Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

That's it. I'm getting rid of my K-m!

Snootchies
Posted 11/06/2010 - 10:08 Link
Yes I love it to bits, it's a fabulous gem of a second body.

BUT....my manager (who I sit next to at work - he's formally my boss, but we are more like work colleagues) used to shoot a lot on 35mm years ago and has been flirting with the idea of a DSLR for a little while now. We've often talked about photography.

He's had a look at my K-m, and has realised that this is the camera to persuade him to a DSLR. But we can't find one at the price I paid a few weeks back (250 from Chris at SRS - thanks Chris!!!). He doesn't want to spend a fortune on one.

I'd really like him to get back into photography with a great camera I know he'd love (and of course it be a Pentax) so...he's having my K-m for the price I paid, and I'll get the K-x, as I noticed the other day how cheap they are getting. I'm more than happy to pay the difference to get the K-x!

So I'll have a K-x as my second body soon. Can't wait!

Has to be the one in Navy too!
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Edited by Snootchies: 11/06/2010 - 10:09
robbie_d
Posted 11/06/2010 - 10:20 Link
Sounds like a case of CBA (Camera buying addiction)!

I seriously considered the K-x when upgrading from my K-m (went for a K20D in the end), and still may get one as a compact, low-light solution one day.

Great price on them at SRS too.

P.S. It's a shame he didn't see your K-m sooner. I sold my K-m with a kit lens for 225 less than a month ago!
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Edited by robbie_d: 11/06/2010 - 10:21
i-Berg
Posted 11/06/2010 - 10:23 Link
Well you won't be sorry Bob - if you can keep the blown highlights at bay with a bit of Ev adjustment, the Kx will be a super piece of kit (ditto Robbie). If you put good glass on it, it will sing!
Edited by i-Berg: 11/06/2010 - 10:24
Snootchies
Posted 11/06/2010 - 10:27 Link
Well - speaking of good glass, I actually have designs on the Sigma 30mm 1.4.

Will quite likely get one of those later in the year, and with the K-x will be my 'shooting a black panther in the dead of night' solution.

I really fancy a fast 1.4 lens, but 50mm is just too far in - better it be closer to the magical 50mm standard on the 35mm format.
Bob

i-Berg
Posted 11/06/2010 - 10:34 Link
Believe what you will of lens tests Bob (although I don't mind the approach taken by these people) - link, but this lens (I don't own it) seems to be great in the centre but not so hot elsewhere?

Pentax's own FA35 f2 seems to be a better all round performer... link
Snootchies
Posted 11/06/2010 - 10:40 Link
I had heard of that - that it's centre sharpness is stunning, but falls off a fair amount at the edges.

Stopping down does correct that, but since it's main purpose will be portraits, and when shooting at 1.4 it's (let's face it) depth of field you are primarily after, I can't see this being a major concern.

I will look into it more thoroughly - I've also often thought about the 35mm macro LTD...
Bob

Edited by Snootchies: 11/06/2010 - 10:59
wadna
Posted 11/06/2010 - 10:44 Link
i-Berg wrote:
Believe what you will of lens tests Bob (although I don't mind the approach taken by these people) - link, but this lens (I don't own it) seems to be great in the centre but not so hot elsewhere?

Pentax's own FA35 f2 seems to be a better all round performer... link

Yes, I considered the Sigma 30mm f1.4 but the test results & comments were a little disappointing so I'm chasing a Pentax 31mm f1.8 Ltd.
thoughton
Posted 11/06/2010 - 10:49 Link
Our very own Lilly uses the Sigma 30/1.4 and gets stunning results. I believe a lot of her India shots were with that lens.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
robbie_d
Posted 11/06/2010 - 10:49 Link
Snootchies wrote:
I had heard of that - that it's centre sharpness is stunning, but falls of a fair amount at the edges.

Stopping down does correct that, but since it's main purpose will be portraits, and when shooting at 1.4 it's (let's face it) depth of field you are primarily after, I can't see this being a major concern.

I will look into it more thoroughly - I've also often thought about the 35mm macro LTD...

If it's portraits you're after then the Pentax FA 50mm 1:1.4 would probably be the better bet.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
flossie
Posted 11/06/2010 - 10:58 Link
I'm not entirely convinced by my Sigma 30/1.4 - but not because of any test results - not found any distortion or sharpness issues but I'm not a pixel-peeper or shoot brick walls regullarly - but I'm not entirely sure if I like the focal length or not. Its also quite noisy at AF, the lack of HSM in Pentax mount was a huge disapointment. And is a lot bigger than the A 50/1.7.

I'm also only occasionally shooting at 1.4 with it - maybe I don't really need that low an f-stop after all... its not a bad lens at all, it just isn't entirely doing it for me at the moment, although I am trying to leave it on the camera by default where possible.
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Snootchies
Posted 11/06/2010 - 11:01 Link
Rob - I do find though that 50mm is too long though.

I'd rather it be the 'magical' 50mm as it were on 35mm, so the nearest we can get to 33.333333333333mm
Bob

wadna
Posted 11/06/2010 - 11:07 Link
thoughton wrote:
Our very own Lilly uses the Sigma 30/1.4 and gets stunning results. I believe a lot of her India shots were with that lens.

Just had a quick glance, she has some lovely shots.
smegg
Posted 11/06/2010 - 12:22 Link
Love my K-m, just so compact and I never really thought about the benefits of using AA's, but not having to worry about charging all the time is great. I hope this never changes for the entry level models.

K-x looks cool, but not enough for me to upgrade. I would love to see a weatherproof & af illuminated of the K-x. That would get me thinking
Snootchies
Posted 11/06/2010 - 13:20 Link
Weatherproofing would be great on the K-x, but you need to consider the impact that might have on it's small form factor and it's price - not to mention disgruntling perhaps even more K-7 users.

I personally think weather sealing should be the mainstay of the higher end market and not entry level.

The K200D was a great compromise between entry level and semi-pro; I thought the K-m, K200D and K20D was a really good line up.

I'm not sure I agree with the current 2 camera line up that Pentax offers. A new camera offering similar spec to the K-x but with more body control and less menu driven (and visible AF points!) and being slightly larger to accommodate weather sealing and an optional grip I think would be a welcome addition, leaving the small form factor/light weight, simpler interface and choice of different colours to the entry level.
Bob

Edited by Snootchies: 11/06/2010 - 13:30
i-Berg
Posted 11/06/2010 - 13:23 Link
Snootchies wrote:
...not to mention disgruntling perhaps even more K-7 users.

Indeed - it is much better when the existing ones are just gruntled.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.