The K-M: Any sound advice?

Snootchies

Link Posted 24/05/2010 - 12:12
Hi chaps!

I'll be owning a K-m later today (when it arrives!) to accompany my K20D, for situations when a hulking beast of a DSLR with grip can be more cumbersome/akward/dare I say it - innapropriate. Not that I don't love my K20D of course!!!!!

But, I've had my K20D for some time now - well over a year - so I'm used to it's nuiances and what I can get out of it etc etc.

I was hoping to tap into any forum mebers experiences with their K-m. For example, the lack of illuminated focus points - is the 5 point AF system really up to scratch to a level that this is'nt an issue?

Was just interested in a kind of 'best practices' tips really (if there are any). If it helps, I tend to have my K20D on Aperture Priority, and an ISO range of auto between 100 and 800.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

robbie_d

Link Posted 24/05/2010 - 12:41
When I have my K-m I used to keep it on AF-S, centre point only, focus and recompose as necessary. This, for me, bypassed the issue of illuminated focus points.

In terms of ISO, I generally kept it at 100-400, as I find with most cameras in Av mode they will tend to adjust the ISO before the shutter speed. If I needed anything higher I would select it. Although it only has one dial, it does have useful shortcut buttons on the rear panel which take you directly to the menus for Flash, ISO, shutter mode, etc.

In all, it's a very capable little camera.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 24/05/2010 - 15:09
The K-m will work perfectly with the same settings - I tend to let mine roam between 100-800 ISO in Program or Av, or dial it in manually in M mode.

I have never noticed the lack of indicated focus points, mind you I pretty much went straight from a P30T to mine so you never miss what you didn't have!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Snootchies

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 19:51
Well I have had my K-m for a day now, and I absolutely love it!

I can't get over how small and light it is, and yet so easy to handle/grip properly. It's just so much fun to use.

The lack of indicated focus points hasn't been an issue so far either.

Very pleased I have to say!
Bob

Domingoan

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 08:50
Hi Bob

I've just joined the forum and I'm interested in getting the K-m. Where did you purchase your K-m please, I'm in Frodsham!

cheers

Andy

Snootchies

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 09:52
Hi Andy - wow, small world! I actually live a few hundred yards from the 'Welcome to Frodsham' sign.

I was extremely fortunate to get a K-m at a great price from Chris at SRS via this thread.

It may be worth dropping him a message, or keeping up to date with the used DSLR section on his website here
Bob

Snootchies

Link Posted 31/05/2010 - 23:04
Well chaps - I'm in love with my K-m!

I feel like a born-again photographer. It's weight is so liberating by being comfortable aroung the neck for hours and not becoming the inevitable hulking pendulum keeping time with your steps that my K20D is.

Don't get me wrong, there are several features I'm glad to have the luxury of on my K20D which ensures it will be reached for. But to grab a K-m, slap an 18-250 on it and just go out and enjoy the sunny weekend. It was fab - and I recaptured a feeling I'd not had since my first experiences of owning a DSLR, when I did'nt worry as much about the technical side as I tend to now.

So...here are a few pics I've taken over the weekend with my K-m:

Bob

Snootchies

Link Posted 02/06/2010 - 19:08
Any feedback on this bunch chaps?
Bob

Paulcollins

Link Posted 10/10/2010 - 13:47
I like My KM, and I intend to pass it on to my daughter, at some point , she is 11 and so keen on photography.The only thing I don't like is it has no display of the focusing points, which I would have like instead of the gimmick creative filters which I do not use at all, that is my only gripe.
It is my intention to buy a K20d, not into video with a DSLR, so it's the good and old K20d for me, once the price drops a bit more.
Pentax K10d, KM, kit lens 18-55,Sigma 28-80, Sigma 55-200, Sigma70/300 APO , Tamron 400mm Prime, Cosinon 135 prime,Ricoh 55mm.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.