Tamron 10-24 ePHOTOzine review by Pete Bargh

iceblinker
Posted 18/12/2009 - 18:52 Link
Very interesting!
~Pete
RichardDay
Posted 18/12/2009 - 19:04 Link
johnriley wrote:
The image will appear totally natural is you move your eyes very close to the screen. If you can focus about 3 inches away, then give it a try.

Didn't work for me.

Do you wear progressive "varifocal" glasses? - I use bi-focals and also use higher dioptre single vision close work glasses, neither changed the perspective stretch, even with my (large :wink nose almost touching my screen!
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
RichardDay
Posted 18/12/2009 - 19:08 Link
iceblinker wrote:
RichardDay wrote:
Even 12mm produces considerable perspective stretch

Indeed it does, and the picture above at 12mm does not look natural compared to human vision*. Sometimes exaggeration is good, though - don't you agree? - and you have that possibility more so with a lens that goes down to 10mm.

* In fact the stretch is perfectly natural for the field of view of the lens, and isn't a bother when you think like this.

I agree that perspective stretch is very useful in exaggerating many shots, especially landscapes shot low down with close forground detail such as beach/seascapes and flower shots.

I'm looking forward to doing a lot of experimenting like that with this lens.
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
Edited by RichardDay: 18/12/2009 - 19:10
johnriley
Posted 18/12/2009 - 19:18 Link
Quote:
Didn't work for me.

Glasses will not help if they are varificals. You need unaided vision.

The effect is due to there being a correct viewing distance for a print that depends upon the focal length of the lens used.

If you view an ultra-wide image very close, looking into the image as if it were a real scene, then the perspective will be correct. A standard lens should be viewed further away and a telephoto lens image even further away.

We get strange perspective effects with these lenses because we view them at the wrong distance, usually a fairly consistent comfortable distance.

This is why old Rolleiflex portraits seem to loom out at you - they are short focal lengths and we are looking at them from too far away.

This all goes to show why lenses only ever give correct perspective, regardless of focal length.
Best regards, John
Anvh
Posted 18/12/2009 - 21:07 Link
Here is a read about distortion, it's from Seizz and it's technical link
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.