The Back Streets of Sunderland

davidtrout

Link Posted 18/06/2018 - 10:59
A Friday morning photo shoot in the back streets of Sunderland might not sound like a good idea compared to a Lake District expedition. But its the company you keep that makes the day.
Here's half a dozen shots from a Durham Photographic Society project.
Cameras used:
K3+ DA* 50-135mm lens
K30+Sigma 10-20mm lens

Natalie

Ashlee

Ashlee

Luke

Steve

Natalie

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

stub

Link Posted 18/06/2018 - 11:31
Never been to Sunderland. But do all the folks walk around half dressed or was it just a Friday....?

Lovely work....
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Gwyn

Link Posted 18/06/2018 - 13:21
Impressive set. I particularly like the b/w Ahslees shot.

stub wrote:
Never been to Sunderland. But do all the folks walk around half dressed or was it just a Friday....?

Lovely work....

That's their normal winter wear isn't it? Oh no that is Newcastle. You can spot a Geordie anywhere by their lack of clothing. When we were at Mont Blanc last year, -15C there were a couple of Geordie lasses wandering around in tanktops and hot pants.

davidtrout

Link Posted 18/06/2018 - 14:39
Gwyn wrote:
stub wrote:

That's their normal winter wear isn't it? Oh no that is Newcastle. You can spot a Geordie anywhere by their lack of clothing. When we were at Mont Blanc last year, -15C there were a couple of Geordie lasses wandering around in tanktops and hot pants.

They're not Geordies in Sunderland, they have a peculiar way of talking that's known locally as Mackem. but having said that Natalie is from Newcastle.
Caused quite a stir when we turned up with her outside the Mercedes dealer's workshops, gave the lads quite a turn but everyone joined in the fun.

Gwyn

Link Posted 18/06/2018 - 14:49
I know they aren't Geordies in Sunderland. I would be hung drawn and quartered if I accused a Mackem of being a Geordie or vice versa. I did say it is those from Newcastle (so geordies) who go around in a state of undress most of the time.
Yes it was a joke but it is true about the Geordie girls on Mont Blanc.
Last Edited by Gwyn on 18/06/2018 - 14:50

pschlute

Link Posted 18/06/2018 - 16:16
Super set of images. I am drawn to the first one particularly with the reflection in the glasses adding greatly to the image. If I may be critical, perhaps framing the portrait with less of the brickwork on the left would have worked better or even a tighter crop of this one.
Peter

My Flickr page

davidstorm

Link Posted 18/06/2018 - 21:12
These are great David, all very sharp and well composed. I have to say though I prefer your normal street work where the images are not posed. I think it's very hard with posed shots to make them look natural. I would guess you were working to a tight schedule without the normal freedom you would have if you were just wandering around.

For me the stand-outs are the first shot and 'Luke'.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Sry

Link Posted 18/06/2018 - 22:14
Luke works best for me - model and decor blend well.

alfpics

Link Posted 18/06/2018 - 23:17
I like no 1 and the reflection in her glasses, the colour version of Ashlee and also Luke - both go well with the background IMO. A fun outing!
Andy
Last Edited by alfpics on 18/06/2018 - 23:17

stub

Link Posted 18/06/2018 - 23:22
I like Ashlee against the graffiti wall. Though I have to say I'd like to have been able to read the graffiti....!!
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

davidtrout

Link Posted 19/06/2018 - 10:19
Thanks for all your comments, it was a project with a dozen members of Durham Photographic Society organised with model friends of one of our members. Barrie Forbes was also there.
Not my usual 'street style' because the pictures were 'posed' not 'captured' and I was working with other photographers not as a lone wolf, The models were great and very patient. They sure knew how to pose.
David

DSP121

Link Posted 19/06/2018 - 11:56
I like Ashlee's hairstyle!
It's unique.
Nice pictures!
Date Timestamp Camera with Geotagging

davidwozhere

Link Posted 19/06/2018 - 23:47
The roller shutter door and its reflection in #1 makes for a striking image. As commented earlier, pity about the excess brickwork - but that's nit picking.
Apologies to Natalie for not commenting about her!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

MrB

Link Posted 20/06/2018 - 01:13
Great stuff! I love the reflections in Natalie's shades.

Philip

davidtrout

Link Posted 20/06/2018 - 10:21
I took on board comments about the small area of brickwork in the top left of the frame in the first picture of Natalie and have done a crop to improve it but the difference is only marginal. A larger crop would have unbalanced the whole image. Working with wide angle lenses calls for more care with framing when taking the original picture.
David
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.