Talacre Point Of Ayr Lighthouse

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 09:28
Last adventure past the back garden for the foreseeable future.
What was supposed to be a simple drive up from Worcester to Talacre to photograph the lighthouse at sunrise turned up to be a frustrating game of follow the diversion. Even the local bobby pulling the 4am shift could not offer any help in the matter.

We did finally make it and it was a bit of a dash to get to the beech. All in all a challenging and difficult shoot for me.

More images and some mindless rambling can be found here ...
https://youtu.be/CWF3IUYBV4M
YouTube: Photography Vlog
Facebook: Photography Page Weekly Updates and Musings
Twitter: Photography Mini Thoughts
Instagram: Yes, Here
Flickr: Yes Here

Nigelk

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 09:34
Very nice minimalist shot

Chrism8

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 09:36
Well shot and worth the effort in getting there, might be worth a tweak in post to lose the converging verticals imho.

Does the horizon slope left to right very slightly ?
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.
Last Edited by Chrism8 on 25/03/2020 - 09:37

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 10:08
Nice shot Geoff.

Brings back memories from a very long time ago...parents used to have a static caravan on Presthaven Sands, and we often used to walk to the lighthouse...when we as kids weren't leaping off the fabulous sand dunes a short walk from the van.

regards

Karlo

Helpful

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 15:20

Chrism8 wrote:
Well shot and worth the effort in getting there, might be worth a tweak in post to lose the converging verticals imho.

Does the horizon slope left to right very slightly ?

Thanks for the comments Chris, horizon sloped to the right by 0.027 good eyes - Corrected now - I think the darker pixels on the far edges were creating an optical illusion of a greater slope, I have toned that back a little. Any better?

I'm not sure i follow with the converging verticals? The light house is wider at the base than the top, its leaning to the right and backwards into the sea due to storm damage. I did think about correcting that however, the purists will then moan its not leaning as it does in real life, i suppose they are correct, I wouldn't fix the tower in pisa either
Last Edited by GeoffMoore on 25/03/2020 - 15:23

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 15:24
Nigelk wrote:
Very nice minimalist shot

thank you. Should be even better now.

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 15:25
1stEverPentax wrote:
Nice shot Geoff.

Brings back memories from a very long time ago...parents used to have a static caravan on Presthaven Sands, and we often used to walk to the lighthouse...when we as kids weren't leaping off the fabulous sand dunes a short walk from the van.

regards

Karlo

The area is gorgeous, once all the doom and gloom is out the way, think I might take the wife for a long weekend. Can walk the beach and enjoy the sense of wilderness.

Chrism8

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 16:00
Yes, much better now the horizons level, its one of my pet hates unfortunately and I can spot the smallest of slopes

Understand re the converging verticals, I've not shot here before so wouldn't have known its has a storm damage list !!
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

Helpful

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 17:03
Chrism8 wrote:
Yes, much better now the horizons level, its one of my pet hates unfortunately and I can spot the smallest of slopes

Understand re the converging verticals, I've not shot here before so wouldn't have known its has a storm damage list !!

thank you for the spot. Its appreciated.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 27/03/2020 - 17:04
Nice and minimal! I also was going to say about the leaning of the tower and it's a quick fix in LR but if that's the way it is then so be it
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

johnha

Link Posted 27/03/2020 - 19:00
Accepting that the base might be wider than the top, the 67 75mm shift lens manual suggests you shouldn't dial out converging verticals completely as this gives an unnatural look. Better to keep a hint in.
PPG Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.