Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Telephoto Lens or Crop

alfiemooon
Posted 16/02/2010 - 23:04 Link
Bearing in mind that both the K10D & K20D are 10meg+ so resolution on the PC monitor is pretty good anyway....

Do I stick with the Tamron 70-300 or take a look at the Sigma 500?

...for those "I wish I could get closer" moments.

Nic
K10D,K20D
Pentax 18-55,Tamron AF 70-300,Sigma 150-500
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ
Mike-P
Posted 17/02/2010 - 06:52 Link
On a lot of occasions my 50-500mm is not long enough on the K10D ... I doubt it would be any different with the extra cropping power of the K20D/K-7 as there is always something just out of reach.
edumad
Posted 17/02/2010 - 10:20 Link
As long as the tele alternative does not loose allot in sharpness, then its always better.
iceblinker
Posted 17/02/2010 - 10:33 Link
I would expect a good longer lens to get sharper images than cropped Tamron 70-300, but only when used with a tripod.
~Pete
alfiemooon
Posted 17/02/2010 - 22:58 Link
I`ve been told that a tripod/monopod is a must...and having seen one in my local Taj Mahal Electronics superstore,I see why...and I think a years membership to a local gym wouldn`t go amiss either (titter)...it`s a monster.

However,a "pod" is fine when it comes to wildlife etc...but...when it comes to photographing the Arrows for example,what then?

Nic
K10D,K20D
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ
Anvh
Posted 17/02/2010 - 23:21 Link
alfiemooon wrote:
However,a "pod" is fine when it comes to wildlife etc...but...when it comes to photographing the Arrows for example,what then?

Nic

Use a tri/mono,- pod, i've used one to pan race cars at night
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Mike-P
Posted 18/02/2010 - 06:52 Link
alfiemooon wrote:

Nic

THIS Flickr set was done with the 50-500mm Sigma .. I never use a tripod or monopod. I must admit I probably lose a few shots because of it but I would rather that than lug one of those things around.
alfiemooon
Posted 18/02/2010 - 23:19 Link
Mike-P wrote:
alfiemooon wrote:

Nic

THIS Flickr set was done with the 50-500mm Sigma .. I never use a tripod or monopod. I must admit I probably lose a few shots because of it but I would rather that than lug one of those things around.

So not even one of those "tommy gun" grip things Mike?

And I`m now droolin on my keyboard!!!!!...I`ve seen the BBMF with both the Lanc and the Douglas Dak...but I`ve never seen Sally B...GRRRRRRR!!!...I`m jealous.

Nic
K10D,K20D
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ
Mike-P
Posted 19/02/2010 - 06:55 Link
alfiemooon wrote:

So not even one of those "tommy gun" grip things Mike?

And I`m now droolin on my keyboard!!!!!...I`ve seen the BBMF with both the Lanc and the Douglas Dak...but I`ve never seen Sally B...GRRRRRRR!!!...I`m jealous.

Nic

Nothing at all.

It was my first airshow and I got quite hooked on taking pics of aircraft. Hoping for somthing better than the K10D to use this year.
Mongoose
Posted 19/02/2010 - 12:16 Link
it has long been my belief that animals and birds have an extra sense which allows them to determine the maximum effective range of any camera/lens combination and stay just outside it. The more interesting or photogenic the creature, the keener this sense seems to become.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
alfiemooon
Posted 22/02/2010 - 15:50 Link
Mike-P...I take my hat off to you as IMHO,them there shots look fine to me,take it you had the magic switch in the ON position...off to LCE in Bristol very very soon.

Mongoose...Yep,it`s got to be some Ornithological Inverse Proportional Focal Length Gene,along the same idea of how a pigeon finds it`s way home.

Nic
K10D,K20D
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ
womble
Posted 22/02/2010 - 21:30 Link
For mere mortals who cannot handhold long lenses without terrible camera shake lugging a tripod around helps a great deal. I also take my hat off to Mike! I take my tripod on cross country walks, up hills, down dales, packed in my luggage on the plane and (sometimes) around town too particularly if I am planning to take architectural photographs (much easier to get everything level with a tripod). I bought my first tripod a few weeks after my first camera (that one travelled the world with me for over ten years before it died in a fall from a luggage rack on a dodgy Romanian bus) and I now have four in various sizes and flavours.

Using a good telephoto would be better than a crop, but I guess cropping a photo taken with a good shorter length lens would be better than using a poor quality longer lens. It also depends on how big you intend to print your photos.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Oggy
Posted 22/02/2010 - 22:25 Link
No problems here hand holding the 150-500 either.

I agree with Kris about telephotos and crops too.
RichardDay
Posted 23/02/2010 - 19:49 Link
Mongoose wrote:
it has long been my belief that animals and birds have an extra sense which allows them to determine the maximum effective range of any camera/lens combination and stay just outside it. The more interesting or photogenic the creature, the keener this sense seems to become.

So true!
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
alfiemooon
Posted 25/02/2010 - 22:18 Link
Thanks Kris...thanks Oggy...I`ve got a couple of tripods but never used them for anything bigger than my P&S digital camera of "that`ll do" style family shots at christmas....off to see Tom at LCE (Bristol) next week and see if there`s been a price increase since Dec 09.

Nic
K10D,K20D
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.