Thought some of you film lovers might like to see this......

LennyBloke

Link Posted 14/11/2015 - 18:18
... a Pentax MZ-3 Limited Edition kit:

The MZ3 was the flagship in the MZ series from 1997 until the MZ-S was released in 2001. It is essentially the same as the MZ5 but with a higher top speed (1/4000 compared to 1/2000) and was reportedly launched in silver as a companion to the new FA 43mm f1.9 Limited lens. It is very light as much of the construction is plastic but it has a lovely feel to it, much easier on the shoulder than most other Pentax models.

It is difficult to determine exact information about it, as it was only made for limited markets (Japan only?) and never officially released in the US. I believe that the "kit" in the photograph is probably the MZ3 "Limited Edition" boxed kit, there was also a "Special Edition" kit that was the same body but with some gold trimmings and a badge denoting it as the "Special Edition". I don't know how many were produced and can only find little snippets of information about the boxed kit - but it was clearly something Pentax were proud of.

Any info on it would be greatly appreciated!
LennyBloke

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 14/11/2015 - 22:24
Ummmm... where is that?
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

LennyBloke

Link Posted 17/11/2015 - 13:20
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Ummmm... where is that?

Sorry Jonathan - I missed your comment the other day....

...it's in my Pentax shrine ....okay, it's in the study
LennyBloke

Algernon

Link Posted 17/11/2015 - 15:36
I once saw a similar Russian box, but they used dovetails (much stronger) instead of comb joints.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 18/11/2015 - 02:06
I have an MZ-3 body in silver, though in this case I'd prefer black.
Eric Hendrickson installed the improved motor with metal gear and an MZ-M focus screen.
It's an okay camera, but it's still a "plastic Pentax"...

Chris
Bring back the latent image!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 18/11/2015 - 07:05
LennyBloke wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Ummmm... where is that?

I was wondering of you'd seen it somewhere or if it was actually in your possession.

I have a couple of 5Ns which I'm assured have the same build quality as the 3. Nice capable cameras but very flimsy feeling. The set with the 43mm looks nice though.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital

LennyBloke

Link Posted 18/11/2015 - 08:11
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
LennyBloke wrote:
Quote:
Ummmm... where is that?

I was wondering of you'd seen it somewhere or if it was actually in your possession.

I have a couple of 5Ns which I'm assured have the same build quality as the 3. Nice capable cameras but very flimsy feeling. The set with the 43mm looks nice though.

I think the only difference between the 5N and the 3 is the higher top shutter speed and a slightly higher flash sync speed. The subject of the "flimsy" and "plastic" build gets mentioned quite often, but it was a time when they were producing lightweight bodies and lenses, which may not have the same feel as the limiteds, but the quality was still very high. I still use an FA 20-35 and an FA 24-90 quite regularly - their quality is superb and you hardly know you have then in your pocket or camera bag they are so light.

I won't be hanging on to it for too much longer - I've made the decision to sell all my film cameras and most of my manual focus lenses
LennyBloke

jemx99

Link Posted 18/11/2015 - 20:24
Lovely set - will make some collector very happy if you do sell it. Wonder how much something similar with such as a K3 would cost today?
Last Edited by jemx99 on 18/11/2015 - 20:25

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 19/11/2015 - 10:11
Now, if only Pentax could produce a camera with those looks (and size) nd the Sony APS-C sensor, they could out-retro the Nikon Df with much more fanfare
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

JAK

Link Posted 19/11/2015 - 21:21
ilovesaabs wrote:
Now, if only Pentax could produce a camera with those looks (and size) nd the Sony APS-C sensor, they could out-retro the Nikon Df with much more fanfare

Isn't it called a K3 ?
John K

nocturnal

Link Posted 11/07/2016 - 01:40
Being a wood worker I noticed none of you mentioned the beautifully made stained birch plywood box!

No MDF here!

"In a photographic context I don't like the use of the word 'shot' as where I live this word refers to an extreme act of violence and not the beautiful craft of photography"

johnriley

Link Posted 11/07/2016 - 07:10
Plastic has been mentioned a few times, but the chassis and the film gate were still made with metal. This gave the camera rigidity. They were well made and gave very good service.
Best regards, John

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 11/07/2016 - 20:22
johnriley wrote:
Plastic has been mentioned a few times, but the chassis and the film gate were still made with metal. This gave the camera rigidity. They were well made and gave very good service.

Yes, until the critical plastic gear breaks and the camera becomes completely disabled.
That weak link was the entire model line's downfall.

Chris
Bring back the latent image!
Last Edited by ChrisPlatt on 11/07/2016 - 20:23

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 12/07/2016 - 20:26
Oh Dear !! I was given an MZ-5 -- the flash holder spring was already broken so I have to hold it up with my 'Little Pinky' if using it for fill-in -- now worried about that 'gear' you mentioned --
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 13/07/2016 - 07:01
Peter Elgar wrote:
Oh Dear !! I was given an MZ-5 -- the flash holder spring was already broken so I have to hold it up with my 'Little Pinky' if using it for fill-in -- now worried about that 'gear' you mentioned --

The gear in one of my 5Ns failed a few weeks ago. I have received my order of a few new brass gears from a company in Poland so I'll need to see how it goes replacing it. It seems to be fairly difficult to get to the gear in order to replace it.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.