Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

The Unicorn is ready to be set free (FF)!

cabstar
Posted 04/02/2015 - 22:58 Link
Fatdaz wrote:
Well, I am now glad to say that the recent impulse buy of a Nikon D750 was returned under the instruction from the boss. To be rewarded by Pentax/Ricoh releasing the FF potential at the end of 2015.

I think a few sweetners for my love will be in the offing throughout the year this year, to ensure me a nice little reward come Christmas

All in the name of research and photography Pentax style of course. To boot the lenses we all buy for our kit, looks like they will be compatible

Back of the net!!!!! 😄

Same here my finger has been primed to purchase a d750 but this changes everything. 36 megapixel and 24 megapixel in crop mode for existing DA lenses is a genius move by Ricoh and a fantastic upgrade path for existing users.

The fact they have also managed to keep the SR in body is an amazing piece of technology.

Can't wait!!!
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
seaside
Posted 04/02/2015 - 23:08 Link
YIPPPEEEEEEE!
Mike-P
Posted 04/02/2015 - 23:14 Link
cabstar wrote:
36 megapixel and 24 megapixel in crop mode for existing DA lenses is a genius move by Ricoh and a fantastic upgrade path for existing users.

36MP D810 has a crop mode which produces 15.4MP file size.

I don't think the new Pentax will be any different.
richandfleur
Posted 05/02/2015 - 00:11 Link
I'm quite excited by what I'm seeing here...

Comment Image
richandfleur
Posted 05/02/2015 - 00:14 Link
Mike-P wrote:
cabstar wrote:
36 megapixel and 24 megapixel in crop mode for existing DA lenses is a genius move by Ricoh and a fantastic upgrade path for existing users.

36MP D810 has a crop mode which produces 15.4MP file size.

I don't think the new Pentax will be any different.

Yeah not sure about a 'genius move', that's a bit extreme given it's pretty common

If the K mount lens fits a FF body, then you can use it and crop the Vignette out yourself later on.

In video terms this feature also means you get 'two' focal lengths out of a FF prime, because either option has to be scaled down to 2MP for full HD 1920x1080 video.
cabstar
Posted 05/02/2015 - 00:47 Link
I don't see how it can be fairly common given only the d800 range and I think a sony has over 30 mp sensors.

I also love they have revived the FA brand again
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
richandfleur
Posted 05/02/2015 - 00:58 Link
cabstar wrote:
I don't see how it can be fairly common given only the d800 range and I think a sony has over 30 mp sensors.

I was meaning the concept is common, rather than it being applied to FF sensors specifically. At FF level Sony and Nikon do it, but the concept is used in video on several smaller sensor cameras.

If you have a 16mp sensor and you're trying to output a 2MP image for Full HD video, then you have to scale the 16MP image down, a lot. Instead you could take a 2MP section from the middle of the 16MP sensor, giving massive zoomage, without utilising any digital scaling to achieve it. It just becomes a 1:1 pixel transfer process at that stage.

Done nicely, you could have a range of scaled down points, all giving the same perspective, but narrower fields of view each time, all from a prime lens, simply because you are utilising less of the full sensor each time, which is basically what APS-C crop mode on a FF sensor is doing.
richandfleur
Posted 05/02/2015 - 01:00 Link
cabstar wrote:

The fact they have also managed to keep the SR in body is an amazing piece of technology.

I wonder how it will compare with Sony's FF 5axis version...
McGregNi
Posted 05/02/2015 - 06:29 Link
Now Richard, that's merely an academic point ... Irrelevant to Pentax shooters really who now have the logical and smoothest upgrade path laid out

My Pentax SR has always done wondrous things ... I've recently been able to shoot with my new Tamron (FF lens!) at 300 mm, handheld, in dim daylight at ISO 400 (still good quality on the K7) getting great sharp shots at 1/100th sec ... Very pleased with that!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 05/02/2015 - 06:33
CMW
Posted 05/02/2015 - 10:27 Link
I prophesied in a post a while back that the timing of such a camera would be dependent on when (unconvinced Pentax would ever get round to a FF) I reluctantly sold my K5 and associated lenses and bought into a new system. Well, I sold and bought barely two weeks ago ... clearly, triggering Pentax's current announcement.

I'm still a Pentaxian (MX-1) but also now a Nikonian (D810). I doubt I'll be back for another Pentax dslr (changing systems doesn't come cheap!), but I don't doubt Pentax will give the other brands a run for their money with the new FF camera.

To echo comments above, the D810 already has the facility to shoot in crop mode, so that on its own will not be a novel feature of the Pentax. Mind you, I can't see myself ever wanting to use crop mode on a FF -- it's rather like the tail wagging the dog. One area where Pentax could score markedly, based on their track record, is in making a noticeably more compact camera than those offered by the competitor SLRs.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
McBrian
Posted 05/02/2015 - 10:53 Link
Quote:
Pentax could score markedly, based on their track record, is in making a noticeably more compact camera than those offered by the competitor SLRs.

Taking the on/off switch and the IR window as reference points this body looks to be no bigger than a K3, slightly higher though with that FF viewfinder
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
McGregNi
Posted 05/02/2015 - 11:23 Link
CMW wrote:
I .... One area where Pentax could score markedly, based on their track record, is in making a noticeably more compact camera than those offered by the competitor SLRs.

NO !!! I want it BIGGER! I'd love a design where the size, shape and functions of the current grips were fully integrated into the main body design.

But I'm resigned to the fact that I guess I'll have to keep buying and screwing on a grip.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Mike-P
Posted 05/02/2015 - 11:54 Link
Some specifications from a Spanish site (not confirmed)

MODEL: ---- TYPE : Digital SLR Camera
SENSOR : 36 Megapixel CMOS Full frame without lowpass filter
FRAME: Pentax KAF3 with stainless steel bayonet .
SYSTEM APPROACH
SAFOX XI with phase detection with 27 pts (25 in cross and 3 of f2.8 )
VISOR : pentaprism Coverage: 100 %
LCD DISPLAY: 3.2 "
TFT swing
EMBEDDED FLASH : No
EXTERNAL FLASH : Zapada (P- TTL ) high-speed sync and wireless compatible with Pentax flashes , take X -sync
STORAGE : 2 SDXC
STABILIZATION : Sensor system with reduced movement and rotation compensation system ( 3,5EV TBD)
MEASURING SYSTEM LIGHT : TTL , using a 86000 pixels RGB sensor .
ISO Sensitivity : 100-102400"
McGregNi
Posted 05/02/2015 - 12:08 Link
Sounds great ... 'No Embedded Flash' marks a change though ! Of course top Pro models on other brands don't have a pop-up either (their user base will mostly have a flashgun stuck on it permanently I guess!).

Will be interesting to see is this marks a change in intended user base. For now, even the flagship aps-c models have a pop-up ... useful for a range of users, both those not competent with flash (who might just use the pop-up much as they did with a compact), plus with sophisticated flashgun and wireless features built in. It raises the question though ..... will we lose the ability to trigger wirelessly an off-camera flash unless we have a second flashgun?
DrOrloff
Posted 05/02/2015 - 12:43 Link
It seems that they have designed a camera just for me, I'm sure many others feel the same. This is excellent, it looks like Ricoh have got it spot on.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.