The dreaded K30 aperture motor failure strikes again

McGregNi

Link Posted 17/08/2016 - 14:40
Algernon wrote:
Nothing wrong with the penta-club.ru forum One of the TOP Pentax sites.
--

Ok, good to know. But for those who didn't know it, it's clearly suspicious looking for a persons first post!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

richandfleur

Link Posted 17/08/2016 - 20:47
The official repair is to replace the faulty mechanism. It costs what it costs because you are getting new replacement parts.

If you are going to attempt taking your camera apart, I highly recommend purchasing the online manual which details the disassembly steps. Specifically watch out for the top ribbon cable connector as this is extremely fragile
Last Edited by richandfleur on 17/08/2016 - 20:48

duves

Link Posted 21/08/2016 - 19:21
Repaired, the problem is not in the magnet.
link

Algernon

Link Posted 21/08/2016 - 20:34
Well done I haven't got a K-30 so I can't relate to the parts.

Which part was the problem?

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

richandfleur

Link Posted 21/08/2016 - 20:58
duves wrote:
link

Nice video. Care to elaborate?

SteveLedger

Link Posted 21/08/2016 - 21:05
There are three videos there, Richard.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYx4icUHXODKadtzkQOpfzg

duves

Link Posted 22/08/2016 - 05:23
Algernon wrote:
Well done I haven't got a K-30 so I can't relate to the parts.

Which part was the problem?

--

jumped out spring

the spring is in the assembly

Algernon

Link Posted 22/08/2016 - 08:40
Thanks, I'm glad it's not a serious design fault, although it's possible that other K-30's suffer from a different fault.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

unhappysnapper

Link Posted 22/08/2016 - 20:55
My K30 was purchased in January 2014 and the warranty expired in January 2016.
The first failure occurred on holiday in June 2016. With the camera set to manual, I exposed a scene and took the shot only to find that the photo was black. I immediately took a second photo of the same scene using the same settings and the photo was correctly exposed. It happened numerous times on the holiday and since. The shutter count is 6000 plus.
I see from this forum that it is a common problem that was known about at the time of my purchase.
Johnson's (UK repair centre for Pentax/Ricoh) told me that they are not aware of a problem with this model, but this forum would suggest that they are.
I am contemplating sending it to them for an estimate and taking it from there.

Blincodave

Link Posted 23/08/2016 - 17:41
unhappysnapper wrote:

I am contemplating sending it to them for an estimate and taking it from there.

The quote will be well over 200 ie more than the camera is worth. They repaired mine free of charge 6 weeks or so outside my two year warranty but I doubt they would be so generous 8 months outside the expiry date.
However, this link may offer you some encouragement:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8253915.stm
Last Edited by Blincodave on 23/08/2016 - 17:49

richandfleur

Link Posted 23/08/2016 - 20:32
unhappysnapper wrote:

Johnson's (UK repair centre for Pentax/Ricoh) told me that they are not aware of a problem with this model

That's been Pentax's head in the sand stance all the way through. Johnsons repaired mine under warranty and it's worked well ever since. That was years ago now. They know.

Agree with the comments about still selling this. I would never buy a k30/50 model, knowing what we know now, and I came to this conclusion long ago.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 23/08/2016 - 20:34

unhappysnapper

Link Posted 02/09/2016 - 21:45
duves wrote:
link

Interesting video.
How easy/difficult was it to remove the camera case and access the part ?
Is removal and replacement of the part tricky/delicate?
I ask as someone who has past experience of repairs to electrical equipment, as I won't rule out attempting this myself if need be.
I certainly have no intention of spending over two hundred pounds for the repair.
What I can't understand is why Johnson's have to charge a service price to carry out a repair.
(If I needed a new headlight in my car I wouldn't expect to pay the cost of a full service)

unhappysnapper

Link Posted 02/09/2016 - 22:01
Blincodave wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="unhappysnapper"]

However, this link may offer you some encouragement:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8253915.stm

Thanks for the link....very interesting and useful to know

unhappysnapper

Link Posted 02/09/2016 - 22:05
richandfleur wrote:
The official repair is to replace the faulty mechanism. It costs what it costs because you are getting new replacement parts.

If you are going to attempt taking your camera apart, I highly recommend purchasing the online manual which details the disassembly steps. Specifically watch out for the top ribbon cable connector as this is extremely fragile

Do you have a link to the online manual, please?

richandfleur

Link Posted 03/09/2016 - 01:45
unhappysnapper wrote:

Do you have a link to the online manual, please?

All buried in this package.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.