Supplementing my K-7 in low light; K-r or K-x?

mdc

Link Posted 07/12/2011 - 14:24
I've found myself doing a lot of club photography, which ideally needs to be done at high ISOs to balance ambient with flash, and unfortunately the K-7 is a bit lacking at high sensitivities.

With that in mind, which would be better as a cheap alternative to the K7, the Kx or the Kr? I've heard the Kr is slightly better than the Kx, and the K5 slightly better than that, but I'm guessing that the Kx is several orders of magnitude less noisy than the K7 anyway, and it'd be the cheapest of the two, so... is my logic right?

michaelblue

Link Posted 07/12/2011 - 14:40
I've just done what you're contemplating and I am amazed how much better the Kx is at high ISO than the K7!
I have no experience of the Kr but I did try the K5 at 'Focus on Imaging' last year.....WOW!
I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go for the Kx,
I did see a Kr kit on e - bay for 310 yesterday....

Regards, Michael
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Last Edited by michaelblue on 07/12/2011 - 14:40

mdc

Link Posted 07/12/2011 - 14:49
Yeah I had a look at a K5 in a shop and I was like omfg... the zoom-on-AF lock feature is AMAZING as well.

Sounds like the Kx will do the job nicely though Now I just need to find one at a dirt cheap price

jeallen01

Link Posted 07/12/2011 - 22:47
mdc wrote:
Yeah I had a look at a K5 in a shop and I was like omfg... the zoom-on-AF lock feature is AMAZING as well.

Sounds like the Kx will do the job nicely though Now I just need to find one at a dirt cheap price

If you have a BestBuy locally, try that - ours had one in its fire-sale with std kit lens for 315 last week-end, but I think it will probably come down from that as it is the sole "orphan" Pentax in the display and no-one seemed to be taking any interest in it
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Darkmunk

Link Posted 07/12/2011 - 23:43
The K-x is an awesome little nightclub camera. I've got plenty of perfectly good shots taken virtually in the dark at 12800 ISO, but at a more normal 800 - 1600, the images are virtually flawless in comparison to the K7.
(I like the tight film-like grain of the K7 tho).
Now... I happen to have a blue K-x for sale. But I'm not giving it away for the above reason. 260.
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

redbusa99

Link Posted 08/12/2011 - 01:28

Where did you find that can,t see it in the manual
cheers
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Last Edited by redbusa99 on 08/12/2011 - 01:29

petemasty

Link Posted 18/12/2011 - 21:20
I bought the Kr recently and find it superb at low light shots. Far far better than my Canon 7d i previously owned, and certainly on a par with my Fuji X100. It really is quite excellent and I think is only bettered by the k5
Pete M
My Flickr

AndrewA

Link Posted 06/01/2012 - 22:48
Kr without a doubt - will go well with your older lenses too (if you still have it!)
Did you buy Jacqui's?
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.