Suilven and Inverpolly photography

tyronet2000

Link Posted 09/03/2016 - 16:48
vic cross wrote:
Avon Skin so Soft is a hair remover. Which one?,
and how the hell does that work? (against the midges)
Like Gwyn I use "DEET" but the little bu****s still eat me alive.
CHEERS Vic

Maybe it rots their teeth Vic.

Not thinking Liz and I went Roamin in the gloamin by the banks of Loch at Kinlochleven I had one or two small red marks but no itching etc. Liz felt eaten alive and I had to take her to a pharmacy in Fort William for anti histamine etc. I think I'm just immune to the midge
Regards
Stan

PPG

doingthebobs

Link Posted 09/03/2016 - 18:43
Hat with midge net. Gloves, that you can operate the camera when wearing. Best defence is to not let the midge's near your skin or go in the winter. Wind is also useful for keeping the midge away but unfortunately it often comes with rain.

Best view of a mountain is often from a smaller one nearby. The view from the top of the mountain doesn't include the mountain your on!
Torridon is great. Views across the loch and from surrounding hills/coast.

4kg sounds like a lot to me but maybe your fit!
Bob

kingfisher

Link Posted 10/03/2016 - 06:24
4kg is not really that much - i'll pack one K5 with 2 spare bateries, 4 lenses - SMC 20/4, FA31, DA*55 (all share same filter) and SMC 85/1.8 for longer reach. Then I bring BIC travel tripod and NodalNinja3 pano head....and 5 filters ....and that's it, This alone weights 4 kg in total and that's moreless my photogear limit - as I need to pack lightweight tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, some food and some clothes as well. To keep that backapack reasonably light will be quite challenging task, really

vic cross

Link Posted 10/03/2016 - 09:40
Join the Royal Marines. Put 50/60K on your back, plus whatever weapon you are carrying, and yomp for 30 miles. That separates the men from the boys.:
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

oldhat

Link Posted 10/03/2016 - 21:49
There is a fine beach at Achiltibue and grand views. The Summer Isles Hotel was always visited when I trundled around there years ago.

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 11/03/2016 - 06:41
oldhat wrote:
There is a fine beach at Achiltibue and grand views. The Summer Isles Hotel was always visited when I trundled around there years ago.

If you´re over that way the Am Fuaran bar is a great place to visit.
Lovely beach campsite at Achanaird with wonderful views of the hills in the distance.
The whole Rhuba Coigach peninsula makes a great wet weather alternative if the hills are covered in rain, normally much drier and some amazing coastal scenery, loads of some of the best rock climbing in the UK as well.
The coast from Lochinver to Stoer point is also really good, thats where Achmelvich beach (best beach in UK?) and campsite is, also Polbain beach and of course many cliffs and the epic Old man of Stoer sea stack. ´
It´s a bit drier up in Assynt/Coigach than in Torridon, but Torridon is much larger scale, if youre up for it the walk from the east side and round the back of Liatach then up by the Northern pinnacles to Mullach an Rathan then along the pinnacled ridge to Spidean a choire liath and down to the car is amongst the best mountain days in the UK (apart from Skye ridge obviously).
Cheers,

Bruce

Helpful

kingfisher

Link Posted 11/03/2016 - 15:53
Bruce, Oldhat .....thanks for pointing me to those places....will have a look at map and some google photos

Perspicador

Link Posted 12/03/2016 - 07:42

Hope you have a wonderfully successful trip! A while back, I made a visit to the Assynt area and brought back a haul of distinctively unusual landscapes and scenic photos, sampled here, but without Pentax kit. Midges are a seasonal problem and you may be fortunate in your choice of an early-year visit. We went in September, which was midge-clear. Picture of Achiltibuie shoreline, plus some Coigach scenes follow...

Quote:
... the best lack all conviction, while the worst
are full of passionate intensity.
W.B Yeats

ronniemac

Link Posted 12/03/2016 - 20:22
Gwyn wrote:
Avon Skin So Soft is a range of products. It is the original body milk/moisturiser that is supposed to work. You can buy it in many of the village shops up there.

Just looked into it a little more - it is the dry oil spray you need, though some swear by it others say it doesn't work. The only real protection against the wee blighters is to cover up, including using a midge hood.

Speaking from experience Avon dry oil spray works, for me 100%. You may end up covered with midges but they won't bite.

Not so sure it stops the signs of ageing though!

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 12/03/2016 - 21:11
ronniemac wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
Avon Skin So Soft is a range of products. It is the original body milk/moisturiser that is supposed to work. You can buy it in many of the village shops up there.

Just looked into it a little more - it is the dry oil spray you need, though some swear by it others say it doesn't work. The only real protection against the wee blighters is to cover up, including using a midge hood.

Speaking from experience Avon dry oil spray works, for me 100%. You may end up covered with midges but they won't bite.

Not so sure it stops the signs of ageing though!

Extensive cigar smoke is the best we found....
So no midge bites but cancer...you pays your money and takes your chances...
Avon SSS is the best, but you need to use a lot...for stopping bad bites we used to drink some vinegar, not sure if it worked because of the Avon SSS or because of the vinegar...
Jungle Formula is also OK (for me but not everyone) but SSS is better.
Cheers,

Bruce

doingthebobs

Link Posted 12/03/2016 - 21:51
Marmite sarnies are supposed to be another midgie repellent. Before you ask, you eat it!

Watch you don't get DEET on plastics, Some of them get dissolved by the stuff. We had a brand new tent groundsheet ruined by my wife spilling some. The polyurethane proofing just became porous,
Bob
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.