Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

The Unicorn is ready to be set free (FF)!

jules
Posted 04/02/2015 - 05:46 Link
Interesting tidbit from Asahiman over on Dpreview

"At CES it was a 90% ready lens.
The big zoom is ready like the 70-200.
The Fullframe SLR has a classic body,little bit like K-3 Style,but different.
Only a couple of people has seen the first pictures this week,Pentax will show more for public at CP+.
Camera could be available in Summer/little later,maybe autumn.
So,this year i get confirmed my last informations i given here,70-200,1x0-4x0 and fullframe body slr type!
It looks like that Pentax is using the CP+ for fullframe.
Like the last was made for 645Z
*lens is of course SDM.
Best regards"

So let the moaning commence! (Kidding!)
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
saxon
Posted 04/02/2015 - 07:58 Link
You won't hear any moaning from me - I'm just very excited to see what it's like. I think they kind of missed a trick not having a website with a countdown timer like they had for the 645Z to build anticipation - that was very cool and effective in my view and I did keep checking back on it before the launch.

I'm really really pleased for Pentax and everyone out there who uses and loves them. The truth is that you cannot argue with their history of innovation and contribution to photography so I truly hope they are able to regain their former glory in the eyes of today's public:

1952 Asahiflex 1 First Japanese SLR camera and first to use 35mm film

1954 Asahiflex 2 World's first instant return mirror system eliminates mirror blackout when taking pictures this is probably the main innovation that led to the SLR becoming the dominant professional and serious enthusiast camera type.

1957 Asahi Pentax introduces the fixed Pentaprism to enable eye level shooting through the lens

1957 Pentax Auto-Takumar lenses are the first lenses in the world with automatic lens diaphragms controlled by internal signalling between body and lens to permit instantaneous stopdown and re-opening after shutter release

1960 Pentax Spotmatic Pentax pioneers world's first in pentaprism TTL metering system

1966 Pentax Nocta World's first infra-red focussing system enables focus confirmation in total darkness

1969 Pentax 6x7 world's first medium format camera with 35mm style handling and features

1971 Pentax ES World's first aperture priority mode camera with TTL metering

1971 Pentax invent multi-coating lens process for up to 9 layers of lens coating later licenced by Zeiss and everyone else. Even today Zeiss lenses use Pentax SMC coatings. Up to that point nobody had managed to put more than 4 layers of coating on a lens and many lenses still had no coatings or single layers.

1975 Pentax K mount launched and becomes the most famous and longest running lens mount in the world

1976 Pentax MX World's smallest and lightest SLR camera

1979 Pentax ME Super World's first SLR with push-button electronic control

1980 Pentax ME-F World's first autofocus SLR - a full 10 years before this became commonplace

1981 Pentax is the first manufacturer to produce 10 million SLR's

1985 Pentax D3000 First 35mm SLR camera with DX film sensing

1987 Pentax SF-7 World's first SLR with automatic pop up flash

1997 Pentax 645N World's first autofocus medium format camera

2003 Pentax Ist d, first digital Pentax SLR and smallest and lightest DSLR in the world

2006 Pentax Ist DL - First DSLR for less than £500

2006 K100D Pentax first body with in body stabilisation (no Nikon or Canon camera to date has ever had this feature because they build it into their lenses, but you pay extra for it everytime you buy a lens...)

2008 Pentax K20D First budget/prosumer DSLR with weather sealing

2010 Pentax 645 D first digital medium format camera with SLR like handling qualities

2011 Pentax Q Worlds smallest and lightest interchangeable lens camera system launched

2011 Pentax 645D wins 'camera of the year' and voted best professional DSLR by TIPA

2013 Pentax K3 pioneer's world's first selectable anti-aliasing system, wins best DSLR of the year (TIPA)

2014 Pentax 645Z 51 megapixel medium format DSLR launched at a price point £7000 one third of its Hasselblad competitors. First medium format digital camera with on board video recording.
johnriley
Posted 04/02/2015 - 08:56 Link
Yes, Pentax have a good track record, all they needed was investment and they seem to have that now. Not perhaps unlimited funds, but more and enough provided to move forwards in a sustainable manner.
Best regards, John
Mike-P
Posted 04/02/2015 - 09:50 Link
I'm really impressed tbh, if the FF has a decent sized sensor, has a cropping mode and decent AF tracking I can honestly see me selling all my Canon gear (apart from the MP-E65mm and EOS-M).
stub
Posted 04/02/2015 - 09:58 Link
Great news. I for one will be watching this very closely...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Algernon
Posted 04/02/2015 - 11:07 Link
I still can't see the point in bringing out a FF.... this year at least. The K-5ii's are being sold off cheap along with the K-50. The K-3 has dropped in price. Surely the next release has to be at least two APS-C cameras.

