The Unicorn is ready to be set free (FF)!

Dodge69

Link Posted 05/02/2015 - 13:29
Frustrating news.... waiting all these years and now the next few months are gonna kill me!

Nearly every weekend I thought is this the one I stick all the Pentax gear on Ebay..... now it will be is this the weekend this Canon gear goes on Ebay!

20mp+ FF sensor in a K5/3 body with the Pentax interface and controls, and without doubt the Pentax DR, IS and WR?

Yes please, the only thing that worries me is the price, and I doubt it will have the usual Pentax APSC drop off
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

McGregNi

Link Posted 05/02/2015 - 17:01
I guess if it keeps selling and emptying the shelves them no, the price would hold. If not (and why not?) then I'm sure we'd see the discounts. Does this now mean that aps-c ONLY lenses will start to fall in price? And what about the K3, in particular ... Will we see the bargains begin?

The lack of pop-up flash provides an opportunity. Instead of having to use two flashguns', imagine what else might be installed in that (quite big) pentaprism housing..... All kind of communicative gadgetry .... GPS, WiFi, .... Could we dream even for some kind of radio flash trigger system, with on camera controls for the slave flashes Now I really am salivating!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

cabstar

Link Posted 05/02/2015 - 18:10
McGregNi wrote:
I guess if it keeps selling and emptying the shelves them no, the price would hold. If not (and why not?) then I'm sure we'd see the discounts. Does this now mean that aps-c ONLY lenses will start to fall in price? And what about the K3, in particular ... Will we see the bargains begin?

The lack of pop-up flash provides an opportunity. Instead of having to use two flashguns', imagine what else might be installed in that (quite big) pentaprism housing..... All kind of communicative gadgetry .... GPS, WiFi, .... Could we dream even for some kind of radio flash trigger system, with on camera controls for the slave flashes Now I really am salivating!

Well the body shows a GPs logo and the lens also states af in video mode and mentions the SR system too..
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Algernon

Link Posted 05/02/2015 - 18:29
Does this mean no APS-C cameras released this year? If they do intend to release any it was very silly to say that a FF would be released at the end of the year.

It's also too early to be mentioning Christmas

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 05/02/2015 - 20:51
If they go the same way as with APS-C models, the new FF model will be around the price of the cheaper CaNikons but smaller, with superior build quality, superior feature set but slightly inferior AF. I suspect it'll also have a bigger, brighter viewfinder than any other FF DSLR ever made.

I think if they make it with a de-crippled K mount allowing metered manual or Av modes with K and M42 lenses, it'll be a hit with everyone who loves old glass.

This may also finally be the moment to give the FA limiteds a make-over and re-release them as DFA with updated coatings quick-shift.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

johnha

Link Posted 05/02/2015 - 22:47
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I think if they make it with a de-crippled K mount allowing metered manual or Av modes with K and M42 lenses, it'll be a hit with everyone who loves old glass.

If it can open aperture meter with any K mount lens it would help pull many more users to the camera. Nikon pretended to offer full backwards compatibility with the Df, as I understand it you have to set the aperture twice (once on the lens, once on the body) to the same value.

Open-aperture metering with M42 lenses was never possible on K mount cameras, only the SMC-Takumars had an aperture simulator but the K->M42 adapter has no mechanism to transmit this to the body.

John.
PPG Flickr

womble

Link Posted 05/02/2015 - 23:51
Is it my imagination or does the pentaprism echo the old 67 in the way the K7/5/3's echos the LX?

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

womble

Link Posted 06/02/2015 - 11:42
Just noticed that quite a few people on the US fora also note the similarity to the 6x7.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Algernon

Link Posted 06/02/2015 - 12:21
You mean they are bringing out a Digital 6x7

The pentaprism is not finished it will have to have a flash hot-shoe.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

BrianL

Link Posted 06/02/2015 - 16:52
Think Sony a900/850, that's what it reminds me of.
Brian

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 06/02/2015 - 18:44
Glad to see that this will be a reasonably sized full frame; with the user having the option of adding in items such as a battery grip. Sure is better than having to carry around a flagship Nikon D3 or D4, with all of that added size and weight

McGregNi

Link Posted 07/02/2015 - 08:47
We would surely all feel deprived if we were unable to have, upon the cameras release, a 'Pentax FF- Grip or No Grip? ' forum thread !
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.