Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Tamron 17-50 lens not focusing

dinneenp
Posted 16/07/2018 - 22:28 Link
Hi,
I have a tamron 18-5m lm lens, about 7 years old. For anehilenit struggles to focus around 17mm.onhavebto zoomnin,focus & zoom out.

Any idea what the issue could be?

It's not an expensive lens and probably would cost a bit to get repaired properly so I consider just buying a new one if it's not easy to repair.

Thanks,
Pa
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 17/07/2018 - 10:08 - Helpful Comment Link
I never had that with mine but QC with these lenses has always been a little below par. Are you using normal AF or live-view? Can you get a sharp image out of it wide open when focusing manually?
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
dinneenp
Posted 17/07/2018 - 15:18 Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I never had that with mine but QC with these lenses has always been a little below par. Are you using normal AF or live-view? Can you get a sharp image out of it wide open when focusing manually?

Will check and update.
If buying new and willing to pay somewhat more what would be recommended? Main use for general usage & the odd wedding.
Cheers,
Pa
http://www.photoblog.ie where every post have a musical reference as it's title.
johnriley
Posted 17/07/2018 - 15:36 Link
The Pentax 18-135mm is a lovely lens that will do all the things you mention.
Best regards, John
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 18/07/2018 - 07:04 Link
I recently sold my Tamron because I got a good deal on the Sigma of the same specs and I have to say that all-in-all I prefer the Sigma for it's better build and quiet focusing. It's just as good as the Tamron optically and the constant f/2.8 makes it far more useful in many situations than an f/3.5-5.6 lens.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.