Steam punk in Saltaire 21st April

judderman62

Link Posted 22/04/2012 - 21:31
for my aged, pea sized intellect lightroom has a very steep learning curve and I battled with it for ages just to import pics in the folder structure I wanted !!!! Worth persevering though as it's a top bit of software
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

digitalCG

Link Posted 22/04/2012 - 22:52
A few of mine now online - as stated earlier, not taken with Pentax equipment so link for those interested.
Site|PPG

fatspider

Link Posted 22/04/2012 - 22:59
So I'm probably the last to post eh?

First up is a lady some of you may recognise from the Goth weekend pictures posted some time ago, (think red hair and vampire teeth) here she is in Steampunk attire enjoying an ice cream.

I think Saltaire with its Victorian mill backdrop was a good location to snap this chap, I don't remember giving him a card so if he reads this I hope he'll contact me for a copy.

My names Bond, Jayne Bond

Stand and Deliver.

My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 22/04/2012 - 23:10
digitalCG wrote:
fatspider wrote:
who was rather annoyed he'd left his K5 in the car on finding there was a PU meet

Howdo - pleasure to stumble across you chaps and I wasn't too annoyed, though did feel like a round peg in a square hole toting another brand. Nice to see so many Pentax people in one place and some cracking shots you gents have gathered!

Greetings Peter.
Personally I did'nt mind the D700 being touted around, at least you have a K-5......
Now that Pano GF3, I saw the web site, hmmmmm - No, I have the LX5, and And I have the K-5 with the 21mm on the front. But......
Some Cameras

davidtrout

Link Posted 23/04/2012 - 10:37
Great set of images, reminds me that Whitby Goths are on this coming weekend. Hope to see you all there on Saturday.
Alan, I think the woman with the ice cream is Julie, much photographed in various guises over the years, including red hair and vampire teeth.
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

fatspider

Link Posted 23/04/2012 - 11:22
Yes David, it is Julie, and I should be there on Saturday, not staying over this year so may try for an early start and meet you all for breakfast.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 23/04/2012 - 12:07
davidtrout wrote:
Great set of images, reminds me that Whitby Goths are on this coming weekend. Hope to see you all there on Saturday.

Unfortunately I'll be unable to make that... But hope to come along to another meet soon...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Blythman

Link Posted 23/04/2012 - 12:44
Very nice sets from all of you guys. Looks like you had a good day out.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Frogherder

Link Posted 23/04/2012 - 14:45
To be honest I was expecting traction engines/road rollers/2-6-4 to 6-8-6 locomotives and found a range of quite delightfully illustrative photographs of some quite curious people

I am curious - Where does the name/description "steam punk" originate and why, as one thing I don't recall seeing is any "steam".

regards
Bernard

milamber

Link Posted 23/04/2012 - 15:27
Frogherder wrote:
To be honest I was expecting traction engines/road rollers/2-6-4 to 6-8-6 locomotives and found a range of quite delightfully illustrative photographs of some quite curious people

I am curious - Where does the name/description "steam punk" originate and why, as one thing I don't recall seeing is any "steam".

regards
Bernard

Courtesy Wikepedia

"Steampunk is a genre which came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s and incorporates elements of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, horror, and speculative fiction. It involves a setting where steam power is widely used—whether in an alternate history such as Victorian era Britain or "Wild West"-era United States, or in a post-apocalyptic time —that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. This technology includes such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the contemporary authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld and China Mieville"

Clockwork is also widely used and novels often feature steam-powered 'beings'. Some of my favourite novels are steampunk, but I doubt I'd ever have the courage to dress up like that
Last Edited by milamber on 23/04/2012 - 15:30

Frogherder

Link Posted 23/04/2012 - 16:03
Thank you, for once it never occured to me to look on wikipedia

I suppose when you analyse it Willy Wonka was probably of this ilk.

As for dressing up .... not a chance.It was bad enough wearing a penguin suit for a wedding.

regards
Bernard
Last Edited by Frogherder on 23/04/2012 - 16:04

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 23/04/2012 - 16:13
milamber wrote:

Clockwork is also widely used and novels often feature steam-powered 'beings'. Some of my favourite novels are steampunk, but I doubt I'd ever have the courage to dress up like that

I'm now seriously considering a steampunk/Doctor Who type look for my graduation outfit in the summer...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Hardgravity

Link Posted 23/04/2012 - 19:04
DaveHolmes wrote:
milamber wrote:

I'm now seriously considering a steampunk/Doctor Who type look for my graduation outfit in the summer...

Go for it Dave, you know you want too..
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

fatspider

Link Posted 23/04/2012 - 20:52
Quote:
I doubt I'd ever have the courage to dress up like that

Wear a mask and no-one will know its you
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.