Slides to Digital.

K10D

Link Posted 02/02/2010 - 09:47
I have used Gepe glass mounts to hold the neg or slide "flat" when scanning with good results. Normally leave the standard settings as is and scan away. It's time consuming but if you commit to it, it's all worth while.

Regards

womble

Link Posted 02/02/2010 - 13:02
Having scanned quite a few slides at work and at a friend's, I know how time-consuming it is. I intend to just scan them as and when I need them. Working my way through 8000+ slides is too horrible to contemplate. I'll try scanning them as is to start with. I'd rather not re-mount them as it would mean re-writing all the info on the new mount, re-numbering them and so on. I guess it would be worthwhile for the few I want to print and mount, or perhaps use in a photobook, but for the majority I'll make do. Not sure how to safely get them out of a cardboard Kodak mount!

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

arto

Link Posted 02/02/2010 - 13:36
By the way, don't be dismayed if you notice a magenta tint to the scans. This seems to be normal with these scanners. It's easy to fix in PS.
www.siskinpress.co.uk

womble

Link Posted 02/02/2010 - 14:02
I'll scan some snowy pictures first and work out the best way to get rid of the tint! Thanks for the tip.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

womble

Link Posted 03/02/2010 - 01:51
First quick attempt at almost 2am, so not really all that good!

Taken in 1983, Pentax ME Super, SMC-M 50mm f/2 lens, Boots 100 ASA slide film, tripod and no idea as to the shutter speed or aperture.

Kris Lockyear

My website

Darkmunk

Link Posted 03/02/2010 - 09:49
ha ha... Snap!
P30e, kit wide zoom, Kodak slide 1989 (them, were the days!)
50mm m1:7 on extension tube and the slide mounted on end of toilet roll

Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

womble

Link Posted 03/02/2010 - 09:58
I think I need some slide cleaner... the puffer doesn't make too much impact on the oldest of the slides I've ordered some PEC-12, I hope it goes a long way!

This is slide No 168 and was shot in August 1982 in Shropshire on Kodachrome 64, Pentax ME Super, 50mm f/2 lens. No processing after the scan apart from resizing. I zoomed in to clone out the muck to discover so much muck there was barely anything to clone from!

I am going to try a new K64 slide and see what happens.

Kris Lockyear

My website
Last Edited by womble on 03/02/2010 - 10:03

K10D

Link Posted 03/02/2010 - 10:00
It will be a solitary life from now on Kris.

Regards

womble

Link Posted 03/02/2010 - 10:04
K10D wrote:
It will be a solitary life from now on Kris.

Well at least it might keep me off ebay...
Kris Lockyear

My website

SteveA

Link Posted 03/02/2010 - 13:07
I also need to scan a lot of 35mm slides & negs, but will also need to scan my parents 2 & 1/4 inch square slides - the 2 & 1/4 slides are in frames (with glass) - which epson flatbed will cope?

Note: My dad bought a shop soiled 2 1/4 square projector from Shrewsbury a few years ago - even though his camera is all manual - the quality of the images blows you away!

womble

Link Posted 03/02/2010 - 22:32
SteveA wrote:
I also need to scan a lot of 35mm slides & negs, but will also need to scan my parents 2 & 1/4 inch square slides - the 2 & 1/4 slides are in frames (with glass) - which epson flatbed will cope?

The V700.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

womble

Link Posted 04/02/2010 - 09:13
Sadly, I missed the focus back in 1982. The cat didn't hang around for a second attempt, I remember. I still have Mum's cheese plant!

Kris Lockyear

My website

Smeggypants

Link Posted 10/02/2010 - 05:26
Jetsam1 wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
I have a Plustek 7500i - I bought it to scan my old 35mm negs. It's actually very very good indeed. It cost just over £200

How did you find the experience of using this machine? I have boxes of my Grandads and Dads slides that could do with digitising.

I understand it's a slow process but how good is the image it produces in comparison to a good DSLR image and did you have to do considerable editing work within the computer post scanning?

Cheers!

The plustek works great when using it with Vuescan scanning software.

A lot of editing is required to get things even close to DLSR standards though, but months later I'm still scanning my old 1980s negs and enjoying every minute of it. Compared to the prints I had done back then the pics have a whole new lease of life.

But ultimately the image quality is limited by the original neg/slide and your editing skills. The Plustek is no bottleneck in this regard.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.