Song Thrush in Yorkshire, UK

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 14/07/2022 - 15:44
A beautiful bird I often used to see in my youth - a Song Thrush.
Now not so common methinks (or do I need to go to SpecSavers?).
Kettlewell churchyard, Upper Wharfdale, Yorkshire, England, UK.
It didn't lurk for long and hopped around hidden in the undergrowth and so this was the best snap that I could get.

K-3iii at 1/500th sec, f5.6, 85mm on 16-85mm Pentax lens, 1600 ISO - a RAW file processed with DX0 PureRaw2

Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
Gotta K-3 iii now, had a K-S2 and so suffering from a relapse and buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 40 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 14/07/2022 - 15:51
Good one.
Be well, stay safe.

Helpful

takuman

Link Posted 14/07/2022 - 15:54
Well spotted and captured, can't remember last time I saw one. Sad, used to be common.
Just passing thru

Helpful

Aitch53

Link Posted 14/07/2022 - 16:19
takuman wrote:
Well spotted and captured, can't remember last time I saw one. Sad, used to be common.

True. We used to get a few Mistle thrushes hereabouts. Not seen any this year.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

Helpful

Lubbyman

Link Posted 14/07/2022 - 18:41
Nice to see a picture of a song thrush. Heard 'em but not seen 'em this year.

Steve

Helpful

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 14/07/2022 - 19:20
Lubbyman wrote:
Nice to see a picture of a song thrush. Heard 'em but not seen 'em this year.

Steve

Long-term monitoring carried out by the British Trust for Ornithology shows that the population in England declined by more than 50 per cent between 1970 and 1995. This decline was most pronounced on farmland, where the population decreased by about 70 per cent. Because of this decline, the song thrush is Amber listed as a bird of serious conservation concern. There has been a partial recovery in numbers during the last decade.
Gotta K-3 iii now, had a K-S2 and so suffering from a relapse and buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 40 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more

takuman

Link Posted 14/07/2022 - 20:20
Knew had a photo of Song Thrush. Taken through window (laid up with snapped knee ligaments) 2nd March 2018. Last time I saw one.

Just passing thru

Helpful

takuman

Link Posted 15/07/2022 - 11:48
Despite exif etc. I know my knee trouble was 2015/2016 when this was taken.
Just passing thru

Helpful

Chrism8

Link Posted 15/07/2022 - 12:29
Well spotted particularly in the tree / bush, it does look like your focus points were a tad off as the holly in front of the bird is sharper than the bird, I do find on my K3iii its quite easy to nudge the track ball and move the focus points.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

Helpful

MrB

Link Posted 16/07/2022 - 04:31
Chrism8 wrote:

...it does look like your focus points were a tad off as the holly in front of the bird is sharper than the bird...

Yes, it makes the song thrush look like a painting.

Philip

Helpful

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 16/07/2022 - 15:31
Chrism8 wrote:
Well spotted particularly in the tree / bush, it does look like your focus points were a tad off as the holly in front of the bird is sharper than the bird, I do find on my K3iii its quite easy to nudge the track ball and move the focus points.

Your constructive criticism is correct re the focus point.
Thanks for the reminder re the tracker ball.
To be honest - it was a grab shot. One of only two I was able to get before the lovely birdie flew off.
I usually do the grab shots first, then the proper photos but, as we all know, there are times when nature will not stay and co-operate/pose to our wishes!!!!

It's what real bird photographers call a RECORD SHOT
Last Edited by GrumpyGrandPa on 16/07/2022 - 15:36

LennyBloke

Link Posted 16/07/2022 - 17:52
Lovely capture (regardless of slight oof) - and yes a much rarer sight than years gone by! I've seen one in last ten years in my garden
LennyBloke

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.