Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM available for Pentax

KZ

Link Posted 14/10/2010 - 20:05

MrCynical

Link Posted 14/10/2010 - 20:40
Quote:
estimated street price of $899

That should put it in about the same price bracket as the FA77 by the time it gets over here. The Sigma has the obvious advantages of speed and HSM (and quickshift?), while the FA77 has tactile quality, compactness and pixie dust. Assuming that the Sigma doesn't FF horrifically like their 50 f1.4s did, it could actually be quite an interesting matchup.

Quote:
Sigma Corporation of America (www.sigmaphoto.com), a leading researcher, developer, manufacturer and service provider of some of the world's most impressive lines of lenses, cameras and flashes

Pentax also wins on modesty
Last Edited by MrCynical on 14/10/2010 - 20:41

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 14/10/2010 - 21:03
I was going to put another thread after reading the dpreview article.
However I shall add it here.

Which would you choose? the 77mm Limited or the Sigma 85mm?

77mm
Advantages - It's a Limited so well built, fine optics, smaller than the sigma.
Disadvantages - no SDM (might be a plus or a minus depending on your point of view), optics are not optimised for Digital as its pre DSLR (but still stunning nevertheless), not as fast as the Sigma, More expensive (£110 more according to WEX - SRS has no price for the Sigma yet)

85mm
Advantages - Faster, has SDM (see above), Optics will be good as an EX model, popular focal length for portraits.
Disadvantages - No AF on film bodies, "it's a Sigma" stigma to other togs (yes there are people out there who put their nose up at sigma, i'm not one of them), cheaper than the Limited.

Personally, it would be a tough choice, but I would go for the Pentax, if only for its reputation as one of the finest Pentax optics ever, but I would understand why people would go for the Sigma.
If I had the money, I would have both.
Some Cameras

MrCynical

Link Posted 14/10/2010 - 22:32
I knew there was something I'd forgotten about the FA77 - and the PF is probably its biggest 'flaw'.

Also, in saying that the Sigma has SDM you're missing the vital point: that Sigma's HSM doesn't have the crippling reliability concerns which sunk Pentax's SDM.

I think of the two I would probably rather have the FA77 too, purely because of the "wow factor" - it seems to be a thing of beauty both in its images and mechanically. Still, with the cost of either of them and the fact that I just ordered a lens it isn't a dilemma I need to pay too much attention to in the near future
Last Edited by MrCynical on 14/10/2010 - 22:35

K10D

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 00:27
MrCynical wrote:
Also, in saying that the Sigma has SDM you're missing the vital point: that Sigma's HSM doesn't have the crippling reliability concerns which sunk Pentax's SDM.

A tad harsh I fear?

Best regards

gillbod

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 08:09
i think it's about in the uk too.

i saw one in a canon mount in jacob's on the king's road for 699 quid. they didn't have one in a pentax mount, but it's a sign that they are around, or will be shortly.
k7, 15/4, 31/1.8, 70/2.4, 200/2.8, Metz 58

MrCynical

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 09:33
K10D wrote:
A tad harsh I fear?

Well, if they're bad enough for Pentax to spend a considerable amount of R&D money (something they aren't exactly flush with) on developing a completely new focus motor I'm not sure that it is harsh to be honest.

Warehouse Express have them in Canon mount too - makes sense for Sigma to get them out to their biggest market first.
Last Edited by MrCynical on 15/10/2010 - 09:34

Mike-P

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 10:35
MrCynical wrote:
K10D wrote:
A tad harsh I fear?

Well, if they're bad enough for Pentax to spend a considerable amount of R&D money (something they aren't exactly flush with) on developing a completely new focus motor I'm not sure that it is harsh to be honest.

As I have said before .. yes the 16-50mm & 50-135mm have had problems which have now hopefully been sorted but apart from the odd mention the 55mm, 17-70mm, 200mm, 60-250mm and 300mm have been fine.

I bought my 16-50mm off Ebay used and it hasn't caused me a single problem (touch wood), likewise the 50-135mm I recently sold.

