Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Sigma 50mm f2.8 ex dg macro

pentaxboyo
Posted 30/04/2010 - 16:18 Link
Hi

Anyone out there who's got some advice and tips on using this macro lens.
I've figured out the aperture ring bit!! I'm using a K10:
ade.

Kr,K10D,pentax 50-200mm sigma 50mm f2.8 macro and Tamron 70-300mm
Anvh
Posted 30/04/2010 - 18:21 - Helpful Comment Link
Focus close and use your body to get it perfect, of course the best thing is to use a focus rail on a tripod.
Also because the focus is so close the depth of field is very small, you often fiend yourself shooting at f/8 or higher.

hmm aperture ring bit? you don't need to use the aperture with that lens you can just use the dials on the camera I believe.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 30/04/2010 - 18:23
Mongoose
Posted 30/04/2010 - 18:42 - Helpful Comment Link
the only "aperture ring bit" you should need with that lens on a K10D is "stick it in 'A' and forget it's got one".

If you're feeling really die hard old school there's nothing to stop you using the aperture ring in the same way you would on an M series lens, but it will just make the metering less acurate.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
pentaxboyo
Posted 30/04/2010 - 20:51 Link
Thanks guys
ade.

Kr,K10D,pentax 50-200mm sigma 50mm f2.8 macro and Tamron 70-300mm
Stuey
Posted 30/04/2010 - 21:02 Link
Hello

I have this lens and love it

I agree with using the auto apeture, however, on my k10d using manual focus is often better for macro work, I do not have a focus rail but do have and use a Uniloc system 1700 tripod which works for me.

As you will have noticed the lens can be extremely close to the subject and still focus so using manual focus is often easier all round.

I also use this lens as a walk around lens as it produces fantastic results as long as 50mm on the cropped sensor suits your walk around photography.

Hope this helps

Stuey
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
womble
Posted 01/05/2010 - 00:35 Link
This was the first lens I bought for my K10D after the kit lens which came with it. It is very sharp indeed and generally a great lens, although quite bulky.

For macro work manual focus is the way to go. Best on a tripod although you can set it at the magnification you want and then slowly sway a little back and forth snapping as you go. With the latter method you will waste lots of shots but provided it is a static subject that doesn't matter, just be harsh with yourself when editing. Remember that focus confirmation is the green hexagon not the red spot.

If you look at my "Tattered cover" shots in "Your Photos" and the poppy in my gallery, they were all shot with this lens.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.