The K3 @ Bramham International Horse Trials

Fletcher8

Link Posted 11/06/2014 - 13:16
techno-terminator, under the terms of my accreditation and my commissioned work, I can't sell the images to the riders for three months, but I will no doubt send him some images for Facebook. I know it sounds daft, but if I break any accreditation agreements, I can kiss goodbye to press passes in the future and they are getting harder to obtain. Also the cost I would have to pay for four days entry would take a large chunk out of the money I am paid to photograph such events.

I have only been doing this type of photography for about a year and there is a lot to learn excluding the photography.
Fletcher8.

Stuey

Link Posted 11/06/2014 - 21:15
Cracking set
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Blaze

Link Posted 15/06/2014 - 15:01
Great set of photos, Gareth. It's always nice to see shots of what goes on around the competition. Fortunately for horse and rider, that kind of fall doesn't happen too often. But great when you can get them !
Horses enjoy this sort of thing as much as the riders.

Helpful

Fletcher8

Link Posted 15/06/2014 - 16:56
Thanks Sally!
Fletcher8.

Blaze

Link Posted 15/06/2014 - 17:52
I have a question : I heard that in the UK, you are not allowed to post photos of horse competitions on internet unless you are an accredited photographer. Is this true ?

It seems that the UK is very strict about what photographers can and can't do. Here in France, I managed to get a press pass simply by asking (and knowing people in the organisations) for an international Event and an international carriage driving competition. Just a question of filling in a form. After that, there are no particular rules, just the obvious one of checking with the person in charge of each driving obstacle as they are given large ring fences.

There are, however, laws here about taking photos without the person's permission. However, for a public event, and as long as the photos aren't derogatory, they don't seem to worry.

Fletcher8

Link Posted 15/06/2014 - 18:25
Hi Sally, in answer to your above question it depends. Usually everything in relation to images usage (what you can and can't do with images is stipulated in the press accreditation terms and conditions) Generally the more prestigious the event, the more stipulations there are, I personally think its certainly getting harder to get media accreditation, but often its who you know not what you know.

Sometimes the media accreditation T&C's will stipulate that you can't post them on Facebook or Flicker, the big no, no is selling images to the riders unless you state you are shooting specific riders when you apply for a press pass.

This year I have been fortunate in that the person who has commissioned me, helps with access to venues and who I need to contact, but I am still learning all the time.

I think like everything some venues are OK with you taking images, some are not. From my experience the best thing is to ask prior to attending.
Fletcher8.
Last Edited by Fletcher8 on 15/06/2014 - 18:26

Blaze

Link Posted 17/06/2014 - 11:13
I've been fortunate in knowing people at competitions round here though sometimes you don't need to go outside the public area. I find cross country events can be difficult with the 70-200 as the obstacles are really spread apart and it's not easy to be in range of more than a couple at a time, even being out on the course. The pros with their 400s get more of a selection ..... but having felt the weight of one, it's too darned heavy ! The combination of the K3, 70-200 and monopod are all I can manage (feeble woman )

Fletcher8

Link Posted 17/06/2014 - 11:37
Sally, in relation to XC, I walk the course and look for the most photographic fences, I then decide which rider I am going to photograph at a specific jump and try to ensure I get all the jumps and riders i planned for. However, if three riders are all in succession or the times alter, all my plans get blown out of the water.

I have just been informed today that I am to be granted Media Accreditation for Hickstead, so I am over the moon, probably the most difficult to get a press pass for, but this was all down to the person commissioning me. The not so good bit, is that I can't put any images on Facebook or public sites like Pentax User, so the only people who will see my work online will be the company I will be shooting for, so I am a little disappointed, but like i stated earlier, you have to stick to the terms and conditions of media accreditation.

I look forward to seeing more of your equine images Sally, you certainly have an eye for it.

Regards

Fletcher8 (aka Gareth)
Fletcher8.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.