Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

The new standard of performance - K3 shoot.

DrOrloff
Posted 26/10/2013 - 21:29 Link
I hope that is indeed the case and if it is then wow, how did they do that. I trust nothing but a comparison of the RAW files. If it is as good as this evidence suggests and indeed completely contradicts the performance suggested by the initial JPEG samples then I will be ordering a K3 in a heartbeat.
Edited by DrOrloff: 26/10/2013 - 21:32
Dodge69
Posted 26/10/2013 - 21:56 Link
Very interesting. Particularly as D600 price is down to the same level I noticed today. The K5iis already runs most cameras down. I picked up one second hand last month after being convinced by DXo labs and particularly the dp studio comparison tool and have found the accurate with my own experience. These examples look even stronger. The IsO performance particularly. Detail comes from the lens first and foremost IMO, but that Nikkor is supposed to be pretty damn good? Smells like an good ol' fashion Canikon ass whomping may be around the corner... yet again
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
andrewk
Posted 27/10/2013 - 00:36 Link
jules wrote:
K3 vs D600

Can anyone explain to me how a photographer can take a shot of a living, breathing dog, swap cameras and then take another from exactly the same location, without the dog having moved a hair?

Thoughts? Is this a spoof?

Andrew
Edited by andrewk: 27/10/2013 - 00:44
JAK
Posted 27/10/2013 - 00:48 Link
andrewk wrote:
Can anyone explain to me how a photographer can take a shot of a living, breathing dog, swap cameras and then take another from exactly the same location, without the dog having moved a hair?

Andrew

The viewpoints are very slightly different - guess both shots were taken side by side simultaneously.

John K
John K
cabstar
Posted 27/10/2013 - 00:53 Link
andrewk wrote:
jules wrote:
K3 vs D600

Andrew

Usually these kind of shots are done side by side with a wireless remote which will trigger both cameras at the same time
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Smeggypants
Posted 27/10/2013 - 00:54 Link
JAK wrote:
andrewk wrote:

Andrew

The viewpoints are very slightly different - guess both shots were taken side by side simultaneously.

John K

The viewpoints are pretty much exactly the same and I agree with Andrew, there's something odd about this comparison.

I have two dogs and it is of course possible to get them to "lock on target" by holding a treat up, but I know from experience trying to photograph them like that they will move if you do something in their peripheral vision like moving or swapping a camera.

EXIF has been stripped from these pics. I do not trust them
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Pentaxophile
Posted 27/10/2013 - 07:30 Link
Why on earth would you doubt the validity of the test shots? lol

The k3 is looking great in comparison to the d600. They should have opened the lens up a stop or two to make the dof more equal ;P
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
jules
Posted 27/10/2013 - 07:31 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
JAK wrote:
Quote:

Andrew

John K

The viewpoints are pretty much exactly the same and I agree with Andrew, there's something odd about this comparison.

I have two dogs and it is of course possible to get them to "lock on target" by holding a treat up, but I know from experience trying to photograph them like that they will move if you do something in their peripheral vision like moving or swapping a camera.

Page updated Smeggy, seems genuine enough to me...

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=5438&news=pentax+K-3+Nikon...
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
andrewk
Posted 27/10/2013 - 08:08 Link
Smeggypants wrote:

If you click on each photo, you get a 100% view. Have a close look at the area around the dog's eye. They look identical to me - so must have been taken at the same instant. Whether there is enough difference in viewpoint for them to have been taken by cameras side by side is moot - possibly.

The EXIF is intact on the full size versions.

-------- STOP PRESS ----------

There is an update to the article this morning. It says that the dogs (both) just stayed very still - and that was a fluke. If I interpret it correctly, it also says that the shutters of the two cameras were fired separately, not simultaneously.

Curiouser and curiouser .........

Andrew

Andrew
Edited by andrewk: 27/10/2013 - 08:40
Pentaxophile
Posted 27/10/2013 - 10:19 Link
Why is it easier to believe that there's some sort of hoax (to what end I wonder?) rather than that the dogs just happened to stay very still, according to the author, because they were watching a horse?

If you open both images side by side you can see slight differences in the position of the boxer's ears snout etc, as well as, obviously, the different depth of field on the 85mm lens vs the 55mm.
Edited by Pentaxophile: 27/10/2013 - 10:20
cabstar
Posted 27/10/2013 - 10:21 Link
Because we're not used to camera review sites fawning so positively over pentax equipment before
Concert photography

Algernon
Posted 27/10/2013 - 10:25 Link
There's 15 secs. between the two dog shots and they are both
taken from the same spot. So a very rigid tripod with a fast
QR must have been used.

They are both 24MB cameras so I wouldn't expect much difference
in sharpness. You can't really compare 3D images from 2 cameras
they will never be focussed on the same point and +/- 7mm can
make a big difference.

The bokeh which really depends on the lens used even though
the D600 will have more OOF pixels looks better to me with
the Pentax 55mm which is a surprise considering the other lens
is an 85mm which usually has nice bokeh.

If you were to make screen sized files I wouldn't think there
would be much difference between K-5.... K-3 and D600

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 27/10/2013 - 10:26
K10D
Posted 27/10/2013 - 10:42 Link
Dodge69 wrote:
Very interesting. Particularly as D600 price is down to the same level I noticed today.

It should drop more as its officially discontinued.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
cabstar
Posted 27/10/2013 - 10:56 Link
Most stockists are out of stock....
Concert photography

Pentaxophile
Posted 27/10/2013 - 14:07 Link
Algernon wrote:
There's 15 secs. between the two dog shots and they are both
taken from the same spot. So a very rigid tripod with a fast
QR must have been used.

Alternatively, the photographer might have had both bodies hanging around his neck, and just took a shot with one after another without taking a step.

Algernon wrote:
If you were to make screen sized files I wouldn't think there would be much difference between K-5.... K-3 and D600

Agreed.

The overall images from the K3 are nicer in terms of exposure and colour. The D600 is a hair better in terms of sharpness and noise at 100%, but nothing you'd spot in a screen sized image or even a large print I'm sure.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.