Some Help Required - Product (Jewellery) photography

JamieT

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 11:35
A colleague makes bespoke jewellery and I have agreed to help with the photography for a website they are producing.

They have pointed me in the direction of the below site as my 'inspiration'. They are after the same deep black background to the pieces.

link

I was nieve thinking that black card would do the job, the texture is miles out.

Any tips for recreating this effect would be greatly received. Is it likely these were photographed on a neutral background and PP'd?

Thanks
K5, LTD 15 SIG 30, SIG 105.

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 11:42
Black velvet is the way to go.

ChrisR

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 11:46
Gwyn wrote:
Black velvet is the way to go.

Would second this.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 12:32
Black velvet, inside a tent, lit by a builders work lamp.
Simple, cheap, effective.
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

CoDa

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 16:33
Agreed with all the comments above.
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

JamieT

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 19:17
Cheers all. The home made light tent is ready to go. Just need to hunt some black velvet.

PeteL

Link Posted 18/09/2011 - 08:20
This link might be useful http://www.tabletopstudio.com/

Best Regards - Peter

tyronet2000

Link Posted 18/09/2011 - 11:52
PeteL wrote:
This link might be useful http://www.tabletopstudio.com/

Best Regards - Peter

thanks for the link, very interesting, maybe I can use something like that for my ebay items

Regards
Regards
Stan

PPG

NaimKhan

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 09:48
I once needed balck background for a shot and used my wife's black headscarf wrapped round a board - worked like a charm.
Regards.
PPG

Frogherder

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 11:12
Quote:
Just need to hunt some black velvet.

Try your local upholsterers, they often have cut-offs of velvets.
I got about a square yard of dark chocolate velvet to cover a stool for 75p from my local one last year and he had several other colours (deep purple, vivid red, a loveley green shade) just shoved in a cardboard box, presumeably waiting for a trip to the skips.

Then there are the curtain makers who probably have bits as well.

regards
Bernard

JamieT

Link Posted 23/10/2011 - 19:19
Quick update with some pictures of my efforts. After trying a few methods I preferred the results in the table top studio link above provided by PeteL.

I had an empty canvas frame and pulled a length of white cotton across the the frame to hang the items from. this was then positioned in front of some velvet affixed to the wall. I had a basic 35W light and the camera on a tripod. They were shot at 70mm with a Sigma 17-70 I recently acquired.

It was difficult to get pieces as I had to sit well in the light tent, so I felt this gave best results.

Would gladly accept comments of how to improve.

[/url]

AndrewA

Link Posted 23/10/2011 - 20:01
My wife saw me looking at these...guess now she thinks I am looking to buy her some gems! Damn and blast..
They have turned out well I think.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

aminstar

Link Posted 26/01/2012 - 16:52
Hi Jamie
I have learnt at my own expense that jewellery photography is one of the most difficults to master.

I was approached a few weeks ago by a big jewellery shop to do product photography and haven't stopped researching and tweaking stuff. There is so much to it and lighting is just one of the main things to control. But there are also lots of other aspects involved that makes it really hard but very fulfilling when you finally manage to get results after all the effort.

You certainly seem to be on the right track, those results seem very promising in my view, so do not be discouraged and keep perfecting your shots.

Amin
Amin Photo Gallery
Last Edited by aminstar on 26/01/2012 - 16:53
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.