Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

ZaphodB

Link Posted 31/05/2007 - 18:26
Hi all. I used the search function but couldn't find an answer for this. Basically I'm hoping to find out whether the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is no longer made for the K mount. Pentax mount is missing from their site and from their catalogue. Now I know it was available for the K-mount, and the 50-500 is available in HSM and non-HSM versions , so how come no non-HSM 70-200 for Pentax now? Do I have to buy used? If so that could be a problem since I'm attempting a part exchange... argh.
Do you know where your towel is?

Classvino

Link Posted 31/05/2007 - 20:00
Apparently the new model : http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3316&navigator=3 is supposed to be available in July sometime...

I've been quoted about $1200 Canadian here...
--------------
MZ-6,K10D,K20D,Grip,DA*Zooms,DA 18-55-200 Kit,FA50,1.7TC,AFZ360
For Saleentax FA28-90,FA100-300,Sigma EX28-80,DC18-200,
Makinon 500mm Mirror

ZaphodB

Link Posted 31/05/2007 - 20:28
Thanks. One thing I hadn't really noticed before; there's no aperture ring, so no using in on my MZ5N, p30 or any mechanical cameras. Annoying since one of the main reasons I was considering the Sigma was that it would work with 35mm as well as digital. Looks like I'll have to either try to find a Tokina instead, or get the Sigma and exchange my film bodies for ones with automatic aperture selection. Argh, again. anyway thanks for the info!

Pwynnej

Link Posted 31/05/2007 - 21:53
Hmmmm
Interesting, the US site says the HSM version is due soon....

But it seems the DG Macro version is no longer available as new.......you might be able to pick one up somewhere...

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 31/05/2007 - 23:45
Pwynnej wrote:
Hmmmm
Interesting, the US site says the HSM version is due soon....

Not necessarily with HSM in the Pentax mount, the older versions were just HSM for Canon and Nikon (and Sigma?). Sony don't support HSM as far as I know, but that mount's 'coming soon'.

Pwynnej wrote:
But it seems the DG Macro version is no longer available as new.......you might be able to pick one up somewhere...

Is this not the DG Macro? Has this version ever been released in Pentax fit?

Dan

McBrian

Link Posted 01/06/2007 - 08:21
The DG Macro version has never been made in Pentax mount, the last one I know of in Pentax mount was was the EX 70-200f2.8 APO DG, I know this is correct because I have one

cunduct an eBay search here.......

and I find this........................

http://tinyurl.com/2pnytz

http: //cgi.ebay.co.uk/ SIGMA-Tele-70-200mm-f-2-8-EX-DG-APO-Macro-HSM-F-PENTAX _W0QQitemZ130120120454QQihZ003QQ categoryZ30070QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(Moderator note: Changed to a tinyurl for formatting )

reputable dealer if somewhat pricey on delivery.

EDIT

On further reading (bottom of description) this lens is not HSM and I doubt it is macro too, this looks like the lens I have, I would make a phone call first before I took the plunge.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

Pwynnej

Link Posted 01/06/2007 - 09:34
I am so confused..... I bought my non-DG only about 18 months ago

Stonking lens

Thought it was feeling lonely, now it has company in the form of the 100-300 f4 EX (non-DG).

ZaphodB

Link Posted 01/06/2007 - 10:16
Hey thanks for all the replies. Just to complicate things further... I just got a call from the shop where I was trying to buy the Sigma on part exchange. Sigma say they don't make the new version in Pentax, as we thought, but also that if they do it may not be for several months (so July looks very unlikely). On the other hand their US site (thanks Classvino for the link) says Pentax mount is "coming soon"... of course by know we know that "soon" has a different definition for optics companies

So I guess my options are...
1) See if the shop can try and source the older non-macro version (pretty unlikely I'm guessing).
2) Give up on the Sigma and see if they can get hold of a Tokina or something else.
3) Try to track down a Sigma or other lens myself, but that would mean asking for all my part-exchanged equipment back from the shop and e-Baying it myself (would rather not ) ...

