennyBloke

Link Posted 17/04/2019 - 11:57
A nice little set David with some good variety, but no.s 9 and 13 stand out (for me) with that partially OOF background style - really like that, must remember to try that one again myself
LennyBloke

derek897

Link Posted 17/04/2019 - 12:02
LennyBloke wrote:
A nice little set David with some good variety, but no.s 9 and 13 stand out (for me) with that partially OOF background style - really like that, must remember to try that one again myself

Wot he said
Cracking set, and very informative too
I know what i like, If not always why.

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 17/04/2019 - 12:59
Thank you David for taking us through the woodland ramble. That was very enjoyable. Lovely images to boot.
YouTube: Photography Vlog
Facebook: Photography Page Weekly Updates and Musings
Twitter: Photography Mini Thoughts
Instagram: Yes, Here
Flickr: Yes Here

ronniemac

Link Posted 17/04/2019 - 19:20
Fantastic photos, well worth getting down low and dirtying the knees for!

Also I really like the view looking up through the trees, much nicer before they break into leaf!

Thanks also for the interesting commentary.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 18/04/2019 - 08:52
Very informative David... rather like the tree canopy and fungus shots of themselves... your commentary adds a meaning and context not just for this set, but also a gd reminder as to what’s around and about if you choose to notice it...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Lubbyman

Link Posted 18/04/2019 - 21:34
An imaginative concept, imaginatively and skillfully executed.

For hanging on the wall, nos. 2 and 13. But my favourite is no. 8, the insects going about their business show nature as a work-in-progress rather than just a thing of beauty.

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 19/04/2019 - 00:01
A couple of days later, the slime mould's exterior had hardened into a rigid skin. It is just beginning to crack at the bottom right. After a few more days it will all be gone as if it never existed. This cyst is about 3inches long by 1.5ins across.

Last Edited by davidwozhere on 19/04/2019 - 00:02

RobL

Link Posted 19/04/2019 - 07:27
A beautiful set, thanks for the commentary. Those look like native bluebells too which is a bonus.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 20/04/2019 - 00:34
Thank you to everyone for their kind comments. I'm glad that my own comments were useful as I often wonder whether I should go on at such length.
The bluebells are indeed native British ones. This is an ancient wood but even so, there are a few "Spanish" invaders. The English Archangel is under threat too from the imported variegated kind.

derek897

Link Posted 20/04/2019 - 00:50
I definitely found them useful.
Well written and informative top of the class sir 🌟
I know what i like, If not always why.

pschlute

Link Posted 20/04/2019 - 12:42
I love no. 2
Peter

My Flickr page

Sry

Link Posted 26/04/2019 - 21:45
Very interesting set. 13 works best for me as an image, great light and composition, and the slime mould images are of great interest.

Defragged

Link Posted 26/04/2019 - 21:59
Lovely. You can't beat woods for beauty, especially at this time of year. There's a guy I sometime follow on Youtube who is heavily into woodland.

He is called Simon Baxter. Inspirational vlog of his here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ATf6MsOdTA for anyone who might be interested.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.