Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

The Peak District in the mist

davidstorm
Posted 19/12/2021 - 21:47 Link
Today was the mistiest day so far in December, so I popped out to Padley Gorge, my favourite place in the Peak District for photography. I'm a little disappointed with my images on the whole, but here are a few that turned out OK. They are a mixture of the K-1 with either a 28-105 WR or a Pentax-M 28mm f/3.5 lens, plus the K-3ii with a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. Comments and CC are welcomed.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Thanks for looking.

Kind Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
davidwozhere
Posted 19/12/2021 - 23:42 Link
That flat light doesn't help does it? On the other hand, these show what can be done with it even so. I will favourite the 2nd and last of them with the remainder hard behind.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
08tiger
Posted 20/12/2021 - 06:05 Link
What are the round flat stones? They look like grinding stones.and why are there so many just lying around?
C&C welcome.
Don.
Lubbyman
Posted 20/12/2021 - 07:53 Link
Understated loveliness . I rather like flat light for these sort of pictures - it helps to evoke a mood that is quite different to what a sunny day would produce.

Steve
ajax
Posted 20/12/2021 - 16:23 Link
Walked up Padley Gorge many times, still looks great
davidstorm
Posted 20/12/2021 - 16:46 Link
08tiger wrote:
What are the round flat stones? They look like grinding stones.and why are there so many just lying around?

Hi Don, this area of the Derbyshire Peak District is famous for the Millstone Grit rocks. In days gone by there was a huge industry here making millstones, the rock was literally split apart and fashioned into the round stones on site. What you see lying around are unfinished or unwanted stones that were just left where they lay and have been there ever since, some for hundreds of years. The two images that show these stones are in a part of Padley Gorge that was clearly a small quarry.

Kind Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Posted 20/12/2021 - 18:16 Link
First four for me, David. I kept on thinking to myself, 'Where are the Hobbits?' Plus, I'm sure there's an Ent in there somewhere. Very atmospheric. Great images.
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
RichardC
Posted 21/12/2021 - 08:08 Link
Excellent and fully representative of how I remember the Peak District at this time of year. I really like Nr3, despite the flat light you've managed to get the green moss on the stones to really pop against the red-brown leaves, but not so much that it looks synthetic. Can something look natural and otherworldy at the same time?
jvs
Posted 21/12/2021 - 13:57 Link
A lovely set, David. Lots of colour and detail despite the light and as for the mist - for me it adds depth to the views and is a feature well worth capturing.
John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.