Get 10% Off Eversure Camera Insurance Today!

Tair 3a 300mm f/4.5 soviet rocket launcher shoots bus stops

LennyBloke

Link Posted 29/11/2018 - 15:53
The A 400mm f5.6 is a very good lens, and a different optical construction to the M and K series, giving better results - it also has the advantage of usability with the superb A series -L teleconverters (1.4x and 2.0x). You're unlikely to get a very high keeper rate, but with the right settings (and conditions) and a little PP it's every bit as good )or possibly better) than some of the 3rd Party AF 400's that came later (IMO).

I've used mine for Astro, with an extension tube (the min focus distance isn't great) and even as a telephoto lens Enjoy it Andrew, look forward to seeing your results!
LennyBloke

andrewk

Link Posted 29/11/2018 - 18:34
If you look at the 100% crop of the coke can, the letters in the central area look to have a white halo around them. If you get yourself a loupe and have a close look at the coke can, it also has that halo. In the area of critical focus, the crop is simple displaying what is there.

I have read comments by some folks that the lens is soft wide open. I am yet to be convinced of that!!

Andrew
Flickr photostream

andrewk

Link Posted 11/02/2019 - 13:44
This is the Pentax A 400mm f5.6, at f/7.1 1/1250 at ISO 500 - but hand held. It looks a touch better than the 55-300mm on the previous page. It would probably be better still at f/11.

A bit of CA on the post but easily removed.

Andrew
Flickr photostream

Algernon

Link Posted 12/02/2019 - 08:12
Are these 100% crops? ...... I would have expected sharper. It's very difficult to MF focus long lenses that aren't on a tripod. Zoomed in rear screen is about the best for focussing.

I've not tried it but switching the camera over to JPG MONO should give a clearer focus peaking image. Switch back to colour for the actual shot.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 12/02/2019 - 08:29

andrewk

Link Posted 13/02/2019 - 14:50
It was hand held. I'll try again on a tripod. Yes, it is 100%. The bus stop is about 150m distance.

Andrew
Flickr photostream

Algernon

Link Posted 13/02/2019 - 15:38
150m is stretching it as far as steady shots go. Something nearer such as house chimneys/aerials would give a better comparison, although you now have quite a history of tests of that bust stop.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.