The Shadow of Big Ben

RayB

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 11:16
Taken on a recent meander through town. I don't know why, but I never seem to get any comments when I post here, my last had over 120 views but no responses. Am I "that" bad?

K5, f/16, ISO 800, 1"

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 11:41
I wouldn't take it personally Mate, it can be like that sometimes here. As for the shadow, I like it, reminds me of one of the thunderbirds!
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group

MrB

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 12:12
That is an interesting shot, Ray, I haven't seen that shadow before. I think the image might need a slight rotation - the towers don't look quite vertical to me (if I'm wrong I'll blame Specsavers). Also, is it possible to shoot it from a spot slightly left, so that the blue lights are not in front of the clock tower?

Philip

screwdriver222

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 12:31
Thunderbird 3 I reckon
Flickr link

AlJones2402

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 12:44
As for the shadow, I like it, reminds me of one of the thunderbirds![/quote]

I was just thinking the same thing
love the colours and light.

fritzthedog

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 12:48
Never easy to find anything new to do with such an iconic landmark- so well done on that front.

For me Ray it is one of those shots that could be really good but doesn't quite make it.

As already mentioned - it does need a bit of straightening and the blue is too 'in your face' and the clock face could be sharper and the exposure needs work etc.

All of that said - I think you are on to something and there is a really nice shot to be had there if you can revisit and give it another go and take a tripod with you if possible. I also think it would work in mono

I hope you don't mind - I have had a little play with it to see what it could look like - colour and mono. There isn't enough detail to do a good job but hopefully it will give you an idea of what you could get with
another bash at it

Carl

No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

matwhittington

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 13:56
Certainly not bad. I like it. I have often thought that looked a bit like a Thunderbird too! cool
Mat W

My Flickr: link

AndrewA

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 14:27
I like this, well spotted!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

RayB

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 15:17
Well, I suppose a petulant gripe is one way to get feedback

A tripod was used to get this shot, hence the 1.5" exposure. If there is movement it will be due to wind as it was blowing a gale at the time and to be honest, this was not a "planned" shot, just a happy accident.

I agree with the straightening, but sadly it was not possible to be square on (this was taken from the East side of the bridge) but I'll bear it in mind if I happen past again and the lights on the tower allow for the shadow to form.

Thanks for all the comments - I'm also in the "Thunderbird 3" camp...

PS - if anyone would like to take a look at some more - http://raybphotography.smugmug.com/ is where to look

MrB

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 15:21
Looking at this again, the shadow isn't looking the right shape for the Clock Tower, but more like the Central Tower. That doesn't alter the fact that I think it is a nice shot with some great possibilities.

Philip

RayB

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 15:34
A slightly straightened (as much as I can get away with) B&W version. I prefer this to the colour...

Gamka

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 15:55
Where is the bell? I can see the Elizabeth Tower but not Big Ben.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.