Suggested Classified Advert Guidline Change

greynolds999

Link Posted 12/04/2011 - 13:03
Looking at an advert currently on the site (and not wanting to start the debate there) I was wondering if we should change the guidelines.

As this is a UK site I feel that all items should be priced (as a minimum) in £UK and show (or include) the delivery costs to the UK also in £UK.

I'm not sayiing that people shouldn't also be able to give prices in Euro/Dollars nor include postage costs there, but I think that it's unfair to price in Dollars (and there was no indication that this was US dollars) and not to include postage costs.

(Please don't think this is having a go at the poster of the advert - it isn't. It's just my thoughts on minimum requirements.)
My Photobucket

Eastridge

Link Posted 12/04/2011 - 13:41
I agree that adverts without prices in £ and delivery to UK in £ are a bit useless on this forum.

The question is do we make rules about it, or do we leave it to 'the market' i.e. us where such an advert is likely to get little response.

On matters like this I am usually on the side of 'letting the market sort it out' unless we got swamped with such items, but this does seem pretty fundamental.

Maybe a moderator or someone could tell us , if we put this in the guidelines and an ad was posted without UK prices / postage, what would happen? Would it be removed or would the poster be advised to change it?
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod

T140

Link Posted 12/04/2011 - 14:32
If everybody filled in their location it would help.
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start

techno-terminator

Link Posted 12/04/2011 - 14:38
Too true .

Perhaps it could be made compulsory that the country of normal residence must be given ? This would at least give us an indication as to a poster's whereabouts and still let them keep some privacy.
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

johnriley

Link Posted 12/04/2011 - 15:00
This crops up from time to time, but it's no big deal really is it? You can pay someone US$ or anything else from a PayPal account and obviously you sort out shipping first.

If you want to know something of a buyer, then ask.
Best regards, John

techno-terminator

Link Posted 12/04/2011 - 15:40
John - I have not got a PayPal account and have absolutely no intention of having one .

As some posters here have found out - I'm quite happy to pay by Bank transfer - but this is not really possible for sales outside of the UK [ it costs me and the recipient ]

Algernon

Link Posted 12/04/2011 - 15:44
Don't forget the Import Duty from the US
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

techno-terminator

Link Posted 12/04/2011 - 15:46
And the fee to the Royal Mail for collecting the duty

Algernon

Link Posted 12/04/2011 - 16:02
cardiff_gareth wrote:
I think also as well as that, like PF there should be a min post count also before being able to advertise in the classiiess section

That has been discussed before. It simply means that Forum Members lose out on Bargains to Ebay and Gumtree

New members shouldn't be allowed to join and snap up Bargains immediately
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.