Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Small field monitor for K-3iii etc

Posted 15/05/2023 - 11:09 Link
I've been frustrated by the fixed screen on the otherwise excellent k-3iii for low level macro work which I do a lot. I've tried commercial field monitors (like the Atomos Shinobi) which work very well with HDMI out but are bulky, heavy and require an external power source. I've designed and built a very small field monitor which overcomes some of these.
The advantages are
small and light
self contained including lipol battery
rechargeable and power able by a micro usb
includes a remote shutter button and cable so i can use it as a remote cable release as well as a monitor which works very well for macro
cheap(ish)
exactly engineered to work for this application

The disadvantages are
relatively low res (but seems ok in actual use)
Some distortion of aspect ratio.. for some reason the full screen (ie not magnified) hdmi output scales 4:3 not 3;2 so has some horizontal compression. In practice though this doesn't much affect its use
case etc are 3d printed with slightly rough look

I'm really pleased with this and I'm wondering if there would be a market for
1. a partial kit with the custom made parts needing just the 2 commercial boards and a battery to complete it (based on a adafruit 500c and a yosoo rapi hdmi display) probable cost circa uk £40
2. a full built unit (but still 3D printed and hence still looking a bit rough probable cost £120ish

I'm also willing to share the 3d stl files with anyone who wants them at no cost

I hope this is interesting, I'm certainly finding it very useful
cheers
Mark

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
Edited by mbrickley: 15/05/2023 - 11:11
Antony
Posted 15/05/2023 - 18:49 Link
Sounds like a good idea! I'd be interested if it will work with the GR3x.
Posted 15/05/2023 - 22:16 Link
Antony wrote:
Sounds like a good idea! I'd be interested if it will work with the GR3x.

It should if it’s got a hdmi out. To be clear this is just a packaged tiny hdmi monitor with a small lipo battery and charger pcb so I think l would be fine with any hdmi camera.

I can send you the stl files if you fancy having a go at making one or you could just order the hdmi monitor board from Amazon and see if that works with your camera … if it does then the rig should work.

Search on Amazon for
OSOYOO 3.5 inch LCD HDMI Mini Touch Screen RPi GPIO Device HDMI Converter for Raspberry Pi

Cheers
Mark
SteveF
Posted 16/05/2023 - 22:24 Link
I'd be interested in this for my 645D. It has a mini HDMI out.

I'll keep my eye on this thread.
Antony
Posted 17/05/2023 - 09:24 Link
mbrickley wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Antony"]Sounds like a good idea! I'd be interested if it will work with the GR3x.

Search on Amazon for
OSOYOO 3.5 inch LCD HDMI Mini Touch Screen RPi GPIO Device HDMI Converter for Raspberry Pi

Could you identify which screen you have used, please? The Amazon link coughs up a myriad of options!
Posted 17/05/2023 - 15:18 Link
Antony wrote:
mbrickley wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Antony"]Sounds like a good idea! I'd be interested if it will work with the GR3x.

Search on Amazon for

Could you identify which screen you have used, please? The Amazon link coughs up a myriad of options!

Sure no problem
The link is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOOKYE-Raspberry-Screen-Device-Converter/dp/B01N5G02MZ/...

It needs a hdmi input and is powered by mini usb which for testing purposes you can use any hubs power supp,y for

Although it’s very rough and rigged I’m really pleased with mine
Good luck
Thanks Mark
Cayman
Posted 17/05/2023 - 20:52 Link
Nice idea and top marks for building your own but From what I can see hdmi camera monitors are already available on Amazon for around £100-120 so you be up against established competitors.
E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feelworld-Camera-Monitor-Assist-1280x800/dp/B07LFWMY1P/...

Also on the latest cameras I think you can do live view on your iPhone but for earlier cameras the monitors have a place.
Edited by Cayman: 17/05/2023 - 20:54
Posted 18/05/2023 - 07:55 Link
Cayman wrote:
Nice idea and top marks for building your own but From what I can see hdmi camera monitors are already available on Amazon for around £100-120 so you be up against established competitors.
E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feelworld-Camera-Monitor-Assist-1280x800/dp/B07LFWMY1P/...

Also on the latest cameras I think you can do live view on your iPhone but for earlier cameras the monitors have a place.

Hi
Thanks for the comments.
I’m unlikely to launch this as a commercial product… frankly I don’t have the time and I’d rather be using the camera however my little monitor is actually very different from the other field monitors …..

First is the size. I have a Atomos shinobi which is about the smallest commercial monitor I could find. It is a 5.5 inch monitor with great screen but weighs about 5 times mine homebrew one and needs an external battery which weighs more than the whole monitor on mine (the battery alone is 275g versus 135g all in on mine. The homebrew one is also about a quarter of rhe volume.

Secondly I included the remote shutter release in mine so I think the best way to think a bit it is rather as a remote shutter release that also has a small low res monitor in it for checking framing and focus for low macro shots where you’d need a shutter release to minimise movement anyway. Since this is a type of photography I use a lot, for me it’s really useful

As always though ymmv but I guess for some folk it might be worth the hassle of homebrewing this.

Have a good day
Mac
Cayman
Posted 18/05/2023 - 14:04 Link
Ok understood. Thank you but just wondering have you tried the Ricoh image sync app and how does that compare as I think it also gives live view and remote shutter release in a small package with your smartphone?
Posted 19/05/2023 - 06:30 Link
Cayman wrote:
Ok understood. Thank you but just wondering have you tried the Ricoh image sync app and how does that compare as I think it also gives live view and remote shutter release in a small package with your smartphone?

Hi
I did try the image app and it works well once connected but I found it took a few minutes and a good deal of faff to connect to the camera (live image needs both a blue tooth and Wi-Fi connection) which needs redoing each time you turn the camera off whereas a hard wired connection using hdmi and the remote release socket takes less than 10 seconds. The phone app also won’t allow you to magnify the live view to check focus whereas the ok button works normally to zoom to 100% using hdmi out. It’s also true that I prefer a hardwired plug it in type Connection since it’s less to think about and remember in the field… that is personal preference of course

Have a good day
Matk
Edited by mbrickley: 19/05/2023 - 06:31
Cayman
Posted 19/05/2023 - 15:29 Link
Ahh. I have never needed to even try to use the image sync app so didn't appreciate it is not at all user friendly. It sounds like a right faff to get it to connect. In that case I fully understand what you've done and why. Good on you!

If only Ricoh had added a floppy screen to the K3iii!
Posted 19/05/2023 - 22:46 Link
If only Ricoh had added a floppy screen to the K3iii![/quote]

So true, I use a Nikon full frame too and this is about the only thing that I miss. Still the perfect camera never has been and probably never will be made. The Olympus OM4ti gets close tho’

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.