Swans - Lots Of Them

Lubbyman

Link Posted 04/08/2022 - 17:33
We took the grandkids to Abbotsbury swannery a few days ago. It's the only managed colony of mute swans in the world and dates back to the 11th century. All the swans are wild. Mute swans do not normally gather in large flocks, but they know a good thing when they see it and are willing to put up with each other when there is plenty of free food and good nesting available.

I took the Q-S1 + 02 lens. Small, unobtrusive, not likely to intrude too much on a family day out. But brilliant white swans on a very bright, sunny day... it pushed the dynamic range of the camera to the limit and beyond. Still, it produced some memories of a good family outing and with care and thought (under-expose, save as DNG and recover shaded areas in post-processing etc.) some reasonable photos emerged. So here are a few, the first three taken for the family, the fourth taken for me.

Thoughts, comments etc. welcome as always.

Steve

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 04/08/2022 - 17:59
Isn't #3 fascinating. Great catch there, Steve.
Be well, stay safe.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 05/08/2022 - 08:54
Urbanmeister wrote:
Isn't #3 fascinating. Great catch there, Steve.

Especially when viewed large - nice capture!

Just my opinion but a little manipulation of no.4 might produce a better image - the board and post at the top are slightly distracting - if you darkened (graduated filter effect?) that part and maybe vignette the whole image a little I think it would be a stunner
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.