The Death of the Camera Shop

johnriley

Link Posted 05/11/2010 - 22:18
There used to be quite a few shops in and around Manchester, full of interesting things.

Now as far as my purchases go, we're with SRS, Amazon and eBay. The primary one is the first, and that is indeed a camera shop. Unfortunately it's a bit far away for me to visit, but perhaps that very fact saves me some money!
Best regards, John

edumad

Link Posted 05/11/2010 - 22:48
Technoblurb wrote:

So do Camerabase not exist in Edinburgh, they used to be on Morningside Road ?

AFAIK, they still operate. They have quite a decent stock, which doesn't seem to change much. They are generally pricy, but some things can be found at a reasonable price.

Forum buys basically replace these shops. Its the decent price and the trust you don't have for ebay...
TWAPSI Blog

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 05/11/2010 - 22:56
ISO wrote
Quote:
Fielders. Sevenoaks – Closed down

As I recall, Fielder Brothers went a long long time ago (30+ years?). My memory says that they retired, sold the shop as a going concern, but the new owner was interested in profit, not photography.
I think that the rot started back in the 1950s. A wonderful shop in Week St, Maidstone, was taken over by a firm called Dixons. The used equipment side was cut back to almost nothing, and we know what happened to Dixons more recently.
Shops have to make enough gross profit to pay the overheads, and only then can the owners take something for themselves. A local owner does not need a manager, and the manager is part of the overhead.
Those shops that survive, are thos that provide some service that the local customers value. There are (well, 12 months ago) shops in Bath and Swindon, Witney, Newbury, and Wells, but the ones in Devizes, and Chippenham have gone, and one in Warminster concentrates on wedding photography. There is still a Pentax dealer in Trowbridge, but used equipment is a rarity there. The same thing happened to TV dealers.
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

Oggy

Link Posted 05/11/2010 - 23:34
mowog wrote:
...The only little camera shop still open within a few miles of me now, is County Cameras, of Chingford Mount. - At least it still was, the last time I bought something there, over a year ago... And that's the problem, you see. If we don't buy from these little high street shops... They die!

Nail, head etc.

Pwynnej

Link Posted 05/11/2010 - 23:52
Technoblurb wrote:
greynolds999 wrote:
We have three in Edinburgh: Jessops, Jacobs and Calumet. Not a second hand shop within a hundred miles.

I was thinking just the same thing - I do remember that shop very well plus the two asian restaurants nearby....
K20D, Z-1p, Z-1
F50 1.7,FAs 24,31,35,50 1.4,77,85,135. DA*16-50. DA*60-250. DA*300 D-FA 100
SA 12-24.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

mikeyscope

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 00:34
Quote:

Although it's been some time since I was in there I believe they are still on the go as their site is still active, they had a mint condition second-hand set of Pentax 67 bellows & slide copier last time, this was no use to me as I had just bought a new set some weeks before...ever heard a grown man cry.

http://www.camerabase.co.uk/

Mike
My Flickr Site

mikeyscope

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 00:39
Also worth checking is ffordes of Beauly, Inverness-shire.

https://secure.ffordes.com

Mike
My Flickr Site

Smeggypants

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 05:01
I've bought every piece of my post-Internet snapping kit from Ebay. This purchasing model works. Apart from Food and drink I buy everything online these days.

I'm surprised actual shops are still functioning.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Technoblurb

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 08:18
The only places I have purchased from on the last few years have been internet based as my nearest shops are Jessops & Jaccobs, both no use whatsoever. I did try Charles Eagles and Son in Durham but they had no Pentax stock (Strange for a pro dealer) and wanted to charge me £125 for a £70 camera bag. Another shop that has sadly vanished was Geoff Mash in Darlington, now that was a great little place to visit.

gartmore

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 08:53
Glasgow is down to three: Calumet, Jessops but it has closed its pro department and Merchant City Cameras with good S/H stock but Pentax prices crazily high and wont negotiate.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

greynolds999

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 09:06
I may have missed Camerabase.

When I was working in East Yorkshire I used to go to Beverley Cameras which is one of those tiny shops with much more stock than the avarage Jessops.

I think part of the issue now is the market is so limited. I have bought things from camera shops, used them and sold them on at a profit. If they don't have a good website then it's very hard to sell at the right price.
My Photobucket

paulgee20

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 10:11
In East Yorkshire, (Hull), there is also Hilton Photographic. A superb shop for customer service. The guys are extremely helpful, if they dont have exactly what you are looking for then they will research/find/price for you and will endeavour to be competitive if at all possible.

http://www.hiltonphoto.co.uk/

Paul
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......

Paul

:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index http://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20
Last Edited by paulgee20 on 06/11/2010 - 10:11

fatspider

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 10:15
Quote:
I've bought every piece of my post-Internet snapping kit from Ebay

Thats is guys we can all blame Smeggy

Ebay will have had an enormous impact on smaller shops and not just photo gear, especially those run by the "older" generation who couldn't/wouldn't grasp the concept of the internet.

I can think of a two or three small shops that both have Pentax gear but its usually all K series and not very desireable, I did spot what looked to be a genuine set of Pentax K extension tubes a couple of months back but they were £50

Oddly enough all these shops are in small market towns where you'd think it would be harder to keep going
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

TOZZA27

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 14:11
No you can`t just blame Smeggy..............!!

I too buy everything online these days as well - except food and wine - I don`t like being crushed,trampled,ignored,treated like a moron,having to find a parking space,overcharged,patronised,having to queue,carry bags around a shopping "mall" or out of town outlet and be unable to have a decent cup of tea or coffee whilst having a break.Oh did I mention it`s wet,cold and windy out there a lot too !Oh and did I mention the moronic "music ?" in most of these shops and the kids who can`t even add up two items without an electronic calculator and certainly not with a pencil and paper or in their little heads !

Service ? I should cocoa....................................

harrumph

Angry of Bromborough
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

fatspider

Link Posted 06/11/2010 - 14:13
I take it you dont like shopping then
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.