The FA 31 on Film

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 21/04/2015 - 18:40
Can anyone tell me their experiences of using this wonderful lens on pentax film cameras?

I am selling a lot of digital gear at the moment and the temptation to go mostly film is really yearning right now.

I think the ME Super paired with this lens could be amazing.

Thoughts?
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

K10D

Link Posted 21/04/2015 - 23:57
I have used it extensively on an MZ-S, ME Super and an MX. It's superb. Normally have the 43mm on one body with the 31mm on an MX. Although it works very well on APS-C, I can't quite get comfortable with it. My preference is to shoot Velvia and the 31mm is just outstanding with it.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

johnha

Link Posted 22/04/2015 - 00:01
I know how you feel, I've shot much more film (35mm & 120) in the last year than used my K-5 (hardly at all). I now use my MX-1 or GR almost exclusively when I want to shoot digital.

I haven't used the FA31 - I bought the FA43 to use on film (43mm doesn't work for me on APS-C). It depends whether you want the 31mm focal length - right between 28 (possibly slightly too wide) & 35 (possibly not quite wide enough) or the legendary IQ.

I think you'd struggle to get (and scan) print film these days to do the lens justice, even chrome film is likely to struggle. In the old days you could use Ektar 25 or Kodachrome 25 - Velvia 50 might be an option though.

I've settled on these lenses for my usual film setup: FA20-35/4, FA43/1.9 and M135/3.5, but no comment about film should end without suggesting that a larger format might be worth thinking about...

John.
PPG Flickr

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 22/04/2015 - 19:50
Thanks very much guys for the input
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.