Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Sigma 70-300 f4.0-5.6 DG Macro

RobL
Posted 11/09/2018 - 15:03 Link
I love the rendition and quality of the Pentax DFA*70-200 f2.8 but am finding it adds a considerable weight to my bag, and am rather regretting selling the Pentax 55-300mm although it is only APF-C. I am keenly awaiting the 70-200 f4.0 due next spring (say summer) but in the meantime I bought this Sigma lens (£129.00) as a lighter model for when I am on walks to take landscape shots. It is a curious creature, as the barrel extends considerably and past 200mm you can switch it to 'macro' when it gets even longer. A bit awkward to hold steady at full length and you have to wind in the focus to switch back from macro to normal; not true macro as it is about 2:1 but could be handy. Here are a few in macro mode I just took to try out:
Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

This last one of the rose looked rather dull and flat on the back of the camera but it lifted ok in PP. For comparison here's one I took yesterday with the 24-70mm f2.8:
Comment Image
which has much richer colour. It clearly cannot replace a lens costing 15x as much but I think it will do as a 'just in case' lens in the bag. Does anyone else have this lens?
Edited by RobL: 11/09/2018 - 15:06
Algernon
Posted 11/09/2018 - 15:55 Link
Is the first one the Sigma lens.... It looks very old I can see why it would be awkward to hold steady at full length.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.