The Death of the Camera Shop

Gwyn

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 14:18
paulgee20 wrote:
In East Yorkshire, (Hull), there is also Hilton Photographic. A superb shop for customer service. The guys are extremely helpful, if they dont have exactly what you are looking for then they will research/find/price for you and will endeavour to be competitive if at all possible.

http://www.hiltonphoto.co.uk/

Paul

Thanks for that Paul. I've made a note for when I come to Hull on the ferry.

I would support our local shops, but as I said one laughed at me for having Pentax, literally laughed at me and advised me to but Canon or Nikon - and that an official Pentax dealer , and the other Pentax dealer is just so expensive I'd be a fool to buy from him.

I go to a couple of stores which like SRS sell online but also have a shop. Luckily most are within about an hour's drive from me.

TOZZA27

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 14:22
Oh sorry............what gave you that idea ??

Maybe a little bookshop tucked away in a Shropshire village or a delicatessen/fromagerie in Boulogne,or a real kitchen store with copper pans and mandolins and Wurtzhof or Gustav Emil Ern knives - yeah - that`s shopping - not the humdrum day to day following Jo around Chester or Village Outlet looking for the Holy Grail of shoes etc !

T
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

johnriley

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 14:41
Now, the ideal camera shop would be small at the front, leading into dark and myserious inner rooms full of new and second hand gear. There would be a book section for browsing and a small coffee shop....and the owner would be friendly and knowledgable....and we could all spend hours there.

A bit like Pentax User, but in the flesh...
Best regards, John

TOZZA27

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 14:47
OOOOOOOOOOH John - you know how to excite a person !!

Nail - hammer - head !!

Find the backer - I`ll come out of retirement for the coffee and cakes and maybe some home-made soups and breads and you can do the front of house chat and security !

Trouble is - where to pitch camp ?

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 14:57
Sounds like Scarthins book shop but with cameras. Heaven.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

paulgee20

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 15:16
The only thing John missed was possibly a 'small beer'if it was rather later on in the day.........

Paul
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......

Paul

:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index http://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20

paulgee20

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 15:18
Gwyn

Graham is the guy to deal with if you can, very knowledgable.

Paul
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......

Paul

:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index http://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20

Ananta_Androscoggin

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 15:51
Same problem over here. As far as I've been able to find out, the only real camera store still open in Maine is a branch of Hunt's Camera down in South Portland.

Unless I want to buy something via mail-order from one of the office-supply chain stores. At list prices only. 'Cause they don't stock any of the stuff I might want in the stores at all.

If the only local option is that, with no possibility of finding any of the other thousands of things that one might need on occasion to go with their photography, then I might as well buy by mail order straight from the manufacturer (Pentax USA for me). That leaves eBay and Amazon and perhaps some of the bigger, more trustworthy online camera businesses, for obtaining all the rest of the goodies.

(Edit to add I did get my 2-weeks-in-hand K-x through the J&R Music World with kit 18-55 for $499 USD & free shipping.
Ananta Androscoggin

K-x (red!)
P30t
Optio E40
Yashica A and Vöightlander Vitomatic II
Last Edited by Ananta_Androscoggin on 06/11/2010 - 15:54

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 16:05
The only places in Manchester are as follows

Jessops - No Pentax gear.
Jacobs - not much Pentax gear, but getting better (have the K-r in 3 colours, the K-7 and K-x in two colours at the moment) They are to get a LOT more Pentax gear in, and have a Pentax Day too.
LCE - sometimes have Pentax gear in, sometimes not. Occasionally have second hand gear too.
Real Camera Company - Only true second hand gear in Manchester, and have lots of Pentax film bodies and lenses too. Bit of a sweet shop for photographers
Calumet - Pro place and excellent for studio stuff. Not had Pentax gear in for a while though
Some Cameras

MrCynical

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 16:08
Ananta_Androscoggin wrote:
Unless I want to buy something via mail-order from one of the office-supply chain stores. At list prices only. 'Cause they don't stock any of the stuff I might want in the stores at all.

Out of interest, if you live in the US why don't you use Adorama/B&H online? They've always struck me as the "holy grail" of photography stores (in both price and service), even for Pentaxians.

Ananta_Androscoggin

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 16:47
I did buy the AC adapter for the camera from B+H, as it is not listed on the Pentax USA webstore at all. Got me worried that if I waited much longer, they'd become harder (and more expensive) to find.

Edit to add -- the only place I still find used gear locally is in the local pawn shops.
Ananta Androscoggin

K-x (red!)
P30t
Optio E40
Yashica A and Vöightlander Vitomatic II
Last Edited by Ananta_Androscoggin on 06/11/2010 - 16:48

jeffb

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 22:15
greynolds999 wrote:
We have three in Edinburgh: Jessops, Jacobs and Calumet. Not a second hand shop within a hundred miles.

We have three photo shops in Halifax PC World,Jessops and Janet Green.PC World has limited stocks. Jessops is a shadow of its former self.Janet Green's the best,it has a good s/h window with a wide choice and it stocks new Pentax gear.
Jeff

I'm not young enough to know it all.

fatspider

Link Posted 07/11/2010 - 00:50
Hmmm! I'd forgotton about Greens, I think its about time the wife had a trip to Piece Hall, is that second hand camera shop still there?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Last Edited by fatspider on 07/11/2010 - 00:51

Dangermouse

Link Posted 07/11/2010 - 00:54
I still struggle with the idea of PC World selling cameras (apart from webcams). In my experience they are to PCs what Jessops now are for cameras, in other words pretty clueless. I've even managed to baffle their supposedly technician staff before now!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Oggy

Link Posted 07/11/2010 - 01:02
It all went horribly wrong when British gas started selling electricity.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.