The dreaded K30 aperture motor failure strikes again

richandfleur

Link Posted 13/09/2016 - 03:39
I have no idea what percentage are affected. Given only a small percentage of owners would subscribe to forums etc, I have no way of knowing. Only Pentax would know, based on the number of returns they had, but even then some may have just junked their cameras and either purchased another or moved to another brand etc.

Of course you hear from those affected. If you're not affected, you're not going to complain about being affected.

Failing within a warranty period means you've got problems starting from very early on. Some manufacturers might be motivated to do something about that, to look after their customers. Others, not so much.

SteveLedger

Link Posted 13/09/2016 - 03:58
richandfleur wrote:

Failing within a warranty period means you've got problems starting from very early on. .

Not necessarily. It might just mean that the point at which affected units might fail is consistent, but some people reach that point of usage earlier than others.
Last Edited by SteveLedger on 13/09/2016 - 03:58

johnriley

Link Posted 13/09/2016 - 09:09
It's well documented that most electronic failures happen within the first six months. After that, things tend to keep on going.

Think of how lucky we are compared to VCR users, where some makes had a one year failure rate of around 30%.
Best regards, John

reflexe

Link Posted 15/09/2016 - 19:54
After having received the budget to repair my K30 from the Ricoh Pentax...250 Euros, I decided to follow the Russian method.
After around 4 hours of work, I turned on the camera and the first photo was not dark. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to take the first picture again and see if everything is ok.
So far I am satisfied with the results!

P.S: It's my last Pentax Camera for sure, Pentax has poor support and unrealistic prices for repairs!
Last Edited by reflexe on 15/09/2016 - 19:55

SteveLedger

Link Posted 15/09/2016 - 20:52
Who has better support and cheaper repairs?
Four hours labour plus parts, what would you charge?

reflexe

Link Posted 15/09/2016 - 21:12
SteveLedger wrote:
Who has better support and cheaper repairs?
Four hours labour plus parts, what would you charge?

Look Steve...for now I only can say, F*** Pentax. My camera has only 6200 shots!
Im not a Pentax technician....Next time (hope not) I make it in 30 min. What parts?

152 Euros only for ships costs from Portugal to Pentax Barcelona? This is not a car, its a camera!
Last Edited by reflexe on 15/09/2016 - 21:14

unhappysnapper

Link Posted 18/09/2016 - 19:20
William_Herschel wrote:
Just to add to the weight of evidence. I used manual lenses from an old Spotmatic for a couple of years so there was no problem. To get with it I bought a 35mm Pentax lens and was surprised to find the first shot was black. You think itís you to start with, but after looking into it is isnít. Fortunately, only the first shot is black at the moment and all subsequent shots are correctly exposed. Iím reluctant to rely on Ricoh doing the honourable thing that somebody else experienced so at the moment I click once and then again.

Mine started off with just the first shot black. A couple of months later and now its the first four or five shots !
After exchanging a few emails with Johnsons they asked me to send my K30 to them.
They have informed me that they have inspected it and have contacted Pentax. I am waiting to hear the outcome.

William_Herschel

Link Posted 19/09/2016 - 18:40
Yeh mine finally bit the dust and every shot is black. Iím going the Johnsons route too, but Iím not sure I will get it done FOC. Maybe weight of numbers will come into force and we'll all get justice from Pentax. However even their repair quote makes it a better alternative to buying a new camera so I hope the repair lasts longer than the original.

unhappysnapper

Link Posted 04/10/2016 - 21:15
William_Herschel wrote:
Yeh mine finally bit the dust and every shot is black. Iím going the Johnsons route too, but Iím not sure I will get it done FOC. Maybe weight of numbers will come into force and we'll all get justice from Pentax. However even their repair quote makes it a better alternative to buying a new camera so I hope the repair lasts longer than the original.

Update: I received an email from Johnsons, after they had contacted Ricoh, with an estimate for £90 plus VAT to repair. I accepted this as it was a reasonable reduction on their original quote of £170 plus VAT. I have the camera back now and its working fine.

The invoice details the work carried out as follows:
Replaced mechanical assembly.
Repaired shutter and mirror mechanism.
Cleaned viewfinder and CCD.
Check and test.

William_Herschel

Link Posted 06/10/2016 - 17:45
unhappysnapper wrote:
William_Herschel wrote:

Update: I received an email from Johnsons, after they had contacted Ricoh, with an estimate for £90 plus VAT to repair. I accepted this as it was a reasonable reduction on their original quote of £170 plus VAT. I have the camera back now and its working fine.

The invoice details the work carried out as follows:
Replaced mechanical assembly.
Repaired shutter and mirror mechanism.
Cleaned viewfinder and CCD.
Check and test.

William_Herschel

Link Posted 06/10/2016 - 17:46
Thatís interesting. I had a slightly different experience. The original quote was £90 + VAT which was reduced to £75 + VAT on appeal to Ricoh. The repair details are identical. The camera is over two and a half years old so I think itís a reasonable outcome.

William_Herschel

Link Posted 10/10/2016 - 11:14
I saw this survey on another forum. About 30% of K30 owners have had this problem based on quite a meaningful sample. http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/pentax-aperture-block-failur...

SteveLedger

Link Posted 10/10/2016 - 12:14
I seriously doubt that 448 responses is in any way a meaningful representation of worldwide K-30 owners, but more than that the survey encompassed Pentax K-30, K-50, K-500, K-S1, K-S2, or K-70 cameras, so that 30% is extremely small percentage indeed.
If it were anywhere near accurate, there would have been a worldwide recall.

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/10/2016 - 13:09
Also, how many of those people only joined the forum BECAUSE they experienced the problem with their camera ....? There are many many people, who unless their camera has a problem, have nothing to say.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 10/10/2016 - 13:09

jemx99

Link Posted 10/10/2016 - 13:37
It's always going to be difficult to get true figures however the amount of people reporting they have this same problem seems to point towards a probable manufacturing fault - you don't hear K5, K3 etc owners with this same issue.
Last Edited by jemx99 on 10/10/2016 - 13:37
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.