Silkypix Will Not Fill My Laptop Screen

josh

Link Posted 08/02/2008 - 19:55
Hope someone can help me. A s a new owner of K10 downloaded Silkypix and Phot Lab will not fill my screen. Stays fiixed in top right corner of my screen, Also it fails to read my raw dng files.
Comments on any other software packages I could consider would be most welcome.
Cheers, Josh.

iceblinker

Link Posted 08/02/2008 - 20:42
I'm not sure if you have a proper version of Silkypix or not.

The full downloadable version will fill any screen. I use a copy on both my desktop PC and my widescreen laptop. It's an excellent program.

I'm surprised if it doesn't suppot DNG. If that's true it probably won't continue to be true for long as Silkypix regularly release updates to support new cameras.

Note that Pentax PEF files contain just as much info as DNGs - and these are definitely supported by Silkypix. You only need be stuck with DNG if your camera is a Samsung.
~Pete

josh

Link Posted 08/02/2008 - 20:47
Thanks for your reply, I just loaded the the Photolab CD bundled with the K10.
Cheers, Josh.

iceblinker

Link Posted 08/02/2008 - 20:56
I've just checked: Silkypix 3.0 supports the Sungsung cameras - so I would expect it to work with Pentax's DNGs too.

Sorry I don't know the software bundled with the K10D (as I don't have a K10D yet!). The Pentax "LAB" program I tried - that's based on the Silkypix engine - is very poor compared to the real thing from Silkypix with a far bigger and better user interface.

Anyway I would recommend trying the latest download from Silkypix. There is a free trial option. After that it costs seventy-odd quid to continue with the full version. It's excellent in my opinion - but of course you should consider alternatives before buying. There are a lot out there - some of them cheaper or free.
~Pete

edwood

Link Posted 10/03/2008 - 21:51
im in the same boat as you josh i installed silkypix and it wont fill the screen ,any body know whats up
regards edwood

iceblinker

Link Posted 10/03/2008 - 22:11
Update to my message above: I now have a K10D, and does not come with Silkypix. It comes with Lab - that is just based on Silkypix's engine.

Don't bother with Lab, is my advice.

If you download the full version of Silkypix it will fill any screen.
~Pete

MX veteran

Link Posted 10/03/2008 - 22:31
The Pentax photolab which comes "free" with the camera is priced correctly, no one would pay for it! Don't let this put you off Silkypix proper. I got the full version of Silkypix on trial and was so impressed with how easy it is to use (all this computer photo processing is totally new to me) that I bought it. Pentax photolab will only work with RAW and is such a hotch potch of windows that it is enough to put you off, as it nearly did to me.
K100D Super, 18-55, 50-200, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 70mm macro and lots of old lenses

Argee

Link Posted 11/03/2008 - 11:03
josh wrote:
Hope someone can help me. A s a new owner of K10 downloaded Silkypix and Phot Lab will not fill my screen. Stays fiixed in top right corner of my screen.

That's what it does, the window is not resizeable. The view is adjustable, however (see below).

josh wrote:
Also it fails to read my raw dng files.
Comments on any other software packages I could consider would be most welcome.

You need to open the file in the Pentax Browser first, then call up the Laboratory software using the icon second from right at the top of the Browser programme. Once loaded, click on the magnifying glass icon and choose a zoom factor from 25% to 400%, then use the scroll bars in the resultant window.

Regarding other software, the full version of SilkyPix is superb. The interface can be a little daunting at first, as can the size of the help file, but it really is worth the effort.

There's an excellent tutorial here by MattMatic. HTH

Ray.
Z1, K10D, D-BG2 Grip, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, DA 1:3.5-6.3 18-250mm ED AL(IF), AF540FGZ Flash, FA 1:1.7 50mm, DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited, Wireless Remote (Did I offend you? Click here).
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.