The only thing I have against the DA* range is the focus speed, otherwise I can't fault any of the 4 I own.
. My Flickr

MrCynical

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 11:46
Mike-P wrote:
As I have said before .. yes the 16-50mm & 50-135mm have had problems which have now hopefully been sorted

In that case why have Pentax gone to the enormous expense of developing a new focus motor? Most people whose SDM hasn't failed seem happy with it, so I can't see much beyond reliability that they gain by doing so.

Mike-P

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 11:51
MrCynical wrote:

In that case why have Pentax gone to the enormous expense of developing a new focus motor? Most people whose SDM hasn't failed seem happy with it, so I can't see much beyond reliability that they gain by doing so.

As per my previous post the only issue I have is focus speed .. maybe the new motor addresses this problem as I know a lot of others are of the same opinion.

After all, no use upgrading the focusing in the K-5 if their lenses can't keep up.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 15/10/2010 - 11:52

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 16/10/2010 - 16:43
Mike-P wrote:
MrCynical wrote:

As per my previous post the only issue I have is focus speed .. maybe the new motor addresses this problem as I know a lot of others are of the same opinion.

After all, no use upgrading the focusing in the K-5 if their lenses can't keep up.

Quite.

Have to say I actually laughed out loud at your comment MrCynical. It's rare for me to do that when reading something.

You might enjoy reading this, and perhaps you can then let every other manufacturer know how poor they are at producing lenses. I can't imagine any Pentax lens has had a 41.5% failure rate, but it would be interesting to hear Chris@SRSMicrosystems' findings once his rental scheme has been running longer.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

Anvh

Link Posted 16/10/2010 - 17:56
Mike-P wrote:
MrCynical wrote:

The new DC motor is i believe the SDM equivalent used for the lower end lenses.
The SDM motor has more torque needed for the heavier elements in the faster DA* lenses.
At least that's my understanding form the whole.

So.
DC for lighter the lighter lenses (normal DA)
SDM for the heavier lenses (DA* lenses)
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 16/10/2010 - 17:57

Anvh

Link Posted 16/10/2010 - 18:01
Daniel Bridge wrote:
You might enjoy reading this, and perhaps you can then let every other manufacturer know how poor they are at producing lenses. I can't imagine any Pentax lens has had a 41.5% failure rate, but it would be interesting to hear Chris@SRSMicrosystems' findings once his rental scheme has been running longer.

Dan

read a bit further and you will find this.

The Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is joining the Sigma 120-400 and 150-500 (45% failure rate) in the Lensrentals Hall of Shame: lenses we no longer carry because their failure rate is so high we just canít afford them. Almost half of them have failed, usually after 3 to 6 months in service.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

MrCynical

Link Posted 17/10/2010 - 00:45
Anvh wrote:
The new DC motor is i believe the SDM equivalent used for the lower end lenses.
The SDM motor has more torque needed for the heavier elements in the faster DA* lenses.
At least that's my understanding form the whole.

So.
DC for lighter the lighter lenses (normal DA)
SDM for the heavier lenses (DA* lenses)

I was under the impression from the discussion of the patent Hoya got that the DC motors are an entirely new technology, and more than feasible as a replacement for SDM.

Also, I can't imagine that the new 18-135 requires less motor torque to focus than, say, the DA*55 prime.
Last Edited by MrCynical on 17/10/2010 - 00:45

Anvh

Link Posted 17/10/2010 - 13:29
MrCynical wrote:
I was under the impression from the discussion of the patent Hoya got that the DC motors are an entirely new technology, and more than feasible as a replacement for SDM.

Also, I can't imagine that the new 18-135 requires less motor torque to focus than, say, the DA*55 prime.

New technology
The DC is simply a brush-less direct current motor, nothing new about those.
I do think though that Pentax might be the first one to use them in their lenses.

The DA*55 is older then the DA 18-135, also the DA*55 is f/1.4 so probably the elements that move for focusing can be heavier, don't know about the design of the DA 18-135 so can't say.
Also the SDM is more efficient as far as i know.

If you want to read link
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 17/10/2010 - 13:41
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.