Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Stuck battery in my new K-5 II

Orsolia
Posted 12/12/2013 - 11:25 Link
I accidentally installed the battery in my new K-5 II the wrong way and cannot remove it. It is the correct battery -- it is the one that came with the camera.

I found the instructions rather confusing in regards to installing the battery as it read that one puts the arrow on the outside, which I took to mean the battery door end. It evidently meant the curved edge of the D-shaped battery facing out -- which is the only orientation it'll fit anyway.

I have tried everything I can think of, including supergluing on a piece of plastic, to pull the battery free. That failed miserably.

I bought my K-5 II as a heart attack survival gift, using my tax refund, but due to other injuries, cannot work right now so am on a limited income. I am regreattably having to quit teaching as the hours are a major part of why I had my heart attack.

Repair quotes from the local camera stores involve quitting food and medicines for months at a time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is killing me as I just love the feel of my new camera.

The only other idea I have had involves drilling into, thus destroying, the battery, and I hesitate to do that.

Thank you all.
bforbes
Posted 12/12/2013 - 11:32 Link
I take it you have tried sliding the little grey lock back
Orsolia
Posted 12/12/2013 - 11:34 Link
Yes. I am not that silly.

The battery is stuck -- wobbles a bit but won't budge -- grey latch disengaged.
gartmore
Posted 12/12/2013 - 11:46 - Helpful Comment Link
Whatever you do do not in any way damage the battery it will go on fire and may even explode. Is there any way that you can slide something thin and flexible down the side and around the bottom and up the other side, something like a cable tie perhaps?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
tyronet2000
Posted 12/12/2013 - 11:48 - Helpful Comment Link
Orsolia wrote:
Yes. I am not that silly.

The battery is stuck -- wobbles a bit but won't budge -- grey latch disengaged.

Sounds like the cheapest option in the long run will be the repair shop. At least you have answered the question "What happens if I insert the battery upside down"
Regards
Stan

PPG
Orsolia
Posted 12/12/2013 - 11:50 Link
I was thinking of trying some pliers -- if I can find some very fine ones.

Whilst I think I could get something down there, I don't see how I could get it to wrap around the battery and come up the other side.

Anything I did get down would also have to be very fine -- and therefore unlikely to be very strong.

Still, good thinking! I may see if I can take a shot of it so I can post a pic.

Thank you!
Orsolia
Posted 12/12/2013 - 11:51 Link
Thank you, Stan!

At least I had a laugh!
gartmore
Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:03 - Helpful Comment Link
Needle nose pliers as used by silversmiths by be small enough, cable ties have an angled end which might slip round.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
bforbes
Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:06 Link
Pictures of K5 battery and camera opening.

I'm wondering if the tags at the base of the battery holder have locked in the indent on the battery.

Comment Image

Comment Image

If you could slide some stiff plastic down the flat side of the battery to see if it releases

PS I've tried they are retractable
Edited by bforbes: 12/12/2013 - 12:07
Orsolia
Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:06 Link
Thank you, Ken! I will try the needlenosed pliers. I have another trip the the hardware shop tomorrow!
Orsolia
Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:07 Link
Barrie -- you gem! I will see what I can find!
Orsolia
Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:19 Link
Okay, Barrie.

I have tried a couple of things but nothing so far has worked.

However, I am confident that your solution is a goer -- absolutely brilliant.

What I have tried this far has not been able to trip the tags.

Thus far.

I simply need something a little tougher.

I will post any developments as they come to light.

Thank you!
ChrisA
Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:22 Link
You could bang the camera very hard on the desk and knock it out that way...
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
bforbes
Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:25 - Helpful Comment Link
Orsolia wrote:
Barrie -- you gem! I will see what I can find!

I think the tags protect the camera connections to the battery so I would go for material with no electrical conductivity
Orsolia
Posted 12/12/2013 - 12:25 Link
Thank you ChrisA!

I hadn't thought of that!

Would a sledgehammer work?

It did occur to me to borrow my mate's oxy-acetylene torch if all else failed!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.