The Unicorn is ready to be set free (FF)!

jules

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 19:18
We'll be in competition then Bill!
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

richandfleur

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 20:22
saxon wrote:

2014 Pentax 645Z 51 megapixel medium format DSLR launched at a price point £7000 one third of its Hasselblad competitors. First medium format digital camera with on board video recording.

I've seen this big Pentax history list post a bit lately and think one needs to be careful with the content. Example would be the above comment on the 645Z video, for which it's been absolutely rubbished in reviews.

It's my opinion that Pentax would have been better off not including this feature on the camera. As pointed out it's an absolute beast of a thing at a simply mind boggling price point, when compared to others in the MF arena. Including video made a good line on the PR release, but it gave such an easy point to be marked against it in the reviews.

eg:
Fairly thorough and hands on 645z Youtube review
Last Edited by richandfleur on 04/02/2015 - 20:22

richandfleur

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 20:39
johnriley wrote:
The term "kit lens" has become almost synonymous with the expectation of a low priced, moderate quality introduction to a range. I think that's a pity, because Pentax have some very good "kit lenses" - that is, lenses that are often supplied coupled with a camera body.

Fully agree John. The offerings from Canikon especially are shockingly sub par when compared to the Pentax standard offering. I genuinely think very highly of the WR kit lens on my K-30 and played to it's strengths it performs exceptionally well.

I wish it was a little wider, and notice a lot of kit lenses nowadays are coming in a 16-50 sort of range, but by all accounts the distortion is pretty bad at the wide end. You end up losing the wider field of view when you correct the distortion and crop after in post.

I'm agreeing with both sides of the fence on a lot of points lately, but the standard 70-200mm f2.8 field of view has essentially been covered on APS-C by existing lenses, so releasing one now does rather suggest something to bolt it onto is in the works. The costs will be up there, but hey, if one has the money, needs it for specific work etc, then I'd love for them to be able to purchase a Pentax FF body, rather than having to head off elsewhere.

So, FF is not for me, from a money perspective. Personally I'd love FF, as this would start to head me back to the film days response from lenses and depth of field capabilities from a larger sensors. I can live in APS-C land though, and with the lack of funds, will simply have to. I have high hopes for the recently displayed development product, which looked to be a K-50 replacement. I've got a mental list of around 3 key things, mostly video related really, which if addressed should keep me well happy for quite some time.

Regardless of sensor size though, I would like to see some lower mega pixel options, which prioritise low light / higher clean ISO abilities. Each time the resolution increases on a given sensor size, the pixel size decreases and so does the low light ability. I'm quite prepared to take a 12 - 16MP image if I can punch on longer into the evening without needing to bring out the flash. ie candid shots around a camp fire, at a shutter speed that prevents motion blur etc.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 04/02/2015 - 20:42

jules

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 21:02
With you there Richard, I'd like to see a split line for K3 update, a high Mp backlit sensor (If it really does offer improvements, and the Sony ones are coming...), for the likes of myself and a lower Mp one, oh lets say, the magic 16Mp But brought up to date with all the latest anti noise snake oil for sports shooters, erm for the likes of myself...

Honestly I don't always just think of myself...
Cheers Jules...

jules

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 21:04
http://photorumors.com/2015/02/04/rumors-pentax-may-have-their-new-full-frame-ds...
Cheers Jules...

Mike-P

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 21:14

I went to the link and from there I went on to their previous older post .. the first (of approx 50) was:

Quote:
Pentax representative: Full frame Pentax DSLR in 2010
By PR admin | Published: October 19, 2009

. My Flickr

saxon

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 21:52
Countdown to launch here:

T-minus 9 minutes and counting:

Though to what I can only guess but I know what I'm hoping for - such shame that Pentax themselves haven't done the countdown thing on their website that they did for the 645Z...

I'm riveted.

Jonathan
www.jonathangorsephotography.com

richandfleur

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 22:00
Canon did a countdown timer and it was a complete PR flop.

