The new DA* 16-50mm f2.8

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 22:21
Mike-P wrote:
1stEverPentax wrote:

I suspect it will drop in price very quickly to match the EU price otherwise why wouldn't you just import one from EU?

Because we have to pay 20% VAT plus other costs as we are no longer part of the EU?

My understanding was that EU suppliers selling to UK sell tax free, UK consumers then pay 20% VAT on import which will end up being approximately the same as the EU tax-paid price?

If i'm mistaken in my assumption here then I would expect market forces to quickly remedy that anomaly.

Flan

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 22:33
It will be interesting to see, how it compares optically with the out going 16-50 SDM.
We know it will have better autofocus and so on, but how will it render compared to the original.
Having bought the 16-50 SDM new in early 2019 for 499 sterling (fromSRS) I think I'll put up with itís faults.😀😀😀
I do wish it the best though and hope it lives up to expectations
Last Edited by Flan on 15/07/2021 - 22:34

Lubbyman

Link Posted 15/07/2021 - 22:35
MrB wrote:
Apologies, Steve - the response giving an explanation to my query was yours, thank you.

No problem. In my world, explanations stand (or fall) on their own merits and don't depend on who said them.

A possibly relevant observation: Back when the K3III hit the (metaphorical) shelves and UK/Euro prices were being questioned, I looked up the £/Yen and Euro/Yen exchange rates at the time when the K3III was initially announced. If importers had made forward contracts for currency purchase around that time (as would have been reasonable), the UK release price made perfect sense. All due to changes in the relative value of sterling against the other currencies. If that really was what happened, nobody in the photographic supply chain would have been profiteering at UK Pentaxians' expense, all the profits from currency fluctiations would have gone to the financial institutions.

But it can work the other way, too. I once made a healthy profit for my employer by entering a contract to buy foreign currency 6-months ahead (as required company rules), then when the time came to buy, the need had gone. The contract was binding, so the currency was bought at the previously agreed exchange rate then immediately sold back for sterling at the then current exchange rate. Sterling had fallen so we got more £s than we started with. My employer took the profit, the financial institution took the hit. And I just thought myself lucky that I hadn't lost money for my employer!

Steve

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/07/2021 - 05:08
1stEverPentax wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
Quote:

I suspect it will drop in price very quickly to match the EU price otherwise why wouldn't you just import one from EU?

Because we have to pay 20% VAT plus other costs as we are no longer part of the EU?

My understanding was that EU suppliers selling to UK sell tax free, UK consumers then pay 20% VAT on import which will end up being approximately the same as the EU tax-paid price?

If i'm mistaken in my assumption here then I would expect market forces to quickly remedy that anomaly.

I think that was how it was "supposed" to happen but most people ( including myself) that have bought things from the EU lately have been hit with a customs bill.
. My Flickr

Nigelk

Link Posted 16/07/2021 - 09:29
Flan wrote:
It will be interesting to see, how it compares optically with the out going 16-50 SDM.
We know it will have better autofocus and so on, but how will it render compared to the original.
Having bought the 16-50 SDM new in early 2019 for 499 sterling (fromSRS) I think I'll put up with itís faults.😀😀😀
I do wish it the best though and hope it lives up to expectations

Flan, if you click on the bottom of the two links in my first post Pentax have provided head to head comparisons between the old lens and the new lens. Based on them the new lens is head and shoulders better, as it needs to be. I also have the old version, what with decentering, crap SDM and poor across the frame rendering I stopped using it when I got the 16-85mm which I find to be the much better lens. This new beast looks to be in a whole new ball park, just as the DA* 11-18mm is a fab lens.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 16/07/2021 - 16:44
MrB wrote:
So the recent trend in Pentax pricing is for APS-C gear to be significantly more expensive than the FF equivalents?

Philip

It's starting to look that way. Fujifilm have lead the way in producing top-notch lenses for APS-C and pricing them as top-notch, regardless of sensor size. Perhaps Pentax have seen that it's a valid option, though I have to say the Fujifilm 16-55mm f/2.8 is significantly cheaper than the new Pentax and by all accounts is optically perfect in pretty much every way.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Flan

Link Posted 16/07/2021 - 20:24
I admit I did not read the link Nigelk.
Itís a significant investment the new 16-50
It feels like an investment for professionals
I suppose we will see eventually itís merits
Iíll pass as Iím maxed out but will continue to try and get the best from my current crop
Best of luck to whomever may make the plunge
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.