Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

TCSTV Review of the KP

Algernon
Posted 15/03/2017 - 13:19 Link
Strange! He seems happy that the Nikon D500 screen doesn't swing out for selfies .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fC5jQgc_-w8#t=212

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
johnriley
Posted 15/03/2017 - 13:52 Link
The subject of this thread is a review of the KP, so a good idea to get back to that I think.
Best regards, John
Algernon
Posted 15/03/2017 - 14:16 Link
My point is relevant. He's marked the Pentax KP down because the screen can't be flipped out all the way, but with other makes it doesn't matter. Level playing field is all I'm after even though I think stores reviewing cameras is absolute nonsense due to their vested interest. They can hardly give an independent review when they want to sell you the product.

EDIT: Some interesting reads in the comments section of the TCSTV Youtube page, particularly about what Pentax themselves said about the design of this camera. Also people complaining about TCSTV bias in this review plus missing the point of the camera.
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 15/03/2017 - 14:31
johnriley
Posted 15/03/2017 - 14:36 Link
By all means make a point Algi, but arguing ridiculous points doesn't help. At best it's irrelevant, at worst it can mislead beginners who are trying to understand something.
Best regards, John
RobL
Posted 16/03/2017 - 07:34 Link
Going back to the original review, on the same site is a comparison of unmodified PDF images taken by one camera from each manufacturer (Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Olympus, Pentax K70) all at factory neutral settings, plus iPhone. In a blind test and purely subjectively the K70 came last, however the reviewer did comment that Pentax bodies really shine with RAW images, implying that Pentax is more likely to be used by those who prefer to exploit that facility.
MrB
Posted 16/03/2017 - 10:25 Link
RobL wrote:
Going back to the original review, on the same site is a comparison of unmodified PDF images taken by one camera from each manufacturer (Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Olympus, Pentax K70) all at factory neutral settings, plus iPhone. In a blind test and purely subjectively the K70 came last...

From 'The Great JPEG Shootout', we can conclude that, if we want the best point-and-shoot camera, we would be misguided to spend around £600 on a Pentax K-70, when we could spend around £2k on a Nikon D500, and possibly see a few small highly subjective differences in image colours.

Cheers.
Philip
McGregNi
Posted 16/03/2017 - 14:03 Link
.... And the small differences between the two jpeg outputs could be mostly eliminated by a few adjustments to either one of the camera custom image settings.

I can see absolutely no legitimate purpose to comparisons of default jpeg processing outputs, certainly not on such high end cameras (there might be legitimacy to such a test between very simple point'n shoots where the makers are not expecting their customers to understand image processing or digital imagery in general).

The whole point of jpeg processing tools in a camera is to allow the user to tailor the output to suit each type of subject, lighting situation etc, plus some personal 'taste'. This means it's a dynamic tool, giving the camera added flexibility to deal with a wide range of photographic scenarios.

So the default, no input, no adjustment state has no relevance to any real world situation. There is no common default state to make any comparison valid.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.