Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Site access problems

pete
Posted 23/06/2012 - 10:42 Link
Anyone else having access problems??
After logging in I get iexplore.exe running at 99 -100% and cannot do anything. The only way round this is to terminate the process, allow the page to recover then all is well until I navigate to another page then the same occurs. Anyone else having a problem or is it just me??
Admin not sure if this is in the right place apologies if its not.
steven9761
Posted 23/06/2012 - 11:23 Link
Pete - any chance you have been browsing unfamiliar sites prior to your problem? Maybe a site bombarded you with pop-ups?

Have a go at the following, having disconnected from the internet:

Run DISK CLEANUP
once this is complete,
Run DISK DEFRAGMENTER.

When you have completed both of the above actions, reboot your computer, then run your anti-virus program (check for updated virus definitions first though!). Once complete, run an anti-malware program. If you don't already have a malware detector installed, download MALWAREBYTES, or SPYBOT S&D, but make sure you grab these free programs from either of the following sites:

www.malwarebytes.org
www.safer-networking.org

Hopefully, that will get things back to normal. :
Edited by steven9761: 23/06/2012 - 11:24
pete
Posted 23/06/2012 - 13:37 Link
Steve,
the same was happening on my lads laptop too. Only after logging in however. My machine is pretty clean anyway, already has AV and Malwarebytes installed. I have deleted temp int files and things seem to be much better. I will run cleaner and defrag later though.
Thanks for the advice.
JohnX
Posted 23/06/2012 - 16:42 Link
I've been experiencing frequent problems with 'pentaxuser.co.uk not responding' messages, leadng to the need to reload the web page.

No problems to-day though.
steven9761
Posted 23/06/2012 - 16:48 Link
Guys - try a speed test (www.speedtest.net) and a ping test (www.pingtest.net)... This might alert you to any potential network performance issues. If you have below par download/upload speeds, talk to your network provider. Pingtest will help to identify bottlenecks in the network.
Edited by steven9761: 23/06/2012 - 16:48
gartmore
Posted 24/06/2012 - 07:34 Link
if you are having prolems then click on 'report problem' at the bottom of the page, that way IT can have a look at it. I think its unlikely that they will know otherwise.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
cbrog
Posted 24/06/2012 - 10:41 Link
I started getting this problem fairly recently but not solely associated with this site. The common factor seems always to be Internet Explorer making very high demands on the CPU - as Pete says sometimes 90-100%.
I had not realised that others were experiencing the same problem and assumed that the fault lay with my computer.

Could this be an ISP problem? (mine is btinternet/yahoo) or is IE starting to show its age as software such as Windows and Norton, for example, becomes ever more bloated...

Roger
Edited by cbrog: 24/06/2012 - 10:49
steven9761
Posted 24/06/2012 - 10:50 Link
It's possible that a Windows Update has caused this, although BT were also updating the broadband network in the early hours of Friday morning.
OldTaffy
Posted 25/06/2012 - 23:14 Link
I hardly ever get any virus problems (my ISP seems to have a v. good antivirus screen) but earlier today I got a surprise warning while trying to log on to pentaxuser.co.uk

I'm not sure how it happened, but I knew that I might have pressed a wrong key (Ctrl?) by mistake, or maybe the mouse moved and I clicked somewhere I shouldn't have in the accompanying adverts. Immediately I got a warning (from McAfee or ZoneAlarm - not sure which) that I had linked to a trojan:

... Tempplugtmp-1plugin-aqjzjmhoasjmdu8.pdf

and that it had been deleted.

Any chance that one of our dear advertisers is harbouring some malware that is the cause of your slowdown?

Hope not!

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
greynolds999
Posted 26/06/2012 - 09:52 Link
This seems to be down to some of the adverts, which are pretty much out of PU's control.

I'm using McAfee at the moment and frequently get a warning about the page having 'suspicious' sources.
damperman
Posted 26/06/2012 - 13:52 Link
Ive been told by McAfee twice that i have a trojan and McAfee has sorted it. It only happens when on this site. Also get a warning about the page having suspicious sources.
steven9761
Posted 26/06/2012 - 14:04 Link
I use McAfee, and have never had it flag up anything on this site as suspicious. Perhaps you have been browsing sites that have installed unauthorised cookies on your pc. There's a new UE directive that means that websites must make the user aware of their cookie policy, and how those cookies will be used. I'd suggest cleaning out all stored cookies on your pc, and only authorise those cookies that explain fully how they will be used when you revisit sites you already trust.

If you are purchasing goods online, make sure they display the padlock symbol on the address bar - you may also see the name "THAWTE" instead of, or in conjunction with. If it doesn't have these indicators, and especially if it attempts to install a cookie on the purchase page WITHOUT the aforementioned "secure shopping" symbol(s), I'd advise you NOT TO PURCHASE ONLINE from that site, and should instead conduct the transaction over the telephone.
Frogherder
Posted 26/06/2012 - 14:38 Link
I've just had a spate of security alerts and a virus alert during my visit to this site today (only been on this site). The following is a part of the incident report

Security risk detected: Exploit/CVE-2010-0094:26/06/2012 14:18:47
Path: http://registrdomains.us/jobce2/bocmezhpxzxpa.jar[Dot.class][lz.class]
Security risk detected: Exploit/CVE-2010-0094:26/06/2012 14:18:47
Path: http://registrdomains.us/jobce2/bocmezhpxzxpa.jar[Dot.class]
Virus detected: Trj/Xpacked.A:26/06/2012 14:18:46
Path: http://capucchinopayments.com/jobce2/cp.php?i=6&f=c0af9&e=0[cp.php]
Security risk detected: Exploit/CVE-2010-0094:26/06/2012 14:18:42
Path: http://registrdomains.us/jobce2/bocmezhpxzxpa.jar[Dot.class][lz.class]
Security risk detected: Exploit/CVE-2010-0094:26/06/2012 14:18:42
Path: http://registrdomains.us/jobce2/bocmezhpxzxpa.jar[Dot.class]

I infer from this that there is something suspicious going on

regards
Bernard
DaveHolmes
Posted 26/06/2012 - 14:45 Link
My Norton anti-virus has just stopped 3 attacks while browsing this site...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
pentax
Posted 26/06/2012 - 15:53 Link
I logged on to pentax user site yesterday and Norton told me it had blocked a malware site
Derek

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.