So what are you going to do RE: Ricoh purchase of Pentax

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

K10D

Link Posted 08/07/2011 - 03:36
mikeyscope wrote:
John

I wanted a wide angle lens that would offer sharpness to the frame corners for astro related night scenes this Autumn. Even checked out the nearest full frame equivalents for this task but couldn't find another that could exceed it's optical performance at this focal length...I think I've fallen in love with this lens!

Mike

But I suppose it depends on which reviews or views you look at.
link

I use a 17-35 f/2.8 and a 14-24mm f/2.8, both FF on FF, and would not consider the 12-24, FOV(18-36mm), a "better" lens than either of them.

The main thing is that your happy with it.

Best regards
When something goes wrong in the circus, they send clowns into the arena to distract the audience.

ronniemac

Link Posted 10/07/2011 - 18:59
I voted yes, which is in a way correct - indeed I did buy a Pentax zoom lens today on Ebay. Then I did something to mark the occasion of Ricoh acquiring Pentax, I bought a Ricoh lens - it's an old prime, f1.4 50mm, all manual. I guess others were thinking along the same lines - the auction attracted nearly 60 bids! (incl auto bids). Any excuse to get a fast prime, even if not strictly speaking a Pentax.

Don

Link Posted 10/07/2011 - 19:05
ronniemac wrote:
I voted yes, which is in a way correct - indeed I did buy a Pentax zoom lens today on Ebay. Then I did something to mark the occasion of Ricoh acquiring Pentax, I bought a Ricoh lens - it's an old prime, f1.4 50mm, all manual. I guess others were thinking along the same lines - the auction attracted nearly 60 bids! (incl auto bids). Any excuse to get a fast prime, even if not strictly speaking a Pentax.

you know about the lock pin issue don't you?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Algernon

Link Posted 10/07/2011 - 19:42
Don wrote:
ronniemac wrote:

you know about the lock pin issue don't you?

A lot of the Ricoh 50mm f/1.4's are earlier than that Don, but if it does have it it needs removing or grinding down.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

pgweber

Link Posted 10/07/2011 - 21:41
I love my Rikenon 50mm f2 (circa KR10 Super, manual and no pin issues).
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, 55-300 Mk1, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm

K10D

Link Posted 11/07/2011 - 05:09
K10D wrote:
I voted no.......etc,

YET, I am awaiting delivery of a new Pentax 21mm, it's not for me though, it's a present for some one back in the UK. I will "field test" it here though before I take it back.

Best regards
When something goes wrong in the circus, they send clowns into the arena to distract the audience.

ronniemac

Link Posted 11/07/2011 - 16:31
Thanks for the warning Don and Algernon. I had seen the article about this - it was a concern so I checked the picture of the lens fitting and it seems I'll be ok, no sign of any pin. I gather it applied to later versions of the lens than the manual one I have bought. Rest assured, I will check before I attach and grind off any offending pins.

Algernon

Link Posted 11/07/2011 - 18:21
The pin is in exactly the same position as the screw that drives the focus in the lens and it's the same hole that it gets stuck in. The 1st thing to try if you ever get one stuck is turning AF on, it may just push the pin back. After that a thin feeler gauge might go under.

A lot of the pins are rounded and don't get stuck.

Algi

Don

Link Posted 11/07/2011 - 18:32
Algernon wrote:
The pin is in exactly the same position as the screw that drives the focus in the lens and it's the same hole that it gets stuck in. The 1st thing to try if you ever get one stuck is turning AF on, it may just push the pin back. After that a thin feeler gauge might go under.

A lot of the pins are rounded and don't get stuck.

Don wrote:
flat metal automotive feeler guages (in conjunction with repeatedly pressing and releasing the lens release on the body)might work if there's any wiggle room to get it in there.
in fact you might try just pressing the lens release on the camera body and allowing it to snap back. the idea is to wiggle the lens back and forth and get it centered so the pin in the lens will hopefully have some slack to move. then snap the button on the body and simultaniously turn the lens.
the idea is to allow the af drive shaft (which moves up and down with the lens lock, to push up on the lens pin

minimicrite wrote:
Your comments got me to doing a little different search, and i came up with one of your earlier posts that did the trick. Pushing the lens release and simultaneously twisting the lens got it off on the first shot. I've gotten the pin out of the lens, so there will no more of that nastiness.

link

yeah this has come up once or twice before...lol!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 11/07/2011 - 18:33

Algernon

Link Posted 11/07/2011 - 18:51
The next Pentax camera (K-3??? ) won't
have that problem.... Ha!Ha!

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 11/07/2011 - 18:51

ZOOM1

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 19:32
I voted yes! Plus I just bought two lenses 2days ago!! Went and bought me a FA77 limited (got it for a pretty good price brand new, $6190HKD = 495 compared to 750!) and the DA10-17mm Fisheye.
I'll soon be getting the DA21 limited or the DA15 limited and DA*18-135mm in coming months...but first in the line is the battery grip for my K-5!

Lucky Lee

Link Posted 18/07/2011 - 08:39
I've voted 'Yes'. In 2 weeks I'll be made redundant and with the severence pay, shares, free shares etc I'll be putting some aside to get a K5, 3 lenses and a flashgun.
I hope that Ricoh will bring out more lenses for the range, especially some good telephotos.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 18/07/2011 - 09:30
ronniemac wrote:
Rest assured, I will check before I attach and grind off any offending pins.

You'll take a grinder to your lens? Yikes.

Just unscrew the screws holding the back plate to the lens, and you will be able to remove the pin.

Much nicer than filling your lens with iron filings.

G
(Owner of a Ricoh-fit VS1 70-210, now sans-pin)
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.