Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro

davidstorm

Link Posted 06/02/2019 - 21:17
derek897 wrote:
royd63uk wrote:
Quote:
No aperture ring though which is restrictive for a macro lens.

you just set it via the camera, you have full controls from that

It would be restrictive for macro for anyone using contactless ext tubes, all bellows and anyone using butchered zoom methods / setups.

Hi Derek, not restrictive for a butchered zoom as you would have the aperture contacts on the glass-less zoom. Probably not a great setup though, a butchered zoom is more useful with a reversed 50mm lens or a reversed enlarger lens.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

derek897

Link Posted 06/02/2019 - 22:51
davidstorm wrote:
derek897 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

It would be restrictive for macro for anyone using contactless ext tubes, all bellows and anyone using butchered zoom methods / setups.

Hi Derek, not restrictive for a butchered zoom as you would have the aperture contacts on the glass-less zoom. Probably not a great setup though, a butchered zoom is more useful with a reversed 50mm lens or a reversed enlarger lens.

Regards
David

Cool, having not gone down that route, I had assumed the glassless zoom would be on the camera, leaving the 70mm reversed on it, without any means of changing aperture.
I know what i like, If not always why.

davidstorm

Link Posted 06/02/2019 - 22:59
derek897 wrote:
davidstorm wrote:
Quote:
royd63uk wrote:
Quote:

Regards
David

Cool, having not gone down that route, I had assumed the glassless zoom would be on the camera, leaving the 70mm reversed on it, without any means of changing aperture.

Hi Derek

You are correct, but you don't need to change the aperture on the reversed lens, typically that lens is wide open with the aperture controlled by the butchered zoom. That's one reason why you need quality glass in the reversed lens.

Cheers
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

derek897

Link Posted 06/02/2019 - 23:15
Makes sense now David. Thanks for that.
Genuinely didn't know.
I know what i like, If not always why.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 07/02/2019 - 01:25
Get an A series f1.7 off Ebay and take the glass out of it (it's quite easy to do). You now have a fully camera controllable extension tube onto which you can reverse whatever you like. I sometimes use an old FA 35/80 because the filter ring is the same size (49mm) and you can zoom it ! It vignettes but the middle bit is plenty big enough to use. ..... (This thread has gone way off track )
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Last Edited by davidwozhere on 07/02/2019 - 01:28

johnriley

Link Posted 07/02/2019 - 07:39
The lens has fortunately been sold, if it hadn't been then the diversion in the thread could have hampered the sale. It's much better to start a new thread for discussions that have value to others in the appropriate forum sections, because here they won't be noticed and it's a pity to waste good information!
Best regards, John

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.