Simon Arron - 12 bits of nonsense from 2014

simonarron

Link Posted 08/01/2015 - 07:47
I feel a touch uncomfortable attempting this, given a) the extremely high quality of similarly themed galleries and b) a rather limited range of subject matter. My 2014 output involved 56 motorsport events (mostly four wheels, sometimes two), several zoos/nature reserves... and not much else. Here, then are some consequences.

January: greylag madness in Kelsey Park, Beckenham (K-5 IIs, Sigma 100-300)

February: house-hunting in Kelsey Park (K-5 IIs, Sigma 100-300)

March: Group C cars let loose for a high-speed demo during the 72nd Goodwood Members' Meeting (the first since 1966 - K-5 IIs, Sigma 50-150)

April: I had to include one shot from Oulton Park, as it's my favourite place on the planet. The start of the 2014 British GT Championship (K-5 IIs, Sigma 100-300)

May: I missed the Monaco GP for the first time since about 1997, but the Masters Historic Festival at Brands Hatch was adequate compensation (K-5 IIs, Sigma 100-300)

June: the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power remains one of UK motorsport's unsung gems (K-5, Sigma 50-150)

July: car racing returns to Mallory Park after a hiatus triggered by a spat over noise levels. Happily, a new management team has secured the circuit's future (K-5, Sigma 50-150)

August: this was my first visit to an Aintree event since car racing stopped in the summer of 1982. The bikers still use it several times per annum, though, and the track looked much the same as I remembered (K-5 IIs, Sigma 50-150)

September: young trumpeter swan spies its first Pentax, possibly (K-5 IIs, DA 300 & 1.4 TC)

October: one shot, a zillion photographic clichés (K-5, Sigma 50-150)

November: the Thames doing not very much (pano from K-5 IIs, Sigma 10-20)

December: Christmas lights on Regent Street with an early present I bought myself when Amazon France had a lightning deal (K-3, Sigma 10-20

Nigelk

Link Posted 08/01/2015 - 08:18
Enjoyed this series very much, thank you. My fav. is Greylag madness, great wild life action shot.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 08/01/2015 - 09:40
Very nice set... unusual combo and juxtaposition, wildlife and motorsport... Jan, Feb and December for me... Jan in particular is a super combination of grace, action and chaos...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Daronl

Link Posted 08/01/2015 - 10:03
Well Simon, if that is "nonsense" I wish I could do some " nonsense" too; great collection

Regards

simonarron wrote:
I feel a touch uncomfortable attempting this, given a) the extremely high quality of similarly themed galleries and b) a rather limited range of subject matter. My 2014 output involved 56 motorsport events (mostly four wheels, sometimes two), several zoos/nature reserves... and not much else. Here, then are some consequences.

January: greylag madness in Kelsey Park, Beckenham (K-5 IIs, Sigma 100-300)

February: house-hunting in Kelsey Park (K-5 IIs, Sigma 100-300)

March: Group C cars let loose for a high-speed demo during the 72nd Goodwood Members' Meeting (the first since 1966 - K-5 IIs, Sigma 50-150)

April: I had to include one shot from Oulton Park, as it's my favourite place on the planet. The start of the 2014 British GT Championship (K-5 IIs, Sigma 100-300)

May: I missed the Monaco GP for the first time since about 1997, but the Masters Historic Festival at Brands Hatch was adequate compensation (K-5 IIs, Sigma 100-300)

June: the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power remains one of UK motorsport's unsung gems (K-5, Sigma 50-150)

July: car racing returns to Mallory Park after a hiatus triggered by a spat over noise levels. Happily, a new management team has secured the circuit's future (K-5, Sigma 50-150)

August: this was my first visit to an Aintree event since car racing stopped in the summer of 1982. The bikers still use it several times per annum, though, and the track looked much the same as I remembered (K-5 IIs, Sigma 50-150)

September: young trumpeter swan spies its first Pentax, possibly (K-5 IIs, DA 300 & 1.4 TC)

October: one shot, a zillion photographic clichés (K-5, Sigma 50-150)

November: the Thames doing not very much (pano from K-5 IIs, Sigma 10-20)

December: Christmas lights on Regent Street with an early present I bought myself when Amazon France had a lightning deal (K-3, Sigma 10-20

Daronl

davidtrout

Link Posted 08/01/2015 - 10:38
For a 'rather limited' range of subject matter you've packed in a hugely enjoyable variety of themes here Simon. As always you motor sport pictures are of the highest quality, your panning skills for instance are always spot on, no doubt due to years of experience. And your natural history shots are also varied and interesting. I love the greylag madness picture.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 08/01/2015 - 10:39

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 08/01/2015 - 11:14
Very enjoyable, I like January, very nice subdued colours with a great sense of movement, also a favourite because I used to feed the ducks in Kelsey Park when I were but a lad and the world was young....great panning shots too, I see you are also a fan of the Sigma 50-150, one of my favourite lenses!
Everything Changes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/

redbusa99

Link Posted 08/01/2015 - 11:26
excellent set Simon and as always in awe of your panning abilities, really enjoyed looking at these
odd lens or 2

Flickr

DrOrloff

Link Posted 08/01/2015 - 19:40
Excellent. For all the classy motorsports images the standout for me is the geese - what a dynamic image.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

McBrian

Link Posted 09/01/2015 - 21:13
And then there was one (hope I've not missed anybody

Another great set Simon, I always enjoy your motor sport pics but on this occasion January triumphs
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

kingalew

Link Posted 10/01/2015 - 01:09
Another top quality set, congrats. Love november - sentimentally, I fitted the bathroom panels in albion riverside, the spaceship shaped building in the centre. It was my first UK job back in 2003.
www.flickr.com/photos/kingalew/
Current - K3, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 70-300mm, Pentax DA 35mm f2.4, Pentax DA 18-55mm WR, Pentax DA 50-200mm WR, Pentax Da 50mm f1.8, Sigma manual 28mm, Pentax Ltd 40mm f2.8, Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 10/01/2015 - 06:22
The greylag geese shot is my favourite bird picture of the year.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

alfpics

Link Posted 10/01/2015 - 09:45
January's greylag geese is my favourite along with capturing the exhaust flames from the car in the Mallory Park shot
Andy

wvbarnes

Link Posted 10/01/2015 - 10:27
Enjoyable set Simon and always good to see your motor sport work. June makes for a most unusual composition.

davidstorm

Link Posted 11/01/2015 - 17:00
Pretty excellent stuff Simon, despite your obvious prowess with Motorsport images, my personal favourite in this set is the first one of the Geese.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.