OK mind if I change the subject slightly now? Assuming that I can't get the Sigma, what would you consider a good alternative? I've seen a Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8, but noticeably cheaper than the Sigma (which is odd because on lower-end lenses I always felt the Tokina were better than the Sigma). Does anyone have experience with that Tokina? If not is there anything else I could be looking for? I'd basically like something that covers a similar range to the Sigma, 70-200 or thereabouts, and fast; f/2.8 unless you know of a really spectacular f/4. I'd like it to work with 35mm; the image circle needs to be large enough for that, and finally an aperture ring would be ideal but not essential (I guess I'll have to buy an *ist or something for film work now). Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Update: I just called Sigma UK myself. They are taking orders for the Pentax mount but have no idea when it will be available. Optics companies and internal communication seem to be incompatible.

Mongoose

Link Posted 01/06/2007 - 11:06
sorry I can't help you lens wise, but with regards to the body I saw an MZ-7 go for about 35 on ebay recently. The MZ-7 has the advantage of both an aperture ring coupler (so can use M series lenses in Av mode with no penalty) AND aperture control from the body if you want it.

Those as have them don't often sell, but if you can get one, or it's upgraded cousin the MZ-6, it is just about the most versatile Pentax film body from the point of view of lens compatibility.

McBrian

Link Posted 01/06/2007 - 11:10
Quote:
unless you know of a really spectacular f/4

The Pentax DA 50-200 f4-5.6 immediately springs to mind, IMO for around 160 it has to be the best value zoom you will get in Pentax AF.
Cheers
Brian.

Mongoose

Link Posted 01/06/2007 - 11:15
McBrian wrote:
Quote:
unless you know of a really spectacular f/4

The Pentax DA 50-200 f4-5.6 immediately springs to mind, IMO for around 160 it has to be the best value zoom you will get in Pentax AF.

If you can put up with the slower speed then this is certainly the case, I love mine to bits and if I do ever upgrade it will only be because I want more speed.

MattMatic

Link Posted 01/06/2007 - 11:37
And you don't need to have been training at the gym for the DA50-200
It's a carry-everywhere lens (unlike the f/2.8 lenses )
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Mongoose

Link Posted 01/06/2007 - 12:09
MattMatic wrote:
And you don't need to have been training at the gym for the DA50-200
It's a carry-everywhere lens (unlike the f/2.8 lenses )
Matt

absolutely, it tucks neatly in the bottom of my long nose camera bag with the 18-55 on the camera. 18-200 in one bag, weighs almost nothing and great photos throughout the range. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Sigma

McBrian

Link Posted 01/06/2007 - 12:47
Been thinking hard due to this post, if it wasn't for the need of a fast lens for football/sports in general, I would consider selling my Sigma, I much prefer to carry the DA50-200 in the bag and I also reckon the DA images have a far better bokeh, the Sigma bokeh can be a bit harsh/confused depending on the background.

But I'll have to keep it till I can afford a replacment DA*
Cheers
Brian.

ZaphodB

Link Posted 01/06/2007 - 12:48
Thanks for the suggestions; you all seem pretty happy with the Pentax 50-200... is it really that good even wide-open? I've been using a Tamron 70-300 which is ok but really needs to be stopped down to f/8. Prior to that I had a manual focus Kiron-made Vivitar which was ok but again needed to be stopped down past f/5.6 which I found a bit limiting. To be honest I'd rather have that extra speed of the f/2.8 and know that I can stop down to whether other zooms start for better performance. As for the weight I think I need the exercise

I'm planning to take a look at the new Pentax 50-135mm DA* f/2.8 which is actually cheaper than the new Sigma; but I can't see myself going for it since I have fast 50s and think 135 is a bit short, plus if I'm investing in a good lens I'd like to be able to use it with film too. But still I'll take a look... and I wonder whatever happened to the 60-250 that was supposed to be released with the new 16-50 and 50-135? Anyway for now I'm keeping my order placed for that Sigma but will continue looking for more currently existing alternatives
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.