Just sayin

here link
Last Edited by richandfleur on 04/02/2015 - 22:02

Mike-P

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 22:01
February 5, 2015

RICOH IMAGING to exhibit a reference product at CP+2015 camera and imaging show

RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce the exhibition of a reference product — a digital SLR camera currently under development — at CP+ 2015, one of the largest and most comprehensive camera and imaging shows in Asia. This annual event will be held from February 12 to 15 at the PACIFICO Yokohama convention center in Japan.

Reference Product
Digital SLR camera
Product name: to be decided

K-mount digital SLR camera with a large, 35mm full-frame image sensor
Compatible with DA-series interchangeable lenses, using an image-cropping function
Currently under development for market launch by the end of 2015

Note: The specifications and exterior design of this product are yet to be finalized.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 04/02/2015 - 22:03

wvbarnes

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 22:09
So as rumoured some time ago a dual use camera. I'm guessing 36mp full frame and 24 mp cropped. I look forward to buying one in a couple of years when prices have come down as with my new K3 which I consider a bargain at £599.

[quote:3496ace15f="Mike-P"]February 5, 2015

RICOH IMAGING to exhibit a reference product at CP+2015 camera and imaging show

Compatible with DA-series interchangeable lenses, using an image-cropping function
Currently under development for market launch by the end of 2015

NeilP

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 22:10
This just popped up on Twitter (official Ricoh account)

We're excited to announce exhibition of a reference product, a digital SLR currently under development at CP+ 2015
http://ow.ly/i/8vXIF
UK Wildlife blog ----- UK Wildlife Facebook page ----- UK wildlife Twitter
Last Edited by NeilP on 04/02/2015 - 22:11

jules

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 22:12
End of year Mike, eh, looks really nice but not for me, lens prices as predicted and about right as long as the performance is there, no mention of the new APSC and collapsable zoom that were shown at CES, I wonder if they will release those at CP+?
It looks a little like a scaled down 6x7, which is no bad thing? One thing, it shows good commitment on Ricoh's behalf to sink that much into Pentax, very good as long as it does not cripple my beloved K's or the 645 line, they will have to tread carefully there, it's not a position any other company is really in, fingers in all the pies but at least it looks like they are prepared to stay around, long term for which we should all be thankful...
Could be a good year, I may actually end up having to spend nothing at all, cheers Ricoh!

Alternatively, all ye second hand APSC Lenses come unto me!

There will be some spontaneous human combustion going on over the pond...
Cheers Jules...

Last Edited by jules on 04/02/2015 - 22:33

bjolester

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 22:17
Pentax FF DSLR: I probably made a wise decision when I decided to keep on to my FA* 28-70/2.8. Should make a fine normal zoom on Full Frame
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

K10D

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 22:35
The boys over the pond seem very excited. One commented that it will be unique as a FF DSLR with in body IS. If the DSLR were changed to 35mm format it suddenly isn't unique. Sony beat us to that.

If it is launched at the end of the year it’s still a way off. I would have been much happier with Easter or around that time. The other side of it means that the new lens prices may have dropped by the time the body is available.

Best regards
When something goes wrong in the circus, they send clowns into the arena to distract the audience.

Fatdaz

Link Posted 04/02/2015 - 22:47
Well, I am now glad to say that the recent impulse buy of a Nikon D750 was returned under the instruction from the boss. To be rewarded by Pentax/Ricoh releasing the FF potential at the end of 2015.

I think a few sweetners for my love will be in the offing throughout the year this year, to ensure me a nice little reward come Christmas

All in the name of research and photography Pentax style of course. To boot the lenses we all buy for our kit, looks like they will be compatible

Back of the net!!!!! 😄
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/slimdaz http://www.flickr.com/photos/slimdaz/
http://500px.com/darrensmith1
Last Edited by Fatdaz on 04/02/2015 - 22:48
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.