Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Some Soligor 105mm black and whites

davidwozhere
Posted 12/02/2022 - 16:24 Link
The current monthly competition reminded me of black and white at the same time as Grogeman presented us with some of his excellent and
thoughtful offerings. I have always liked the way black and white makes you concentrate on the subject itself so I put a veteran Soligor 1:2.8 105mm
on the K1 and went to see what I could find in the hedgerows.

1. Elder is usually a scruffy sort of half tree, half bush that few would bother photographing in colour. Without its leaves and in black and white
however, the stems shone, as if made from some sort of metallic stuff.
Comment Image

2. I was even more taken by the bright, creamy white edges around the leaves of a holly bush. This particular sprig had bright sunshine bouncing
off it that contrasted with the darker interior of the hedge.
Comment Image

3. There is always lichen to be found on most hawthorn twigs.
Comment Image

4. Comment Image

5. Finally, some ash keys. These stay on their trees all winter, often looking as if the tree has been draped with rubbish. Although an entire
tree full of them can look a little untidy there is a mass of detail to be drawn out that would be swamped in a colour image.
Comment Image

Takumar 105s tend to be quite expensive and the older pre-set aperture ones even more so. Soligor's 105mm is slightly cheaper and
my copy actually outperforms both Pentax versions. If you get the opportunity I would certainly recommend buying one.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
PRYorkshire
Posted 13/02/2022 - 09:39 Link
I like all of these, great lighting and well suited to b&w. Very impressed with the results from the lens and smooth bokeh makes the subjects really stand out.
Paul

K1000, Espio 140, ist, istD, K70, K3iii and numerous lenses, just don't tell my wife.
womble
Posted 13/02/2022 - 10:23 Link
Lovely set especially the holly.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Posted 13/02/2022 - 12:56 Link
What everyone else says. For me it's No. 2, really great lighting plus, I do like mono. Nice work there.
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
Flan
Posted 13/02/2022 - 13:45 Link
Yep agree with above ,the holly is special light
OldTaffy
Posted 13/02/2022 - 15:14 Link
I too like the holly the best. I feel that lichens really need colour.

I still have the Soligor 135mm f/2.8 that I bought years ago to use with my old Spotmatic. I put it on a K-x dslr (with a 42mm to K mount adapter) a year or two ago and was surprised how good the Soligor was.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
LennyBloke
Posted 13/02/2022 - 15:42 Link
Nice set David - I like the processing, the metallic sheen and glow in the first shot makes it the favourite for me
LennyBloke
davidwozhere
Posted 14/02/2022 - 01:17 Link
Thank you for your encouragement. The lichens probably would be better in colour but I only had a black and white film in the K1

My page on Photocrowd
cardiffgareth
Posted 26/02/2022 - 20:30 Link
I like the holly but something is also drawing me to No. 4
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
jvs
Posted 27/02/2022 - 14:17 Link
PRYorkshire wrote:
I like all of these, great lighting and well suited to b&w. Very impressed with the results from the lens and smooth bokeh makes the subjects really stand out.

Agree totally.
John
davidwozhere
Posted 28/02/2022 - 00:18 Link
Thank you Gareth, John. I'm looking forward to the wild garlic flowering now.

My page on Photocrowd
Sry
Posted 04/03/2022 - 16:51 Link
All nicely captured indeed, but 4 is most compelling (to me) in its composition.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.