Those pesky hover drone bee things - nailed it !

davidwozhere

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 01:46
Lockdown has given us a lot of time to play so I wasted (?) an entire afternoon chasing bees of one sort or another,
including those hovering beasts that zip out of frame before you get chance to focus on them.

Starting with the worst picture, they are amazingly streamlined and built for high speed - teardrop shaped body, Buggatti sloped
rear aerofoil in place of a fat abdomen and I bet all those hairs lie flat whatever direction it shoots off.

One problem I found was that wherever you chose to stand, the thing would always turn its back on you ! I found it
almost impossible to get a head-first image. It's as if they take the stance, "out of sight, out of mind".

Almost but not quite a side view.

At least we now know they have a dark patch on each wing.

It isn't because they like a particular orientation to the sun. These pictures are from North East South and West.

K1 with an FA* 300mm, ISO800, f7.1 and 1/1250second.
Does anybody know what the proper name is for these bee drone things?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

08tiger

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 07:38
You did well as I know how hard they are to get a good shot of,
C&C welcome.
Don.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 09:04
Nice shooting David
LennyBloke

Lubbyman

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 10:49
You did well, sir.

It looks like the same type of thing I was chasing a few days ago. Agree about them turning their back on you. A totally camera shy species!

Steve

cbrog

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 11:50
If this one is the same variety as yours David then my reference books suggest it is the hoverfly Eristalis Tenax, commonly known as the Dronefly.

Roger
Last Edited by cbrog on 17/04/2020 - 11:51

davidwozhere

Link Posted 18/04/2020 - 01:02
That looks like the beast. Thanks.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.