The FF won't sell in big numbers, but it could attract buyers to APS-C if they have any to sell.

Big mistake already with the FF bringing out a 'Me Too' 70-200mm f/2.8 the same as everyone else and also covered by old lenses and 3rd party.

A FF + say 55-210mm f/2.8 might have just have swayed it with buyers comparing Pentax to Canikon + 70-210mm.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 04/02/2015 - 11:09
johnriley
Posted 04/02/2015 - 11:09 Link
That must be something of a record Algi - Pentax have it all wrong before they've even announced it, whatever it may turn out to be.
Best regards, John
Edited by johnriley: 04/02/2015 - 11:09
BruceStrachan
Posted 04/02/2015 - 11:17 Link
Think from a marketing point of view if you were constantly releasing upgrades to K3 etc it would detract from the product.
People would be more likely to wait until next year when the new K3iis is replaced so prices fall.
Personally Pentax having a FF offering shows me taht I ahve chosen a manufacturer that is commited to supplying a full range of kit for all photographers, so I feel it will be of greta benefit to them overall.
Cheers,

Bruce
Algernon
Posted 04/02/2015 - 11:20 Link
Also bear in mind that they have to have Kit Lenses available for a FF launch and I don't think they have any apart from the FA 50mm f/1.4.

If someone goes into a shop looking for a FF + std zoom they aren't going to be interested in Body Only.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
K10D
Posted 04/02/2015 - 11:27 Link
A 70-200mm f/2.8 is a standard weapon of choice for thousands out there. It actually works very well on APS-C and even better on FF. I smiled at the "me too" comment.

This is really simple, for those that don't want a Pentax FF DSLR or a Pentax 70-200mm f/2.8, don't buy them.

Time will tell and if a FF is announced at CP+ then it is no bad thing. Even better if a new "kit" lens is also announced with it (just to keep Algi happy).

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
johnriley
Posted 04/02/2015 - 11:29 Link
The term "kit lens" has become almost synonymous with the expectation of a low priced, moderate quality introduction to a range. I think that's a pity, because Pentax have some very good "kit lenses" - that is, lenses that are often supplied coupled with a camera body.

When the 645D finally came along, after years of lots of people insisting it never would, it of course arrived with a new standard lens. I'm sure if and when the Pentax Phoenix FF body arrives it will have a lens attached to it.
Best regards, John
1stEverPentax
Posted 04/02/2015 - 11:45 Link
I see on photorumors that the new zoom is a 150-450 FF compatible and will be announced apparently tomorow with the 70-200. I'm guessing also that the K60 or K70 will be shown next week in Japan and will probably be in the shops in time for Easter.
Posted 04/02/2015 - 12:26 Link
It's looking good for Pentax existing owners, the new high spec lenses is a real step forward to showing a commitment to the brand.

Even with a FF body thouogh they really need to address the AF speed, to attract traditional pro's. But they seem to be trying to promote the brand to a slightly different base.

I think the new mid range camera is potentially a strong step forward to address some its critics and the announcement of the high end lenses, kind of sticks two fingers up at some of the photo press who slag them off.

Looking forward to see if there is any news on a FF body.
jules
Posted 04/02/2015 - 12:43 Link
K10D wrote:
A 70-200mm f/2.8 is a standard weapon of choice for thousands out there. It actually works very well on APS-C and even better on FF. I smiled at the "me too" comment.

This is really simple, for those that don't want a Pentax FF DSLR or a Pentax 70-200mm f/2.8, don't buy them.

Time will tell and if a FF is announced at CP+ then it is no bad thing. Even better if a new "kit" lens is also announced with it (just to keep Algi happy).

Best regards

Prefer the 70-200's on an APSC personally, makes a great 100-300, the newcomer camera is welcome as long as it does not end up diluting the K line, like Nikon seems to have done and indeed Canon let that ball slip for 4 years. If they do then it's about as welcome as a fart in a space suit, as far as I'm concerned.
The american forum should soon be flooded with el cheapo APSC Pentax and "FF" CaNikSon, win win...
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Edited by jules: 04/02/2015 - 12:44
wvbarnes
Posted 04/02/2015 - 18:38 Link
I'm delighted with my new bargain priced K3 this week now I've figured out the settings. I'm looking forward to bargain used APS C lenses.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.