still capture from home video - any good (Free?) downloads

Eastridge

Link Posted 03/01/2013 - 10:34
Hi,

I have tried google but so many results 'can't see the wood for the trees' so am asking here:

This was nephews first Xmas and his Dad was so focussed on taking videos with his Fuji bridge he didn't take any stills. I took very few ( 3 decent ones only)with my k-x (too busy enjoying being with tot )and one video clip with my Samsung phone (says does HD video).

Now they are regretting not having many still photos. I know that it is possible to get software to capture the individual frames from a video and convert to a still jpeg (and then could presumably PP from that jpeg in Elements 10 or older PSP which we have.)

If there was a free one I could suggest to them, or even play with myself for them ( having loads more free time than they do) that would solve the problem.

My googling just seems to come up with 'screen capture' freebies ( including faststones version and I love their viewer) but from what I read about them when I click through I don't think that's what I need to produce a quality result (? or is it)

Does anyone know of / have experience of such a free download? Or am I being too hopeful to get something like that free?

Any pointers appreciated, thanks
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod

mdc

Link Posted 03/01/2013 - 11:48
VirtualDub, but stills from a video will most likely be terrible quality regardless of what tool you use; just the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Obviously quality will vary depending on whether it's been recorded at 24, 30 or 60fps, and on the true resolution and size of the sensor (which will most likely be quite low).

Eastridge

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 11:09
Thanks mdc I'll check it out.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.