Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Thanks all ........... but time to move on

jon.dc
Posted 23/08/2010 - 14:22 Link
I have had a Pentax since starting out with Digital photography. The main reason was because Amazon did a great deal on a K110D. Since then I have had a K10, K20 and then dropped to a K200. I really like the construction of the camera bodies, they always felt well built against other makes so always stuck with them.

I then started to second shoot for a wedding photographer who used Canon. He would not let me use my Pentax so I had to always use the second body he had. I never got on with it, I found it to awkward to get used to, it never felt right, so again I felt no need to move away from Pentax.

However the other weekend I ended up using a Nikon and everything fell to hand for me. OK it seem a bit plastic in comparison to the Pentax body but the functionality seems to suit me better and I enjoyed the end results more. So it is on that note I have changed my system.

I would like to end by saying thanks to all the forum users that make this community what it is, "a great community".

Kind regards
Snootchies
Posted 23/08/2010 - 14:35 Link
Best of luck with the new system Jon - which Nikon body did you go for in the end?
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
StephenLewis
Posted 23/08/2010 - 14:39 Link
Sorry to see you switch Jon, but you have to do what you have to do. Best of luck and may the light be with you. Do keep in touch.

Cheers,

Stephen
I gladly welcome C & C's. Being foggy minded they really help me learn.
jon.dc
Posted 23/08/2010 - 15:08 Link
Snootchies wrote:
Best of luck with the new system Jon - which Nikon body did you go for in the end?

I used the money from the sale of my K200 with the bits and did not want to put much more to it, we have our fist child on the way. For that reason I plumped for a used D80 in the end. I could not justify a D700 with the requirements I have.

Some nice images on your flickr !
johnriley
Posted 23/08/2010 - 15:37 Link
Have fun and sorry to see you go. Of course you might yet be back!
Best regards, John
TOZZA27
Posted 23/08/2010 - 16:16 Link
Good luck buddy - I see in the Telegraph that even vixens use N*kon D700s

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !
Pawel_Pikor
Posted 23/08/2010 - 17:13 Link
I wish you luck! Shame that you switched into Nikon's camera but this is your own choice. I hope you'll enjoy with this make.
By the way
Quote:
I then started to second shoot for a wedding photographer who used Canon. He would not let me use my Pentax so I had to always use the second body he had

This is just wrong... I can't understand why people think that C & N are best makes in the world? As we now Nikon uses Sony's sensor, so why there is such a big difference in prices? But is not the point, question is what makes C&N better(or looking better:twisted. Not that I'm complaining about my K200 but why community when it comes to DSLR thinks C or N only?

Anyway best wishes and take care!
K20D+grip, 16-45/4, 28-80 PZ, 28-70/4, MG, ME Super
Don
Posted 23/08/2010 - 17:29 Link
best wishes.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
flossie
Posted 23/08/2010 - 18:01 Link
Sorry to see you go...

jon.dc wrote:
I then started to second shoot for a wedding photographer who used Canon. He would not let me use my Pentax so I had to always use the second body he had.

This I can't understand though. I come across similiar issues at work regularly - even if someone wants to use something that if I tried to use it I would throw it out of 10-story window - it doesn't matter, just so long as they are entirely familiar with it and know how to use it to the best, then that's what matters. In the hands of an experienced user a 20-year-old antique will out-perform the latest and greatest being used by someone who doesn't get on with it.

If I specifically want someone to use my own personal choice of system, then I would only be working with people who knew how to use it. I wouldn't tell someone they have to use something they hate, I'd just get someone else... But if I want them to perform a task, then any tool is as good as any other, it only matters if they know how to use it!
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
thoughton
Posted 23/08/2010 - 18:41 Link
flossie wrote:
Sorry to see you go...

jon.dc wrote:
I then started to second shoot for a wedding photographer who used Canon. He would not let me use my Pentax so I had to always use the second body he had.

This I can't understand though. I come across similiar issues at work regularly - even if someone wants to use something that if I tried to use it I would throw it out of 10-story window - it doesn't matter, just so long as they are entirely familiar with it and know how to use it to the best, then that's what matters. In the hands of an experienced user a 20-year-old antique will out-perform the latest and greatest being used by someone who doesn't get on with it.

If I specifically want someone to use my own personal choice of system, then I would only be working with people who knew how to use it. I wouldn't tell someone they have to use something they hate, I'd just get someone else... But if I want them to perform a task, then any tool is as good as any other, it only matters if they know how to use it!

Or it could just be simply that the lead photographer doesn't want to deal with differences in colour rendering. Probably fairly easy to solve in PP, but a pain in the backside when you're talking about hundreds or thousands of photos.

Or he wants to be able to share lenses with his number 2?

Anyway, best wishes Jon. Must admit I am occasionally tempted by Nikon gear. Then I remember the cost of switching
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
pentaxian450
Posted 24/08/2010 - 01:57 Link
thoughton wrote:

Or it could just be simply that the lead photographer doesn't want to deal with differences in colour rendering.

If that was the case, he wouldn't let him use a Nikon either. If I was in the shoes of Jon, I'd look for another mentor, since this one is obviously an a$$. It's not the camera that makes the photographer.

On the other hand, if Jon is happy with his choice, so be it. One thing to remember. The D80 AF is not much better than the AF of the K10D, uses the same sensor, and low ISO noise is better on the K10D. And the K10/20D are weather sealed. Sometimes, it rains during a wedding, and you still have to take pictures...
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
johnriley
Posted 24/08/2010 - 09:01 Link
We digress, but for weddings the warm nature of Pentax colour is superb. It's just that users of other marques have perhaps not tried and don't realise. And nobody, apart from forums like this, ever tells them.
Best regards, John
Mike-P
Posted 24/08/2010 - 09:07 Link
I can never understand threads like this.

Why do people feel the need to justify a change of equipment to the forum before going .. why not just disappear quietly into the night.

Adds a lot more mystery as well ... (unless no one notices you have gone of course)

Anyway ... bye Comment Image
johnriley
Posted 24/08/2010 - 09:13 Link
They often don't end well, but hopefully this one will be OK.
Best regards, John
jon.dc
Posted 24/08/2010 - 09:18 Link
Mike-P wrote:

Why do people feel the need to justify a change of equipment to the forum before going .. why not just disappear quietly into the night.

If I visited you in person I would not leave without saying goodbye, so it seems strange to me not to say goodbye after a few years of popping in on this forum.

I was not trying to justify my change, I do not need to justify a personal choice, I was just explaining why I had changed before I was asked. It just seemed to save any I wonder why questions and I thought it was the polite thing to do.

Any way all the best but I may pop back at some point, its hard to leave you know

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.