Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Tips for pictures of new born babies

Eastridge
Posted 03/04/2012 - 10:13 Link
At some point in the next few weeks my sister will (hopefully) give birth & wants pictures of 'it' (they've chosen not to know the sex)fairly soon after birth whilst it still looking 'new born' (not sure how long that lasts not having had kids myself.)

Seen lots of poor pictures of new borns from work collegues etc. & not all the rubbish ones have been taken on phones. I am sure hospital surroundings and lighting don't make it easy.

Any tips or suggestions for compesition to aviod bad photos & cliched poses?
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod
Frogherder
Posted 03/04/2012 - 10:30 Link
Try NOT to use flash, I found it's stark and even when diffused tends to be disruptive (the mother and any other occupants of the ward). At this time of year diffused daylight should be ideal and soft.

Start with the cliched poses, but include whatever else comes along. Check that the new mum has at least brushed her hair, she'll not thank you if she thinks she looks a "sight", even if the little one is a world beater.

regards
Bernard
walkeja
Posted 03/04/2012 - 11:52 Link
Also check on the lights of the ward, and change the white balance to suit this lighting.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
ChrisA
Posted 03/04/2012 - 19:38 Link
My tip would be not to show the pictures to anyone except the parents.

This is because there are two groups of viewers.

One consists of the parents, to whom the child in question is obviously and unarguably the most beautiful baby of any species that has ever appeared on planet Earth.

The other group consists of everyone else, who are mostly too polite to tell the truth.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
DaveHolmes
Posted 03/04/2012 - 20:23 Link
Don't use flash on newborns! Within the first 8 weeks of birth flash can in fact damage a baby's eyes...
Natural and diffused sources of light are the way forward... A big window facing the sun with a net-curtain is ideal...
If you're still on the ward make sure to shoot in RAW as you may have conflicting light sources (daylight vs flourescent tubes etc), this will give you more options in post-production...
Do the photos while he/she is sleeping and put a towel over the top of the camera to muffle the shutter noise... Screaming infants don't look good in photographs...

Make sure that at some point you put down your camera and have a cuddle!

That's all I've got!

Enjoy Unclehood (or Auntiehood... Not sure if you're Sharon or Glen?) and until they hit 6 and a half give them as many sweets as you can! They're not keeping those teeth anyway!!
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Edited by DaveHolmes: 03/04/2012 - 20:26
ChrisA
Posted 03/04/2012 - 20:37 Link
DaveHolmes wrote:
Don't use flash on newborns! Within the first 8 weeks of birth flash can in fact damage a baby's eyes...

Got any evidence for this?

This assertion has been around for years, but I think it's been fairly comprehensively debunked.

I mean, obviously don't go firing the thing into the poor kid's eyes from two inches away. But you wouldn't do that to yourself, either.

I think this one is a bit of an urban myth.

A couple of articles on the subject (but DYOR)...

http://www.sublime-light.com/index.php/2007/09/17/will-flash-damage-babies-sensi...

--

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/16411/is-camera-flash-actually-harmful-...

Seriously, don't you think that if it was a real risk, we'd be inundated with health warnings from a) the nanny state and b) all the flashgun makers desperate to avoid lawsuits?
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Edited by ChrisA: 03/04/2012 - 20:39
DaveHolmes
Posted 03/04/2012 - 21:01 Link
ChrisA wrote:
DaveHolmes wrote:

Got any evidence for this?

This assertion has been around for years, but I think it's been fairly comprehensively debunked.

I just looked for some (as I was sure it was correct) and it seems you're absolutely right... Cheers for the reading!

I've believed that for so long!!

I bow to the infinite wisdom of the rest of the world

To the OP... Use flash if you want... I love flash... But I'd still opt for a large south-facing window with a net curtain... I'd still shoot RAW... I'd still shoot while the baby is sleeping... I'd still muffle the sound of the shutter... I'd still put my camera down and get my cuddle... And as the kid get bigger I'd still be the Uncle that give him/her too many sweets...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Film:

pentaxian450
Posted 03/04/2012 - 23:14 Link
One tip that will prove valuable with years: Take pictures of the kid at different stage of childhood with (the same) large stuffed animal. Taking pictures of the kid alone won't give a sense of scale as the kid grows up (very fast in the early stage of life), so the stuffed animal will be the reference.

Also, take pictures of the little hands and feet in the happy parent's hand. They will also change quickly, so it's nice to have them as souvenir.

Lastly (from me), try to take the pictures at the baby's height. Standing higher than the kid shooting down gives (most of the time) an awkward perspective, and makes it feel like the infant is "insignificant".

P.S. Don't forget to include the happy parents in some of the pictures.

Good luck.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Eastridge
Posted 04/04/2012 - 09:37 Link
ChrisA wrote:
My tip would be not to show the pictures to anyone except the parents.

This is because there are two groups of viewers.

One consists of the parents, to whom the child in question is obviously and unarguably the most beautiful baby of any species that has ever appeared on planet Earth.

The other group consists of everyone else, who are mostly too polite to tell the truth.

So true, I have already told the parents that I expect the baby to be just as ugly as every newborn I have ever seen and no photo can disguise that. I think they think I was joking
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod
annieogg
Posted 04/04/2012 - 13:25 Link
The pictures I took of my daughters newborn twins weren't that good as hadnt a clue what to do. Didn't get any of my daughter for reasons stated above lol. I was glad a professional did the rounds and we got a cracking image of them. Now they are 10 weeks old and becoming individuals I'm finding it easier to capture them. The suggestion of taking photos of their feet and hands is good the parents will really appreciate them. I found looking at other professional photos gave me some ideas to go at.I found my better attempts were ones when I could get in close.
As for the using flash I still think its best not to use as its very harsh light.
Some of the cliched poses are that for a reason, parents like them and looked back on show the development of the child.
The best advice on here was to put your camera down for a cuddle can't beat that.
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them
Eastridge
Posted 05/04/2012 - 18:21 Link
Thanks everyone some really good tips. Events will move a little faster then planned as sister has just been taken into hossie and is due to be induced as soon as it is safe.

Photos seem unimportant right now but hopefully all will end up well and capturing it's early hours for posterity will be all the more precious.

But yes putting the camera down for a cuddle will be most important.
annieogg
Posted 05/04/2012 - 18:49 Link
Hope everything goes well for your sister. Xxxx
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them
DaveHolmes
Posted 05/04/2012 - 22:15 Link
annieogg wrote:
Hope everything goes well for your sister. Xxxx

Seconded!
Digital:
Flash:
Film:

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.